Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Now for a rather pointless question, but nonetheless it's a question that's been bugging me:

Which song is it? Namely, who had the right of it...Garlemald or Ala Mhigo?

I refer to the song that you first hear playing during the Garlean ceremony (of sorts) at the Royal Palace. After defeating the final boss, you then join the chorus of resistance + alliance forces atop the Palace and sing a different song, but to the same instrumentals. Originally, I figured this to be the Garlean national anthem...but now I'm wondering if it was actually that of Ala Mhigo, only to have the Empire re-write it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Now for a rather pointless question, but nonetheless it's a question that's been bugging me:

Which song is it? Namely, who had the right of it...Garlemald or Ala Mhigo?

I refer to the song that you first hear playing during the Garlean ceremony (of sorts) at the Royal Palace. After defeating the final boss, you then join the chorus of resistance + alliance forces atop the Palace and sing a different song, but to the same instrumentals. Originally, I figured this to be the Garlean national anthem...but now I'm wondering if it was actually that of Ala Mhigo, only to have the Empire re-write it for them.
    My guess is it's Ala Mhigan that was modified by the Empire during occupation.

If you notice during the final scene, Kan-e-Senna, Merlwyrb, Yugiri, Hien, and the Scions are not singing. Only Lyse, Raubaun, and other Ala Mhigans are. That makes me inclined to believe that they knew it from before the Empire's occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    My guess is it's Ala Mhigan that was modified by the Empire during occupation.

If you notice during the final scene, Kan-e-Senna, Merlwyrb, Yugiri, Hien, and the Scions are not singing. Only Lyse, Raubaun, and other Ala Mhigans are. That makes me inclined to believe that they knew it from before the Empire's occupation.
    I didn't notice them not joining in, so that lends more credence to that idea.

Also: The theme of Rhalgr's Reach is an instrumental only version of that same song.

SPOILER for the very end cinematics

Nero does a fucking Magnificent Bastard entrance worthy of the bastardliest of bastards. I love him, and dem glasses.

WE LET THE FUCKIN EYES OF NIDHOGG LIE IN A FLOWER PATCH, UNATTENDED. Where they waiting for the gardener to come clean that shit out!?! Sure they where mostly spent BUT PLEASE, SHOVE THEM IN A FUCKIN JAR AND LOCK THEM AWAY!!.. Still, Estinien handled it, and I guess in a way he's 'free' from Nidhogg now? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BUT WHY THE HELL WHERE THEY JUST LYING THERE!? DID NO ONE BOTHER CHECKING UNDER THE CORPSE!? This was MORE STUPID than throwing them off of a bridge....

all in all, It did feel like we tied up a few too many loose ends, but in the end, that just makes the patches themselves a bit more undpredictable

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Offbeat View Post
    SPOILER for the very end cinematics

Nero does a fucking Magnificent Bastard entrance worthy of the bastardliest of bastards. I love him, and dem glasses.

WE LET THE FUCKIN EYES OF NIDHOGG LIE IN A FLOWER PATCH, UNATTENDED. Where they waiting for the gardener to come clean that shit out!?! Sure they where mostly spent BUT PLEASE, SHOVE THEM IN A FUCKIN JAR AND LOCK THEM AWAY!!.. Still, Estinien handled it, and I guess in a way he's 'free' from Nidhogg now? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BUT WHY THE HELL WHERE THEY JUST LYING THERE!? DID NO ONE BOTHER CHECKING UNDER THE CORPSE!? This was MORE STUPID than throwing them off of a bridge....

all in all, It did feel like we tied up a few too many loose ends, but in the end, that just makes the patches themselves a bit more undpredictable
    I'm just glad we're finally done with those eyes. The amount of times they've been used was getting ridiculous (breaking Azys Lla barrier, destroying an Ascian, turning Thordan into King Thordan/destroying another Ascian, Nidhogg coming back to life, then finally Shinryu summoning).

I'll agree that last point irked me. Estinien seems kind of shoe horned into the whole thing. I had just assumed from the start that the eyes were absorbed as part of the creation of Shinryu at the end of Baelsar's Wall and that was the end of 'em.

Having Estinien return to hunt Shinryu because of Nidhogg's essence being mixed in worked alright for me, but the end appearance seemed unnecessary. I would have preferred he arrive to assist in some other way, like alongside the Ishgardians for the final battle.

I'll agree that last point irked me. Estinien seems kind of shoe horned into the whole thing. I had just assumed from the start that the eyes were absorbed as part of the creation of Shinryu at the end of Baelsar's Wall and that was the end of 'em.

