Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Yeah if I was attacking Trump over this I would just quietly walk away. The whole thing is made so crystal clear. The idea that Trump blithely called these families was suspect to begin with, and now it's all crystal clear. I'm wondering now what this family's reaction was to the "pre call" Kelly spoke about. What was their reaction to the information that Trump wanted to call to offer condolences?

This should give hard pause to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    Yeah if I was attacking Trump over this I would just quietly walk away. The whole thing is made so crystal clear. The idea that Trump blithely called these families was suspect to begin with, and now it's all crystal clear. I'm wondering now what this family's reaction was to the "pre call" Kelly spoke about. What was their reaction to the information that Trump wanted to call to offer condolences?

This should give hard pause to a lot of people.
    Except Trump fucked up and acted like a heartless shitmonger because he doesn't know how actual human beings work. Once Trump apologizes for what he did, this goes away. Until then, he's an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Except Trump fucked up and acted like a heartless shitmonger because he doesn't know how actual human beings work. Once Trump apologizes for what he did, this goes away. Until then, he's an asshole.
    Well you can continue to believe that, but I'm fully inclined to believe most people who watch the video will see through the smokescreen.

Well you can continue to believe that, but I'm fully inclined to believe most people who watch the video will see through the smokescreen.
    Smokescreen? roflmao let's not forget how this started Trump could not answer the question of why he hadn't talked about those fallen soldiers, then he took it upon himself to bash Obama and past presidents. After Trump got caught in that lie instead of letting it go he doubled down on it and created this shit storm to begin with because he could not help himself.

The sad part is all Trump had to say was we are aware of their deaths and I am giving the families some space until they retrieve their bodies to contact them then go back to show him and Mitch McConnell are bffs. Even the most simple thing Trump cannot help but lie and create messes, all you need is basic common sense this guy has none.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Smokescreen? roflmao let's not forget how this started Trump could not answer the question of why he hadn't talked about those fallen soldiers, then he took it upon himself to bash Obama and past presidents. After Trump got caught in that lie instead of letting it go he doubled down on it and created this shit storm to begin with because he could not help himself.
    I'm not speaking about any of that. I'm only speaking about the decision to listen in on a phone call made by Trump to the family of a dead service member and politicize it.

Ben Shapiro warned about turning everything Trump does up to 11, and this is a twist on that.

I'm not speaking about any of that. I'm only speaking about the decision to listen in on a phone call made by Trump to the family of a dead service member and politicize it.

Ben Shapiro warned about turning everything Trump does up to 11, and this is a twist on that.
    You mean like how Trump used Kelly's dead son as a way to bash Obama? Like that? or do you mean when he attacked a gold star family? your ire seems misplaced.

Truth be told, I'm starting to believe that there might be something to the "Thanks for helping re-elect Trump 2020" meme. As I've said before many times, people caught on long ago to the bias against Trump, at the same time realizing that Trump is a very flawed individual. Not just personally, but politically. But the more these kinds of distasteful reactions and attacks stack up, the more people might start to think, "Would I do any better with these kind of ruthless, no-holds-barred, nothing-is-sacred attacks?"

I think the effort by the left to bombard the American public with anti-Trump stories might actually bite them in the rear. I'm still torn, however, since it's still possible that Americans will be so worn out by the polarization that they'll acquiesce to even a milquetoast Democratic candidate. Indeed, that may be the left's best option, someone boring and politics-as-usual, like Biden. But first they need to deal with the Sanders problem.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like how Trump used Kelly's dead son as a way to bash Obama? Like that? or do you mean when he attacked a gold star family? your ire seems misplaced.
    I don't think Trump deflecting criticism in the way that he did about Kelly's son is comparable to what Congresswoman Frederica did, but that's just a personal opinion. And let's not go into the Khan story, because we both know we won't agree. We'll state our talking points about Trump's callousness in attacking a gold-star family, and about Khan using his gold-star status at the Democratic National Convention to attack Trump, and we'll both walk away unhappy.

I don't think Trump deflecting criticism in the way that he did about Kelly's son is comparable to what Congresswoman Frederica did, but that's just a personal opinion. And let's not go into the Khan story, because we both know we won't agree. We'll state our talking points about Trump's callousness in attacking a gold-star family, and about Khan using his gold-star status at the Democratic National Convention to politicize his son's death, and we'll both walk away unhappy.
    Let me ask you this how do you feel about Trump failing at the most basic aspect of the presidency? you talk about all these anti-Trump stories but all of these stories are because of Trump especially the stunts he pulls on twitter even Fox News struggles to give him positive coverage. I did not vote for Trump, I cannot stand the man but even I had a sliver of hope that he would act like a normal person and not reality show Trump once in office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well he might go from "stubborn asshole" to "asshole" since one apology wouldn't wipe out all the rest of his assholery.

Let me ask you this how do you feel about Trump failing at the most basic aspect of the presidency?

It dismays me to no end. He's a terrible politician, says the dumbest things, and in general has the political deftness of a kindergartner.

you talk about all these anti-Trump stories but all of these stories are because of Trump especially the stunts he pulls on twitter even Fox News struggles to give him positive coverage. I did not vote for Trump, I cannot stand the man but even I had a sliver of hope that he would act like a normal person and not reality show Trump once in office.
    I think Trump steps in poop, and then the left swarms all over his shoe like a pack of hyenas and then goes on TV and says "Trump loves poop." Yes, Trump is buffoon in so many respects, but the left's hatred for him is blinding them to the pyrrhic nature of their "victories".

It dismays me to no end. He's a terrible politician, says the dumbest things, and in general has the political deftness of a kindergartner.

