Thread: Post Your UI

For a leveling UI you don't really need to do anything with raid frames, boss frames, or boss mods. Buff/debuff tracking is not really that important either.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

oh really?
    but boss mods help u run dungeons to level
    and i hate the traditional party frames and always use grid or something like it
    and for some reason i have to have boss frames in a certain spot for dungeons
    so... does that mean i won't have to change my UI much at higher levels? lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurokawa View Post
    Some minor niggles:
    - The armor and mail indicators in the bottom bar look a bit crammed in
    - Why does every block of icons have different spacings?
    - Not sure about the four different bar textures, though I see how that could be useful for fast differentiation

But looks quite neat overall. Good work!
    What do you use for the compass at the bottom? Don't think I've seen something like that for WoW before.

I really like the separation of health bars and detailed unit information. Thought about doing something like that before, but was always concerned about the additional "eye work" such a layout would require.
    Would be interesting to hear how that works out for you in practice.

And while I'm at it, here are my two most developed current UIs.

anUI
    My "main" UI for mage and shaman. Not too many changes since I posted this a year or so ago, just updated for WoD.
    Ready for just about every PvE (and simple PvP) activity there is.
    Sorry for the SoO raid shot. Only re-subbed to WoW a few days ago and mainly to level alts (and build yet more UIs for them ), so I didn't get into the WoD raid game yet.

Idle / Semi Idle / Raid

Few short clips of the "core" UI in motion, to give you an idea.
    Fire mage
    http://gfycat.com/PhonyCorruptCrane
    Arcane mage
    http://gfycat.com/MarriedBaggyAmericansaddlebred
    Enhacement shaman
    http://gfycat.com/ThickAggressiveGeese

muUI
    Monochrome (mostly) UI for a shadow priest.
    Only for leveling so far, though it'd probably be an interesting challenge to develope this into a functional raid UI later on...

Semi Idle / inFight

In motion
    http://gfycat.com/SpiritedDistinctElkhound

All centered indicators (except the one for fire mage's ignite DPS) made with STUF's custom texts and self-made pixel fonts.
    Mini map, quest tracker, chat on toggles. anUI automatically switches from main chat window to a more central, reduced one in fights.
    Really like your main UI, Do you mind sharing a addon list or are you planning on releasing it anytime soon? :-)

Deleted
    Would you mind sharing the font u have made with us ?

Quote Originally Posted by kittyinacage78 View Post
    what is the difference between a leveling UI and a high level UI?
    just asking because i really don't have any high level toons yet, so all mine are for leveling at this point
    i don't understand why both wouldn't need the exact same things?
    except the exp bar turns to rep... idk
    I would say it is information.
    There is information that is useful in one, but not the other.
    An experience bar is an obvious candidate in my eyes as you point out, perhaps being replaced by a reputation bar at level cap since in my view during levelling the reputation isn't as important.
    Raid frames I agree with Shahad, but not entirely on boss timers since there can be useful mods for dungeon encounters.
    Unless you do instanced PvP during levelling, in which case some raid frames may be required.
    Then again there are boss mods for PvP, so shouldn't be ruled out entirely.

Better tracking of cooldowns, which will increase in quantity most likely as you level.

It depends really on how inclusive the levelling UI is, and how much information it actually presents.
    Until you find a need to track something, you may not know it is missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Well playing with WeakAuras didn't last that long. I'll probably use it soon but making everything from WA was just too much work, so I did a new unoriginal thing tonight:

I might invert the cast bar so it fills up pink instead of dark grey. Need to do some stuff like holy power.

Here's my WA experiment (UFs, cast bars, spell icons etc are all WAs). Fun, but building a UI from it is just not my thing right now.

and not a pixel font in sight. What's happening to me? (edit: omg I can't believe I let that typo escape D: )
    Last edited by Everlu; 2015-09-15 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everlu View Post
    Well playing with WeakAuras didn't last that long. I'll probably use it soon but making everything from WA was just too much work, so I did a new unoriginal thing tonight:

I might invert the cast bar so it fills up pink instead of dark grey. Need to do some stuff like holy power.

Here's my WA experiment (UFs, cast bars, spell icons etc are all WAs). Fun, but building a UI from it is just not my thing right now.

and not a pixel font in site. What's happening to me?
    Big plus for no Pixel font. I really dig the first one.
    oh, honey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OldmanG View Post
    [...] The working compass is from this pac http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17421-r4.html even thought its from 2010 it still works great.
    Thanks for the link! Looking forward to seeing your finished UI!
    (Ok, I know UIs are never really finished, but you know what I mean... )

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Would you be opposed to sharing? I've always wanted to try playing with a UI similar to yours but all the setup to make it happen only to potentially find I don't quite find it my cup of tea have kept me from actually giving it a go.
    Not opposed to sharing per se, but TBH the amount of time and work it would require to properly package and document the whole UI is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. There are just too many parts, too many SavedVariables stuffed with profiles for all of my UIs to untangle, too many little intricacies to know about, too many addons I modified (so you can't just update them without erasing the changes) and so on.

