3. Rogue
    4. Warlock
    5. Balance Druid
    6. Ret Pally
    7. Prot Pally
    8. Prot Warrior
    9. Holy Pally
    10. Holy Priest

Sometimes the Prot pally was ahead of me in damage too, everyone had the same buffs, it wasn't like the DK/Rogue potted up or anything either. Also on bosses I ran out of mana but I couldn't keep up in damage unless I was using Consecrate/Exorcism/Holy Wrath. I was using CS/DS/SoM like all paladins do as well.

What am I doing wrong, I've seen Ret paladins at #1-3 on damage meters in Naxx. Whats your rotation, what are your consumables, help my DPS out because my DPS was horrible and raiding is extremely boring being last everytime.

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...elgun&n=Revrun
    Should I spec swift retribution & crusade, will those help a lot? Is it my spec, my enchants? Thank you. :-X

EDIT: I re-specced and re-gemmed with AP+hit gems. So my DPS should be better now, still working on getting more +hit, will be putting strength gems in as I get more hit gear, thanks for the help so far guys...

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Help me do better DPS! (Ret Pally)

you have no hit rating at all. all retri's should have at least 9% hit rating, which is about 293 in normal numbers.

get that and you will do more hits and more dmg

your hit rating is very poor and yes you should spec swift retribution & crusade, check out http://retlol.mrgummage.com/index.php, helped me out alot when i was retribution

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Right, lets have a look.

Your gear looks decent however your gear has no where NEAR enough hit rating in it, I can not remember the cap however I know you need a lot lot more than 38.

Spec:

Is anyone else providing Greater blessing of might as from the looks of it you are not reciving the best you can from that group set up, also Pursuit of justice is not doing anything great for your dps nor is divine purpose and toughness isnt needed for raids.

I would advise loosing all those points and ensure you are putting points in Crusade and swift retribution as they are needed and WILL improve your dps.

I have not looked into consumables that much so I can not help you much there but if you are having mana problems over the longer fights lay on hands is a great way for that little of of mana and Judgement combo for around 1.5K mana back and have a few Runic Mana pots ready.

Try that out and try improve your weapon asap and enchant it (I found the Titansteel BOE one makes a fantastic weapon and Ensure to enchant it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Worgens for Alliance, Goblins for Horde.

I'll run naked in the streets of Paris and post the video on the front page if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilscrappy
    So I ran my first 10man Naxx last night and the group was as follows in DPS

1. Hunter
    2. Death Knight
    3. Rogue
    4. Warlock
    5. Balance Druid
    6. Ret Pally
    7. Prot Pally
    8. Prot Warrior
    9. Holy Pally
    10. Holy Priest

Sometimes the Prot pally was ahead of me in damage too, everyone had the same buffs, it wasn't like the DK/Rogue potted up or anything either. Also on bosses I ran out of mana but I couldn't keep up in damage unless I was using Consecrate/Exorcism/Holy Wrath. I was using CS/DS/SoM like all paladins do as well.

What am I doing wrong, I've seen Ret paladins at #1-3 on damage meters in Naxx. Whats your rotation, what are your consumables, help my DPS out because my DPS was horrible and raiding is extremely boring being last everytime.

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...elgun&n=Revrun
    Should I spec swift retribution & crusade, will those help a lot? Is it my spec, my enchants? Thank you. :-X
    Your hit rating makes my eyes bleed. Honestly, just getting that up to about 7% will give you a MAJOR increase in DPS. You don't really need 9%, but at least 7% is a must. After that, you can take things without hit that have more Str/Crit. Your ArP is MUCH too high, it is the worst stat for a ret pally to have, only marginally better than haste which still sucks. Your gems should be 16 STR. NEVER GEM FOR AP!!!

AS for your spec, you need sanctified retribution and crusade. 4 Points for a 9% increase in DPS. Swift retribution is good, but the doomkin provides the same buff so if he is going to be in all your runs you can leave it alone.

Get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41257 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41386 crafted. That and a few badge pieces and you should be good to go.

Hmm your spec is, without wanting to insult you, crap.

The points you put into Toughness, Improved Hammer of Justice, Stoicism, Pursiut of Justice and Divine Purpose are Wasted talent points if you want to be Pve Dps.

Im using this spec: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin=052320510033310322135231351000000000000000000000000001450200000000000000000000&gl yph=120405010506

at the moment and must say im pretty much pleased with my damage i am usually around 2-4# on damage meters and the only thing preventing me from reaching 1# is our insainly geard guild Rogue.

To your Gear and Enchants, i find 27% crit rating a bit much 25% are usually enough to keep your Vengance Stacked, and your Rightous Vengance on the Target. You should Consider getting a bit more Hit Rating because !% increased hit rating is not really good it should be atleast 7% but as always with hit cap maxing it out to the 9% is always good.

