Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Seafood! (and the sea)

When I was much younger I lived in or near port cities. I loved fresh seafood and I enjoyed seeing it in the markets. Later, I ended up about as far from a seacoast as one can get in America (downstate Illinois) and in those days the available seafood didn't go much further than blocks of frozen cod. When I first came to China, it was nice to be back in a port city, but the job market was more active inland. Farewell, to the sea, for now. I've been inland for more than 15 years now, but I still think about taking time to visit the coast.

That may change.

Fiancee 2.1 is from Hunan, but she lived for several years in a port city herself. One of our common interests is that she loves to binge on seafood once a week or so, with a really big blow out once or twice a month. It hasn't been worth it to go back to the coast on my own, but the high speed rail makes Tianjin a very easy jaunt and I'm thinking we might make that an extension to our seafood indulgences.

So, what are your thoughts on living by the sea, and even if you don't how do you feel about seafood?

My earliest years of childhood were inland, but I was in Baltimore by the time I was four or five (long time ago) and I grew up used to seeing things like storms and stacks of fresh caught fish staring back at me. I love markets like that, but I know people who are seriously freaked out by a fish with its head on, the sight of an octopus, or the idea of eating a crustacean.

I would have liked to do a poll, but that gets awkward when I try to cover both sea and seafood.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Something about sea food that i just dont like.

Maybe its the salty taste or the smell but i just cant stomach seafood.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like shrimp, and that's about it. I can't stand the smell of crab, that boiled salty watery smell, gross. I do like lobster, but not for the price places charge for it. Far as fish goes, I like whatever it is that passes for fish at Long John Silver's, and that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

i would like to live by the ocean, if i were rich enough to have a flood proof and hurricane proof house built. we used to go down to myrtle beach in south carolina ever other summer or so when i was younger, and the view from the balcony was always wonderful. seeing storm clouds over the oceans is just amazing.

sea food, i do love fish and shrimp. especially shrimp.

Shrimp, crab and lobster are all some of my favorite foods.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Same, I'm not a fan. That said kicking back and watching the ocean and listening to the surf is relaxing.
    Definitely i love the ocean and the seaside its just i dont much care for eating anything that comes from it.

I've lived near salt water most of my life, but the beaches here are much better for kites/frisbee/birdwatching than swimming/relaxing.

I really love most kinds of seafood- at least all of the usual fare- except oysters. Growing up, we did seafood brunch for my mom's birthday, and I would gorge myself on cocktail shrimp and clams/mussels in the shell. My uncle is a fisherman and once or twice a year we'd get Salmon or Dungeness Crab from him. The day after Christmas we'd usually cover the table in newspaper and the whole extended family would crack crabs together.

Deleted
    Well i live on an island so I'm around 15 KM away from the Sea at all times. I absolutely hate seafood never liked fish or anything that looks like an insect, my grandfather smokes flounders which does taste fairly good but can't eat to much of it and i haven't eaten it in around ten years.

I love how good it tastes so much that I still sometimes eat it even though I get sick for 1-2 days every time I eat it depending on what it is. Fish (2 days), crab/shrimp/other crustaceans (1 day). I only started to become allergic to it in my early 20s, so I learned to love it before it made me sick.

I don't live by the sea, though I've spent probably 6 months of my life on a coast combined. I like salt water for short periods of time, but it can be irritating. Grew up in an area with a few marinas though (fresh water), so I still went boating. That's nice too, but except for a couple summers I never really went out on the water every day because I liked doing other things. It was more a place to go drinking when we didn't have anywhere else to go (a few friends had parents with house boats) when we were younger. Owning a boat seems like much more of a hassle than it's worth, considering my experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I've had sushi delivery... so.. mmmm.

I love the water. I don't get much opportunity anymore, but I try to spend at least a week or two every year camping/fishing.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    I don't eat anything from the sea. I can't stand the smell nor the taste.

I'm a land animal and if I was supposed to eat fish or clams I would've been born as a seal or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I don't eat anything from the sea. I can't stand the smell nor the taste.

I'm a land animal and if I was supposed to eat fish or clams I would've been born as a seal or something.
    I agree, don't mind Cod, but I think we might as well concrete over the sea. Its full of monsters and I wouldn't miss fish that much.

15+ Year Old Account
    i cant believe how many people dont like seafood.....you guys must have never had good baked clams or scallops.......so good

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could eat it all the time, and did while growing up. But living in a community where we have a giant lobster industry makes it pretty easy to do.

What sucks is starting in my mid twenties I slowly started developing an allergy to pretty much every type of seafood. Some of it just gives me the shits, while most of it just makes me itch a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in a coastal state, and was recently treated to a dinner date at an upscale seafood restaurant.

I ordered a whole crab, it was served with spicy chili butter and focaccia.

And the most amazing clam chowder I've ever had in my life.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've lived near the sea almost my entire life apart from a few years in Enschede (Netherlands). I love the sea, and I also enjoy seafood.

I've lived in a port city my whole life. I despise sea food and how much we have of it here. Makes any place stink.

Can't stand seafood, everything from the texture to the smell and just thinking about the look of most of it cause me nausea.

I've lived 5mins away from nice beaches for most of my life, still enjoy going fishing sometimes. Oddly enough I don't actually like fish as a food but I very much enjoy pretty much any shellfish/bivalve type of food.

sea food is great fresh and prepared, but that takes so much work.

I find it odd that clam chowder can last for so long though. It has a unique taste that's great for beginning sea food appetite, and when I see the words chowder and bisque in a restaurant, I might drool.