Palace of the dead question.

Hello, I was wondering something about Palace of the dead because I heard in some threads here that it is the way to go if you are DPS. When I ask my guildmates they say that all XP earned in that dungeon was only for that dungeon so I am confused:
    Can you level a class in palace of the damned and keep the XP and level you earned or is it that you pick a job outside of the dungeon and the XP you earned inside the dungeon is given to the Job you have outside the dungeon? I don't know if I phrased my question so you guys understand, hopefully you will

They mean that the exp you earn in the dungeon is for the lvling system used in potd but upon completion of 10 level chunks you get a big clump of exp for your class in the normal leveling system

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    Hello, I was wondering something about Palace of the dead because I heard in some threads here that it is the way to go if you are DPS. When I ask my guildmates they say that all XP earned in that dungeon was only for that dungeon so I am confused:
    Can you level a class in palace of the damned and keep the XP and level you earned or is it that you pick a job outside of the dungeon and the XP you earned inside the dungeon is given to the Job you have outside the dungeon? I don't know if I phrased my question so you guys understand, hopefully you will
    To illustrate:

Let's say you enter PotD as a gladiator. You're level 25. You start with floors 1-10, which start you at level 1. By the time you've reached the boss at floor 10, you'll be, level 20. Defeat the boss, then zone out and you'll get xp for your actual gladiator level, so let's say it's enough to go to level 26. You enter floors 11-20 and it picks up where you left off after clearing floor 10, so you're going to be level 20 inside PotD.

TL;DR: PotD has it's own leveling system within it, but upon completing a set of floors, you get xp towards the class/job you were on while in there.

Thank you for clearing this guys.

Try and get a floor 50 clear ASAP, once you do you can do 51+, where the real XP farm is at. You can start on floor 51 then, and on that section you'll always be level 60.

I found this handy doc to track exactly how much "real" xp you get from which floors based on your "real" level.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2137694813

So basically, if you're level 60 for realsies, and you do floors 1-10, you'll come out getting 324,000 xp for real. On the other hand if you do floor 51-60, you'll get 583,200 xp. Almost twice as much. But the real selling point of the floors 51-60 are the extremely quick queue times so you can chain run them very fast for xp.

That doc is worthwhile to have handy though because if there's a class you don't really like (or aren't particularly good at) but want to level it just to have it leveled, you may opt to do lowbie floors where you'll have only the most basic of abilities to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I found this handy doc to track exactly how much "real" xp you get from which floors based on your "real" level.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2137694813

So basically, if you're level 60 for realsies, and you do floors 1-10, you'll come out getting 324,000 xp for real. On the other hand if you do floor 51-60, you'll get 583,200 xp. Almost twice as much. But the real selling point of the floors 51-60 are the extremely quick queue times so you can chain run them very fast for xp.

That doc is worthwhile to have handy though because if there's a class you don't really like (or aren't particularly good at) but want to level it just to have it leveled, you may opt to do lowbie floors where you'll have only the most basic of abilities to worry about.
    Floors 51-60 aren't just more xp, but they also let folks use their entire toolkit (up to level 60, at least) instead of being stuck with pushing 2-3 buttons tops. So they are at least a bit more fun just for that, even though I'm like many and got tired of seeing that tileset after a while.

Also, with people often coming in there at 60+ aetherpool weapon/armor, 51-60 clears are just as fast as 1-10.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Floors 51-60 aren't just more xp, but they also let folks use their entire toolkit (up to level 60, at least) instead of being stuck with pushing 2-3 buttons tops. So they are at least a bit more fun just for that, even though I'm like many and got tired of seeing that tileset after a while.

Also, with people often coming in there at 60+ aetherpool weapon/armor, 51-60 clears are just as fast as 1-10.
    Oh no doubt. I merely mentioned the lowbie range precisely for people who DON'T want the entire toolkit (like myself when it comes to BLM) because they either don't really enjoy the gameplay but want to have the job leveled, or even due to disability preventing them from executing optimal gameplay with a class they enjoy.

2.0 BLM I could handle... 3.0 and even in 4.0, BLM still requires too many finger gymnastics and a flow chart for its rotation. There's just too many buttons still, and too many "if this then this, but if this then that, but watch this too!" things for me to keep track off.

I honestly would be more comfortable with BLM if Fire III & Blizzard III just replaced Fire and Blizzard (using their shorter cast times), Freeze replacing Blizzard II, and Flare ditching the whole "use all your current mp" mechanic and replacing Fire II. I might be able to spare some attention to managing Enochian properly while also reacting to mechanics much better if I wasn't looking at my action bars and mp bar so much to make sure I was hitting the right buttons at the right time.

Dropping down to lowbie levels for PotD as BLM makes all that pain go away :P
    Last edited by Kyriani; 2017-08-04 at 07:15 PM.

BLM in PotD sucks ass until you get super high aetherpool. For 51-100, I can basically pop a str pom and 2 shot most mobs, 3 shot at worst, but the lack of spell speed makes it...yuck. Takes some major getting used to, but it's potent once you do...which applies not only to PotD, but in general.

Course, that's easy for me to say, having played the job for 2.5 years as my main job. Doesn't mean I hated it during 3.0 (fuck Neverreap). BLM is worlds better now than it was 2 years ago, but I won't say there's no room for improvement.

BLM in POTD depends what you're grouped with. Lots of burst on your team with things like RDM/BRD/MCH that can cruise quickly and hit hard, you'll have to get ahead of them or switch targets quickly to keep from wasting casts. And if you get some tank that wants to pull everything first, you either have to play along or go your own route and let him do what he wants elsewhere.

Personally, I wish it played more like it does in PvP, where a lot of the fiddly bullshit is streamlined. But we'll have to wait until 5.0, I'm guessing, to see the battle system further condensed like it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    BLM in POTD depends what you're grouped with. Lots of burst on your team with things like RDM/BRD/MCH that can cruise quickly and hit hard, you'll have to get ahead of them or switch targets quickly to keep from wasting casts. And if you get some tank that wants to pull everything first, you either have to play along or go your own route and let him do what he wants elsewhere.

Personally, I wish it played more like it does in PvP, where a lot of the fiddly bullshit is streamlined. But we'll have to wait until 5.0, I'm guessing, to see the battle system further condensed like it is there.
    yea I think I might actually enjoy blm in pve if it played closer to its new pvp incarnation.

You unlock Palace of the dead after finishing the Story Quest: Into a Copper Hell (Copperbell Mines Story quest) and reaching a minimum level of 17.
    Once you have unlocked it via the Canopy in Gridarnia, you'll enter the dungeon at level 1, don't panic this does not reset your character's level but the dungeon uses an individual levelling system, after the instance is completed by finishing all 10 floors, you'll leave the dungeon and be rewarded with any spoils you find, and a fixed % of Experience for your character outside of the dungeon's individual levelling system, meaning that 1: You'll keep your Palace of the Dead level, 2: You'll also gain experience for completing Palace of the dead on the character you entered with.

The character that you chose to leave Palace of the Dead in is the one that you'll receive rewards with.