I could, however, gather and send you the configs for a few core parts (stuf, Raven, Grid) so you can test how the layout works for you, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethleffson View Post
    Any chance to only get the lua or addon or something for the raidframes? <3
    I use Grid / Grid2 (configured but untested) for the raidframes. I'll upload the configs for both a bit later and send you the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayasee View Post
    I really like these little icons you use for example for your totems. Any chance you could upload them? :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurling View Post
    Would you mind sharing the font u have made with us ?
    I'd like to keep the actual fonts private for the time being, but I recently converted a set of the icons into WoW compatible textures (32x32 pixels, the actual icons are about 15x18). Would those be useful to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mixe View Post
    Really like your main UI, Do you mind sharing a addon list or are you planning on releasing it anytime soon? :-)
    Nope, don't mind at all. No release of the full UI in the forseeable future though, as explained above.

(Sorry if some of the explanations seem unnecessary, but I don't know how well kown each and every one of these addons really is.)
    • stuf -> Unit frames (player, target, tot, group, bosses), indicators for cooldowns / buffs / debuffs essential to the rotation
    • Raven -> All other de-/buffs and cooldowns
    • Grid / Grid2 -> Raidframes
    • Mik Scrolling Battle Text -> Self-explanatory
    • kui Nameplates -> Self-explanatory
    • Kong UI Hider -> Fades UI elements in and out depending on chosen conditions (including macros).
    • Gnosis -> Castbars, mirrorbars, global cooldown, swingtimer
    • BigWigs -> Bossmod
    • Simple Power Bar -> Displays alternative power bars for raid bosses, vehicles, etc. ("Garrosh's Energy" in the raid screenshot I posted)
    • Chatter -> Options and features for the chat
    • Masque -> Skins buttons and icons from other addons
    • OPie -> Displays a configurable ring menu at the cursor's position on keypress. Very useful for buffs, mounts, portals, professions and other stuff you don't want to sacrifice your key bindings for.
    • OPie Masque -> Enables Masque to skin the OPie menus
    • QuseMap -> Minimap
    • Sorha Quest Log -> Quest tracker
    • TipTac -> Tooltips
    • Skada -> Damage meter
    • BindPad -> Manages key bindings for Spells, Items, Macros. For characters whose key bindings I want to keep more flexible I use a hidden Ion action bar instead.
    • Ion / Dominos -> Action bar addons, only used for not bindable (because not foreseeable) actions like vehicle controls, etc. Ion is very powerful but a bit unreliable in terms of updates, Dominos is better in that regard but quite restricted. Sometimes I use one, sometimes the other, sometimes both at the same time. Bit of an unresolved part of the UI, really.
    • Clique -> Enables casting of targeted abilities by hovering the curser over the target's unit frame or model in the world.
    • Aurora -> Changes the appearance of most standard UI frames to something more "modern".
    • Fontifier -> Changes the default UI fonts and font sizes to whatever you want. Shared Media compatible. Not updated in a long time, throws a few Lua errors, but still works flawlessly otherwise.
    • Shared Media & My Media -> Registers fonts, border textures, bar textures you want other addons to use.
    • MoveAnything & FluidFrames -> Can change visibility, placement, scale of standard UI frames and make many of them draggable.

Other, less essential, but recommended addons include GraphPaper, SLDataText, NibChatTabs, ChatReverse, Baudbag, ColorPickerPlus, Casualty, Classic Quest Log, Storyline, CloseUp, stAddonManager, Mapster, hideXP and Snapshot.

Hope I didn't forget something...

I might invert the cast bar so it fills up pink instead of dark grey. Need to do some stuff like holy power. [...]
    Truely minimalistc, I like it!
    Would agree the cast bar filling pink seems more logical. The more color, the closer to finish, the more attention is wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

And two more (leveling) UIs I'm currently growing alongside their respective characters.

naiUI
    Hunter UI, inspired by anUI's layout, but a lot more compact. Color coded bars for essential cooldowns.

Semi-Idle / inFight

kinUI
    Experimental, purely text-based, for rogues.
    Whish WoW's text rendering engine wouldn't turn outlines of non pixel fonts into ugly mud quite so often (especially for small font sizes) and Raven had more options for its text elements...