And now to your rotation Issue i can`t really say anthing to your rotation because you ddidn`t post what rotation you use.

Attack power gems make baby jesus cry.

Lets go over the basics.

Hit cap for a 2h is 295.

Get as close to that as possible.

That is your priority.

Then Str, crit, and then arguabbly expertise, haste, and armor pen.

There should be little to no reason to take AP over str.

I would take a step back and look at your gear from afar.

Find pieces with hit and hitcap yourself.

Even if you have an epic piece, and need to drop down to a blue, if you are missing your epic gear is no good.

Look up specs, and go on elitest jerks to learn something about the basics of retribution.

Now that i posted something useful, I am able to say, you fail.

Hopefully this and other posts in this thread will make it less fail.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    Attack power gems make baby jesus cry.
    Indeed. Always gem for strength, never for ap. Period.

I can see you already made some changes to your stuff / template, good ! but don't forget to gem for strength instead of AP (+15% strength via talents, +10% via BoK).
    Though you'll still have mana problems using consecration all the time. You should use it only when your mana pool allows it (understand >30%), then cast Divine Plea when it's up, and go consecrate again...
    Holy wrath against bosses is quite expensive compared to the damage it deals IMO.
    Your hit rating problems should be a part of your mana problems too, cause it can result in missed judgements.
    Finally, you don't have to cap 9% hit rating in raids. 5% as ally, 6% as horde seems to do great job with no miss or so.

Basics to Retri lesson #1:
    ALWAYS cap hit raiting, first thing u do is cap hit raiding! u have a 2h thus u hit slow and you need EVERY hit to actually hit, and not miss.
    so go go cap it!

Basics to Retri lesson #2:
    You have lots of attack power gems there, ALWAYS put in strength, u have a talent that gives u 15% more str, and it scales with blessing of kingz as well!
    so go go change ur gems to str plz before i kill myself!

I have 3k ap unbuffed, around 30% crit chance, and yeah i'm usually one of the top 3, u gotta love the retri DPS nowadays, with all the "disappearing" judgements

Sometimes the Prot pally was ahead of me in damage too
    And yeah, it's VERY hard to pass a good tankadin, especially when there's undead involved... it's very very hard if he's aoe tanking.

For starters I think the arrogant comments were unnecessary and stopped being funny at the first one.
    Second, they are all right if it comes to stats but let me give you some more tips.

Hitcap is indeed something you should achieve but if you have a hitrating of 270, that's good enough for Naxxramas. You'll get more hit if you do heroics/Naxxramas.
    Strength is most important stat, don't waste your STR gems with HIT gems if your hitrating is aroudn 270.

I discovered recently that STR is much better than just AP. I thought:
    Well, As a Retri 1 STR gives me 2 AP, so if I could choose between a gem that gives me 16 STR or one that gives me 32 AP I really don't see the difference, except the AP one is cheap.

Well, imagine that I have 3000AP, when I changed my +32AP gem with a +16 STR Gem my AP didn't stay 3000 AP but it changed to 3010(it's just an example, I dont know the right numbers)

For some people things are obvious but never forget that there's nothing wrong with learning new stuff. THings is that some people are too stubborn to admit that they were wrong.
    I've learned a lot of new things in the past few weeks and I'm really glad that people help me to be good.

Another thing you should remember is that we aren't meant to top DMG-meters, it's ofcourse necessary that you are above tanks but just accept the fact that you won't be on par with Hunters, Rogues and Mages. Just gear up, socket your gear right and your class will be a valuable addition to the raid;
    But I just hope you got a guild with friendly people who wont go mental if you have a gem wrong; as long as you down the bosses it's all good.

Cheers
    Torquemada
    Blood Elf Paladin
    Dramaspear EU

You shouldn't and probably won't beat pure DPS classes on the meters. If you want to be top or beat out Hunters (BM), Rogue or Warlock you're going to miss the boat every time. Ret Paladins are great dps and bring A LOT of group synergy but stop trying to worry about being #1 on meters won't happen with pure dps class that know what they're doing.

Lolret
    Me jolly jolly Grog

Armory won't let me look at your stuff, but for my guild I top dps in naxx so far, with a good boomkin just short of me, and would probably be ahead if I didn't have WF. (this is over a mage, fury warrior, and 3 different rogues that we've had with us a different points. all on about the same gear level)

so here's some things I'm seeing that could make a difference.

1) No shaman. Almost any totem they put down you can benefit from, and ret paladins scale ridiculously well with buffs like that, where as the other classes there all seem to be fairly strong at standing alone, except maybe the DK.

2) People keep yelling about the hit cap...but the need to l2read. If you're raiding with a moonkin or a shadow priest, be thankful for the 3% hit they bring which means you only need 6% for raiding.

What's that mean? It means you can get some swappable pieces so that for 5 mans and such you can still hit your 9% to do good dps, but for raiding you can get more dps, less hit pieces and do even more dps because of their buffs.