Having Estinien return to hunt Shinryu because of Nidhogg's essence being mixed in worked alright for me, but the end appearance seemed unnecessary. I would have preferred he arrive to assist in some other way, like alongside the Ishgardians for the final battle.
    Estinien will remain a lone wolf, he's now above his previous Azure Dragoon rank...Poor mortals ! Tremble, tremble in fear before :

Estinien, The Deus-Ex Dragoon.

Every time Alphinaud will have a problem, Estinien (secretly in love with him from what we saw from his short SB scenes) will come to save the day !

Honestly my only two complaints are:

- Lyse

She's so wooden, uninspiring and feels shoehorned into the story because she's the 'Ala Mhigan' Scion. I didn't particularly like her as Yda, either, but back then at least she brought some comic relief to the table. Now that she's separated from Papalymo she's so very dull. Take a shot everytime she goes 'uh, um...' during the MSQ's and you'll likely end up with alcohol poisoning.

- Plot convenience

Estinien just happens to show up to disable the Garlean cannon. Most of the protagonists conveniently survive every major battle. The Scions just happen to develop the object needed to drain Fordola of her enhanced strength. Almost everybody conveniently sides with the Scions in the fight to liberate Doma and Ala Mhigo. Injured characters miraculously recover from dire wounds...though I'll forgive that since it ended up leaving Fordola and Yotsuyu intact.

Other than those two elements, though, I feel as though 4.0's story was the best yet. Lots of potential for future greatness, too, if they stick to this level of quality and tightness.

Just finished the 4.0 story. My thoughts going forward.

1)Bitch King Sr. in 5.x.

2)Ascians will do shit to Fordola/Yotsuyu.

3)There will turn out to be Something Wrong with Krile. Thancred-Ascian 2.0 maybe?

4)Urianger REALLY needs a makeover.

5)Nero x Cid is going to be fun to watch.

My only critique: Hien seemed a little too perfect, but since he's the 'ideal Japanese lord' it's not surprising.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Just finished the 4.0 story. My thoughts going forward.

1)Bitch King Sr. in 5.x.

2)Ascians will do shit to Fordola/Yotsuyu.

3)There will turn out to be Something Wrong with Krile. Thancred-Ascian 2.0 maybe?

4)Urianger REALLY needs a makeover.

5)Nero x Cid is going to be fun to watch.

My only critique: Hien seemed a little too perfect, but since he's the 'ideal Japanese lord' it's not surprising.
    Yeah Hien is basically someone for the weebs to idolise
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Yeah Hien is basically someone for the weebs to idolise
    Kinda how I felt about Kugane and all the chars being sooo in awe of it. I thought 'I bet all the little weebs are jizzing themselves over this place'.

Note: I do not use 'weeb' to refer to someone who likes and admires Japanese culture. I use it to refer to the fanatics who hold it up as the epitome of human civilization and will rabidly attack anyone who dares say anything to the contrary.

Kinda how I felt about Kugane and all the chars being sooo in awe of it. I thought 'I bet all the little weebs are jizzing themselves over this place'.

Note: I do not use 'weeb' to refer to someone who likes and admires Japanese culture. I use it to refer to the fanatics who hold it up as the epitome of human civilization and will rabidly attack anyone who dares say anything to the contrary.
    Note: if you feel you need to make the disclaimer, perhaps don't use 'weeb' to begin with x) The FF community is toxic enough without confused people throwing more insults at one another.

Just finished the story. I expected Gosetsu to be alive, did not expect the whole 'trapped on a desert island with the evil christmas cake.

Gosetsu has a hard life.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Just finished the story. I expected Gosetsu to be alive, did not expect the whole 'trapped on a desert island with the evil christmas cake.

Gosetsu has a hard life.
    He needs to meet Hildibrand. :3

I honestly expect his manderville ass to fall out of the sky head first and land there.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I honestly expect his manderville ass to fall out of the sky head first and land there.
    And then Yotsuyu falls in love with him.

Yojimbo needs to return in the Hildebrand questline in 4.0, I say.

Yojimbo needs to return in the Hildebrand questline in 4.0, I say.
    Also Gilgamesh. And Yotsuyu needs to meet Hildy's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Lyse
    I think thats more because she went from an established, albeit uninteresting, character into a new Point-of-View character for 4.0. Throw in some light comic relief and she's basically Vaan minus those washboard abs.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I think thats more because she went from an established, albeit uninteresting, character into a new Point-of-View character for 4.0. Throw in some light comic relief and she's basically Vaan minus those washboard abs.
    She was always the 'lovable goofball' of the group, prior to her development into her current state. Not terribly bright, but fiercely loyal and brave, full of heart. Now she's matured some, still an earnest sort of person, but has seen what it takes to try and lead and is easing into that role.