Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Warlocks need active defence!

i am the only one missing some kind of active defence(and yes i know about voidwalker shield and dp im just thinking something that isnt limited to one pet or having to run around casting circles) every otherclass without exception have it! we have a shit shield that can be dispelled and leaves us with a useless pet or a portal which kicks ass i know but having one great escape ability which dosent help while stunned and have a huge cooldown just isnt that great.
    i can understand blizzards concern if they were to give us some active defence (since we have the best passive defence) but passive defence just isnt that great. even tho we have soul link, paladins who´s passive defence is almost as good (plate + shield most of the time) have an ability that makes the immortal and free movement and removal of stun when they feel like it wth?
    warlocks just need some way to get melees of us for a while. i might be the only one but i desperately wants a panic butten:S almost all other classes, except shamans but they can heal and most of the time the use a shield and they wear mail, have one!
    paladins: divine shield + more
    hunters: deterence
    rogues: shitloads dont even wanne start
    warriors: shield wall spell reflect
    priests: pain suppresion dispersion
    dks: also have shit loads
    druids: great escape mekanics and barkskin
    mages: iceblock blink
    so cant they just give us one? and any ideers?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Warlocks need active defence!

As per the Shaman Q&A, Ghostcrawler believes that melee has its way with casters (specifically Shamans, Boomkins, and Warlocks) with too much frequency.

Personally, I'm taking the "wait and see" approach, as per usual, to see what they have for 3.2. I think it will be pretty good.

R.I.P. YARG

im using the same approach. i just so tired of 3 v 3 and 5 v 5 lately (vs melees). the arena starts ---> warrior charges hamstring ---> ret or dk arrives --> i port away --- death grib or new charge followed by hamstring ---> healer runs oom ---> loose

15+ Year Old Account

You should try the Glickz theory of 5v5.

1) They're going to attack you
    2) They're going to keep attacking you
    3) You're a tank.

He had tanking cloak, rings, necks, enchants, and stacked stamina everything. I think he was uncrittable by less than 35% crit rating, and had ~9% dodge. His job on a 5v5 was CC, Curses, and just generally annoying the fuck out of the opposing team.

R.I.P. YARG

hardcore O.O

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    You should try the Glickz theory of 5v5.

1) They're going to attack you
    2) They're going to keep attacking you
    3) You're a tank.

He had tanking cloak, rings, necks, enchants, and stacked stamina everything. I think he was uncrittable by less than 35% crit rating, and had ~9% dodge. His job on a 5v5 was CC, Curses, and just generally annoying the fuck out of the opposing team.
    Lol. Freaking awesome.

They didn't have an Orc Warlock background.

This is actully the problem why warlock have so low pop in arena, since when we are targeted we can't do much expect "try" to go them off (reminder: most time we ARE the first target.).
    With some actrive def we might be able to really cast something.

Quote Originally Posted by Exorte
    This is actully the problem why warlock have so low pop in arena, since when we are targeted we can't do much expect "try" to go them off (reminder: most time we ARE the first target.).
    With some actrive def we might be able to really cast something.
    i understand where you are coming from, but giving a class an active defense that can cast fear or seduce or deathcoil or eat a HS or port away or sac a VW or cast while kiting some poor noob in a circle or...wait maybe i don't understand where you are coming from..
    locks have the tools to be good, you just have to pick a pet that you work the best with and find some classes to arena with that you can play well with

Ya warlocks and shamans are pretty much the only classes that don't have active defenses. My fear though is that if every class gets its active defense, Blizzard will treat that as an excuse to let burst continue to be out of hand.

If you watched MLG you'd have seen how it goes:

1. Game starts, DPS pick a target and tunnel vision it for 6 seconds
    2. After 6 seconds of being tunnel visioned, mage has to iceblock, pally has to bubble, rogue has to clos-vanish, etc
    3. 10 seconds later DPS go back to tunnel visioning that target
    4. 6 seconds later tunnel vision target dies

GG 22 second arena matches

So warlocks are at a big disadvantage for not having active defenses, but if even locks had one, that doesn't fix burst. That's true for every class.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrit
    almost all other classes, except shamans but they can heal and most of the time the use a shield and they wear mail, have one!

druids: great escape mekanics and barkskin

so cant they just give us one? and any ideers?
    Actually druid's one doesn't count , I mean we have soul link permanently as long as summoned demon is active.
    but i do agree we could use some defense , unless they want to fix the arena representation problem with more burst :P no problem with that:P

15+ Year Old Account

Warlocks will definetly get a pony in PvP in 3.2. Question is if they will overdo it and need to nerf within 2 weeks or if they will hmm underdo(?) is like they did with Demonic Circle not being usable while stunned.