I think Trump steps in poop, and then the left swarms all over his shoe like a pack of hyenas and then goes on TV and says "Trump likes to eat poop." Yes, Trump is buffoon in so many respects, but the left's hatred for him is blinding them to the pyrrhic nature of their "victories".
    You can think it's the left but I hate to break this to you but right wing publications are giving him negative coverage there is no way to cover up the dumb things he says or does. Of course there are people who take it too far but Trump is his own worst enemy, all you have to do is read his twitter feed and wonder if he is all there.

You can think it's the left but I hate to break this to you but right wing publications are giving him negative coverage there is no way to cover up the dumb things he says or does. Of course there are people who take it too far but Trump is his own worst enemy, all you have to do is read his twitter feed and wonder if he is all there.
    All I'm really saying is that going the extra mile to turn every Trump foible into a category 5 hurricane isn't helping the left. It's one thing to criticize Trump for bringing John Kelly's dead son into the conversation about Trump's own questionable claims about previous president's calls to service members, it's another thing altogether to have a Democratic congresswoman listen in on his actual call to the widow and then find the best, most easily taken-out-of-context quote and go on TV and slam him for it.

Yes, I think Frederica turned this into a category 5 hurricane by what she did, when Trump's comment was a tropical storm.
    Last edited by mage21; 2017-10-20 at 02:52 AM.

All I'm really saying is that going the extra mile to turn every Trump foible into a category 5 hurricane isn't helping the left. It's one thing to criticize Trump for bringing John Kelly's dead son into the conversation about Trump's own questionable claims about previous president's calls to service members, it's another thing altogether to have a Democratic congresswoman listen in on his actual call to the widow and then find the best, most easily taken-out-of-context quote and go on TV and slam him for it.

Yes, I think Frederica turned this into a category 5 hurricane by what she did, when Trump's comment was a tropical storm.
    I think Trump turned it into a category 5 when he threw Kelly's dead son under the bus to defend his attack on Obama but I guess we can somewhat agree that Trump doesn't need any help hanging himself. I also think that democrats just need to say no to Trump and just watch the GOP tear itself apart, they shouldn't try to work with republicans period.

Okay, now combine that with the qualifiers Kelly used: specifically, 'in his own way' and 'the best way he could'. That is the smokescreen. That's what tells us Trump fucked it up, and Kelly's trying to give him cover. You don't use those phrases for someone who performed a job well.

Okay, now combine that with the qualifiers Kelly used: specifically, 'in his own way' and 'the best way he could'. That is the smokescreen. That's what tells us Trump fucked it up, and Kelly's trying to give him cover. You don't use those phrases for someone who performed a job well.
    Sure, that's reasonable logic, but the narrative is that Trump is heartless, that he blithely made the call with cold-hearted statements. When the real story here, as we can see, is that Trump tried to convey condolences as best he could, with the coaching of John Kelly, and a Democratic congresswoman (who somehow listened in on it) took select quotes to the media to blast him for his heartlessness.

I think Trump steps in poop, and then the left swarms all over his shoe like a pack of hyenas and then goes on TV and says "Trump loves poop." Yes, Trump is buffoon in so many respects, but the left's hatred for him is blinding them to the pyrrhic nature of their "victories".
    While I agree some of the reactions to Trump's actions are overly dramatic, that's kind of usual in the US. Bush had some hurdles when publicly speaking and was portrayed as a total moron by some, or a bloodthirsty nazi warmonger because of Irak. Fox News covered Obama as if the Antichrist hid behind his every actions, to say nothing of the Birther nonsense or portraying him as an elitist douche because he dared to not have crappy mustard on his hot-dog. Trump's treatment is in continuity, and just gets exacerbated because as you said he's absurdly terrible at public relations.

It's not a left or right thing. It's not even just a President thing. The political atmosphere at the national US level is just incredibly toxic. I remember seeing a statistic that 85-90% of your political ads do nothing but attack the other candidate, rather than promoting the candidate who backs the ad. That's the kind of political culture that spawns these constant mini scandals, it's all fueled by vitriol and hatred.

Sure, that's reasonable logic, but the narrative is that Trump is heartless, that he blithely made the call with cold-hearted statements. When the real story here, as we can see, is that Trump tried to convey condolences as best he could, with the coaching of John Kelly, and a Democratic congresswoman (who somehow listened in on it) took select quotes to the media to blast him for his heartlessness.
    So if the words are heartless but the intent is sincere, how are we supposed to know that? Again, if Trump were to apologize for having fucked it up, that would show that he meant well. Until then, he gets no benefit of the doubt, because he's never shown genuine concern for another human being in his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    the narrative is that Trump is heartless, that he blithely made the call with cold-hearted statements. When the real story here, as we can see, is that Trump tried to convey condolences as best he could
    "Great. We're not gutless. We're incompetent."

And quite frankly, I'm not sure someone who Freudian slips "he knew what he signed up for" actually feels heartfelt sympathy. But I'll accept that's a matter of opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    "He knew what he signed up for"

Even as Kelly explained it you don't say that at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

So if the words are heartless but the intent is sincere, how are we supposed to know that? Again, if Trump were to apologize for having fucked it up, that would show that he meant well. Until then, he gets no benefit of the doubt, because he's never shown genuine concern for another human being in his life.
    There is goes, Trump doesnt even have sense enough, or whatever holds him back, to apologize after his words were reportedly misinterpreted. All he had to do, and then even if people want to throw mud on your name at least you have that. Hell, it usually makes the mudslingers look worse.

But no...he comes up with all kind if bullshit excuses. Now were at the point where even if he does come out to say he didnt mean it that way or whatever, time * kelly having to hold a press conference takes any credibility Trump regarding the situation and punts it off the top of Trump Tower.

The man is a robot.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Trump should avoid doing things he isn't good at, like conveying condolences, or politics.