Semi-Idle / inFight
    Last edited by mmoca13ec27692; 2015-09-15 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyinacage78 View Post
    what is the difference between a leveling UI and a high level UI?
    just asking because i really don't have any high level toons yet, so all mine are for leveling at this point
    i don't understand why both wouldn't need the exact same things?
    except the exp bar turns to rep... idk
    I think the difference between an endgame UI and a levelling UI is that there is some genuinely challenging content at endgame for which an extremely efficient UI can help a lot, but when you're levelling the difficulty is pretty trivial (unless you deliberately make it hard for yourself, Iron Man Challenge, etc) so you don't need nearly as much in the way of information from your UI. Put another way, for an endgame UI functionality comes before style, for a levelling UI style can come before functionality in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    Big plus for no Pixel font. I really dig the first one.
    Hah, I just feel sad that my eyes are so crappy now! There's a gorgeous px font I want to use called Gros. Stupid getting old.

This is a quick and dirty Spirit Kings kill I recorded to demo the WA one. It at least looks better than the screenshot D: It just didn't feel like me though.

kinUI
    Experimental, purely text-based, for rogues.
    Whish WoW's text rendering engine wouldn't turn outlines of non pixel fonts into ugly mud quite so often (especially for small font sizes) and Raven had more options for its text elements...

Semi-Idle / inFight
    Looooooove this. I did a mockup for a text UI a while back but never tried it in game. I would love to see a video of this in action if you ever have a chance!
    Last edited by Everlu; 2015-09-15 at 10:55 PM.

Not opposed to sharing per se, but TBH the amount of time and work it would require to properly package and document the whole UI is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. There are just too many parts, too many SavedVariables stuffed with profiles for all of my UIs to untangle, too many little intricacies to know about, too many addons I modified (so you can't just update them without erasing the changes) and so on.

I could, however, gather and send you the configs for a few core parts (stuf, Raven, Grid) so you can test how the layout works for you, if you're interested.
    Configs for core parts is all I want, really. I wouldn't mind your customized addons either, I can work with modded addons.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

I'd like to keep the actual fonts private for the time being, but I recently converted a set of the icons into WoW compatible textures (32x32 pixels, the actual icons are about 15x18). Would those be useful to you?
    Yes, of course

I am trying something new hopefully Kurokawa you can help answer some questions since you are making something like it.

I was toying around with the idea of a text UI for myself but one question that keeps coming up, how do you right click on yourself or your target?

I am also thinking of bringing back HUD styles.

Deleted
    @Shahad, Ayasee

Ok, I'll see to it that I get that stuff packaged and uploaded then. I'll send you a PM with the respective links when they're up.

Looooooove this. I did a mockup for a text UI a while back but never tried it in game. I would love to see a video of this in action if you ever have a chance!
    Happy to hear you like it!
    I wanted to record a short clip of the UI as I did with the previous ones actually, but finding appropriate targets for a demonstration turned out to be surprisingly difficult for a character in the lvl 20-30 range. Most normal mobs die in just a few hits and lvl 60 dummies you don't hit at all.

But I'll see what I can do...

Quote Originally Posted by Tohr View Post
    I am trying something new hopefully Kurokawa you can help answer some questions since you are making something like it.

I was toying around with the idea of a text UI for myself but one question that keeps coming up, how do you right click on yourself or your target?

I am also thinking of bringing back HUD styles.
    Depends on your UF addon obviously, but at least with stuf it's super simple:

For every unit Stuf creates a base frame that actually intercepts mouse clicks, while all other elements (bars, texts, icons) are click-through and can be placed wherever you want.
    So what you do is to take an easily identifiable, always visible text element (health / power work well, names might be problematic because they're so variable in length), place it right on top of the base frame and make the base frame invisible by setting the alpha for "background color" and optionaly "background mouseover color" to 0.
    Then you can always just right click on that text element to get your familiar menus.

E.g. here's is how the player base frame looks like in my UI:

(lower black rectangle, upper one is the tooltip)
    Last edited by mmoca13ec27692; 2015-09-16 at 05:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts on these unit frames?

Last edited by elrot; 2015-09-16 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloun View Post
    Thoughts on this unit frame?

<image snipped>
    A softer edged circle and it would be nice!
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloun View Post
    Thoughts on these unit frames?

I agree, with a smoother looking circle that would be really nice looking! I like it.

Sans serif font would also be a huge improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you people even make these? I mean, yeah, this is actually a real question. People are creating these awesome interfaces, I'd love to know where I should start if I wanted to make one of my own

10+ Year Old Account
    Reworked my Ui a bit, still WIP ofc

Idle:

Unlocked:

Raid Shoot:

To do list:

- Skin the raid and boss frames
    - Skin the action buttons
    - get MSBT or whatever
    - more WAs (for blood also)
    Last edited by Denizly; 2015-09-17 at 05:25 PM.