Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Anyone feel like playing a gnome is disrespecting Warcraft?

Gnomes were added to Warcraft solely because of a hasty, not well thought out decision concerning Goblins and faction loyalty. They're used as comic relief but otherwise Blizzard acknowledges their fuckup and practically doesn't treat them as canon with their irrelevance from anything major up to cinematics. I mainly find Gnomes offensive because Warcraft as a franchise is founded on badassery and rule of cool, something Gnomes are devoid of. World of Warcraft is founded on the same themes, but also obviously with the MMO aspect of creating your own, unique and awesome character that progressively gets stronger.

It just seems to be undermining everything when you play as a Gnome compared to the likes of Orcs, Tauren, Night Elves, or even Humans.

Deleted
    I think they're awesome. If you are upset with immersion, you might want to rethink your avatar of a NE wearing tinker goggle's ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2017-12-06 at 09:45 AM.

WoW and badassery really can't come together when you have Darkmoon faire and Christmas holidays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    WoW and badassery really can't come together when you have Darkmoon faire and Christmas holidays.
    EXCUSE YOU! BUT ITS WINTER VEIL YOU INSENSITIVE PRICK!!! >:@

/s
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Gnomes have been around since WC2.

If anything is diluting WoW's badassery it's perpetuating memes like some of the tauren, night elf, and blood elf /silly jokes. Blood elves, for instance, were very badass in TFT, then we come into WoW and it's all "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" and Napoleon Dynamite dancing.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Gnomes have been around since WC2.

If anything is diluting WoW's badassery it's perpetuating memes like some of the tauren, night elf, and blood elf /silly jokes. Blood elves, for instance, were very badass in TFT, then we come into WoW and it's all "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?" and Napoleon Dynamite dancing.
    the thing about thoese things is they're jokes or misc novelties and Blizzard has been doing those since forever pretty much. There's nothing outwardly comical or distasteful about how every other race is except possibly Pandaren.

I just miss Chris Metzen and his vision of WC.

I actually think they enrich the setting. I find Worgen more silly than them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    the thing about thoese things is they're jokes or misc novelties and Blizzard has been doing those since forever pretty much. There's nothing outwardly comical or distasteful about how every other race is except possibly Pandaren.

I just miss Chris Metzen and his vision of WC.
    Let's look at some of them;
    - goblins; little green people, speaking a new jersey dialect, whose machinery always seems to blow up in their face
    - trolls; ugly, thin, tall, "ya man"
    - blood elves; feminine enough to be mistaken for an all female race
    - dwarves; being displayed as drunkards on most occasions
    - pandaren; same as dwarves
    - worgen; the british speaking humans, guess who turns into an animal in battle (when they show their true face)

I'm pretty sure that for each race you could find someone who finds it insulting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I hate gnomes.

However, I also enjoy hating them.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Funny how the first 2 replies already rekt the OP

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I love gnomes. All of my characters are gnomes, where applicable.

I like their silliness. Warcraft doesn't feel like an overly serious game to me.

I get sick of seeing so many humans and night elves.
    We're a band of vicious pirates,
    we depend on RNG.
    If I only get one buff,
    then bury me at sea

10+ Year Old Account
    Gnomes have been a part of Warcraft far longer than Night Elves or Tauren.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Gnomish_Fl..._(Warcraft_II)

Pint sized steampunk inventors with mechs, airships and submarines definitely fit Blizzard's 'rule of cool' philosophy.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkelle View Post
    No. I love gnomes. All of my characters are gnomes, where applicable.

I like their silliness. Warcraft doesn't feel like an overly serious game to me.

I get sick of seeing so many humans and night elves.
    Especially Night Elves with engineer goggles and some dull armor... and then they talk about immersion and stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    if blizzard didnt treat em as canon they wouldnt give mekatorgue this cool new mech and he even had cinematic time
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted
    You have a problem with gnomes but you don't have a problem with giant, beer-drinking, kung-fu pandas? Also night elves are for edgelords.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    No since the series has been overtly silly, humorous, and cartoony since Warcraft 1. I could understand your concern if we were talking about Age of Conan, Eve Online, or Elder Scrolls Online, but not this game. If anything I feel like I'm paying homage to one of the series' core tenets when I play a gnome.

No. It's not like Warcraft is the grittiest or most serious franchise in the industry. There are plenty of silly things in every zone. If gnomes hadn't been created, you'd make this topic about Goblins - who are much more slapstick comedy and overall silly than any single gnome. Sure, gnomes make wacky and zany machines, but Goblins have things like a Town-in-a-Box, Rocket Chickens, lawn flamingos, hot rods, and even a cola product. None of that screams "WoW is serious badassery" more than gnomes.

Disclaimer: You're welcome to dislike gnomes, since it's all personal preference. But their existence is in no way disrespectful to the idea of Warcraft when we have a zone that is an Indiana Jones reference, or auction house dance parties that any player can attend.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

OP is right at one thing - it's the people playing gnomes who are insulting.

9/10 times, it's an "exdee" kinda person who thinks they're being funny by playing a pink-haired gnome and wishing (telling everyone) everything was gnome. "gnome paladin and druid haha xD blizz pls xD"

Gnomes and goblins are stereotypical midget races who compensate their physical inability with technology. Sounds great to me.
    Too bad they were introduced back in vanilla when everything was shit, I bet nowadays, they would have a "combat form", a mech suit that they could use in a way that worgen (and void elves) use their forms.

Still better than Pandas.