3) You have 3 paladins so there's no reason for you not to have imp might and wis, and 5/5 kings. If you're not getting it slap your guildies around and tell them to get their spec stuff straightened out.

4) Rotation. I don't know what yours is, but mine is pretty much FCFS with priorities (for single target boss, thats all that matters, loltrash) of judgment, CS, DS, Conc.

If you have good tanks so you can open up early, seeing as you have no BL/Heroism in your raid, I'd hit AW and trinkets after that first rotation if he's got the threat to hold it, pop Judgment and CS then Divine Plea in the break before DS and Conc, then just follow the FCFS with priorities rule.

I hit AW early so that later in the fight I'll be able to hit it again for a second boost. (which works really well for me because we usually pop BL late in our runs, so it'll be up again and ready for use with that for a final burn)

that's what works for me, different people do different things. all i can say is test it out and see if it helps.

5) People keep getting emo about AP gems, but to be honest, if your guild bank has +32 AP gems sitting in it, and like +16 str gems are going for some price you're not willing to pay or your guild JC doesn't have that cut yet, go ahead take the AP gems and wait. the difference in AP is not that huge that it's going to make the difference in last and first on the charts. Yes, str is better, and get them when you can, but don't go wasting 16 str gems in like blues that you're going to replace soon or spending some obscene amount of money for something that will be more readily accessible soon.
    (Like I said, armory's being gay so I can't see your armor, just making a guess about you still having some blues here.)

outside of that I don't know what to tell you just looking off this...

Torsdan: In fact, according to Blizzard, a Ret should be able to reach 90-95% of a "pure" dps class in WotLK, same level of gear same buffs same skill.

Also, what people replied to the OP is right. Pick up the 0/12/59 spec someone has posted, get AT LEAST 200 hit (cap is 295), always gem for Strength, and there you go. I was second in Naxx 10 yesterday, the first being another Ret (yeah) who has a far better gear than me (203dps 2H, 3 T7, etc). So yeah, it's possible. We had no rogue or hunter, though, but the raid setup didn't feel gimped at all with 2 Ret pallies (we cleared Naxx again that night, we also did Sartharion and the PvP raid).

Quote Originally Posted by Duali
    2) People keep yelling about the hit cap...but the need to l2read. If you're raiding with a moonkin or a shadow priest, be thankful for the 3% hit they bring which means you only need 6% for raiding.
    Shadow Priests and Moonkins give SPELL HIT, not melee hit.

Quote Originally Posted by drohr
    Shadow Priests and Moonkins give SPELL HIT, not melee hit.

You're right! I think he was mistaking with Feral Druids...(they bring +hit with them do they?)

15+ Year Old Account

afaik druids only give crit

Quote Originally Posted by Durahil
    To your Gear and Enchants, i find 27% crit rating a bit much 25% are usually enough to keep your Vengance Stacked, and your Rightous Vengance on the Target. You should Consider getting a bit more Hit Rating because !% increased hit rating is not really good it should be atleast 7% but as always with hit cap maxing it out to the 9% is always good.

And now to your rotation Issue i can`t really say anthing to your rotation because you ddidn`t post what rotation you use.

Here's a rotation I usually like.

Seal of Blood, if you use anything else that's why your DPS suffers. Seal of Command for soloing, Blood or Martyr when you have a healer or you are in groups, your spiritual attunement is another reason you use Blood, so you can spam your cooldowns faster.

Judge Wisdom. Exorcism then Holy Wrath, if Undead, Divine Storm if not(If multiple targets, Crusader Strike for single), keep consecrate up, glyph it so it's more mana efficient(long as you aren't in a moving fight anyways), prioritize Judgement of Blood over Crusader Strike, it hits harder overall.

For Raiding, Righteous Vengeance is a must, and it will up your DPS, however for soloing and PVP, I prefer 0/19/52

Talents that are a must:

Benediction(When raiding, lets you spam your damage spells a lot easier, since all of them are instant, when soloing get deflection)
    Improved Judgement
    Crusade
    Vengeance
    Pursuit of Justice(PVP)
    Sanctified Seals
    'Conviction
    Two Handed Weapon Specialization
    The Art of War
    Judgements of the Wise(even if you have other classes with Replenishment, 15% base mana is a must have for no downtime)
    Fanaticism
    Sanctified Wrath
    Crusader Strike
    Sheath of Light
    Righteous Vengeance(For Raiding)
    Swift Retribution(For Raiding IF you don't have a boomkin, let them do the 3% haste otherwise, they get an additional benefit to their damage with spirit)
    Divine Storm
    Divine Strength

For raiding, this is the build I like, it gives you the flexibility of having Blessing of Kings if you have a Warrior in the raid to provide Battle Shout, and it has all the critical DPS talents. Seal of Command is a filler point because you shouldn't be using it to DPS in groups!

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=021214050402