Feel scary to feel that ones class survivability in PvP is left to pure chanse from developers. Since Wrath release they pretty much showed they didn't have any clue about how much the typical PvP warlock struggled.

• DK+Palas were(are to some extent) op, best counters are warlocks.
    • Warlocks get picked as the 3rd class in 3v3 torunament teams
    • Warlocks get carried in those setups but do well due to the team
    • Conclusion: Warlocks are fine in PvP

That has been the message from developers past months and it's pretty outraging how little they knew of warlocks in general in PvP.
    Let's hope we warlocks get lucky with the coinflip buff in 3.2...
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by mephisto03
    i understand where you are coming from, but giving a class an active defense that can cast fear or seduce or deathcoil or eat a HS or port away or sac a VW or cast while kiting some poor noob in a circle or...wait maybe i don't understand where you are coming from..
    locks have the tools to be good, you just have to pick a pet that you work the best with and find some classes to arena with that you can play well with
    actually thats it! why havent anyone thought of that before? all warlocks just SUCK! except for those 5 procent who actually made it up to 2300..

15+ Year Old Account

warlock vs boomkin.....who wins???

now stop yur bitchin and realize others have it worse than you!!
    "If I recall correctly I just posted that this topic is not to be discussed any further." -Ensidia Fanclub Founder

warlocks do fine in 3's, just have to know what comp to run and how to play lol.
    Rogue|Lock|Shaman|Hunter

Honestly, Afrit, that could very well be true.

I'm a pvping lock myself, though I'm fairly casual at it.. and..

Well, I wouldn't say it so much as "all warlocks just SUCK!" as that warlocks can be an extremely powerful class, but they're also very hard to utilize properly. Having all the macros ready to make use of every ability you have.. Just tough.

So.. If we accept that premise (that locks, like hunters, have all the tools to dominate, but require that they -all- be used), then consider what humans are physically/mentally capable of, perhaps it's simply beyond most players, even very good ones.

Consider: Lot of psych classes will tell you, the human brain has 7 +/- 2 'short term slots'. That is, the number of sort of distinct things you can keep in your active memory. Probably 95% of people are 8 slots or less. What if Locks generally just require someone who has 9 short-term slots? Then seeing 3-5% people performing ok might not be too surprising.

Just food for thought.

More realistically, I think locks are just easy to strategize against. You can pretty much -always- lock us down if you want, whereas many ranged classes have more chaotic mobility. I'd also be willing to bet that it wouldn't take more than a gentle nudge to get locks competetive, assuming Blizz also tones down melee a little bit.

It's just really hard to tell.. We can go from OP to non-existent in the blink of a hotfix.

Quote Originally Posted by Layuth
    warlock vs boomkin.....who wins???
    That's it, keep infighting amongst the underpowered specs. Claw frantically to the bottom of the heap in the hopes that you'll get the next buff.

Here's a counter-question:

Warlock vs. Druid... who has more representation?
    Now stop you trolling and go make useful posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mephisto03
    1- fear got nerfed it even breaks the moment it is casted + not mention the how many ways u have to dispell it
    2- seduce is pet dependent ... what happens if i want to have felhunter to counter casters or VW for shield against melee
    3- HS is useless when u are effected with healing reduce debuff ( imo you won't be bro if u don't use these stuff if u got them)
    4- portal got sick cd + "cant cast while stunned"
    5- sac VW is pet dependent .... as i said i might want to have felhunter or succubus to seduce ( only way to have them is to go demonology and cast them using cd)
    6- where are u coming from ?

bliz realized in s5 that having a class rely on a spammable cc that doesn't break on damage is a problem

honestly i hope they nerf fear some more and give you some other kind of escape/mobility to compensate

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

15+ Year Old Account

trolling vividly today aren't we
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account

This is a bit offtopic but since someone mentioned fear it might as well be said.

Fear went from:

* CC & while doing damage (seriously overpowered at times)
    * CC as lifesaver
    * CC simply to CC a healer for example from casting heals

into

* CC to annoy

Dont get me wrong here but its pretty damn useless nowdays. I don't like when ppl could get killed in my fear while I kept doing damage to them and they could do nothing. Things changed alot with fear tho. When I say its useless its due to the fact that it got gutted and nothing was given to make up for it.

90% of all classes and two racial break it.
    A single crittick on a dot or just a cast of immolate will break it
    Hell I cant even use it as a lifesaver any longer unless the feared target actually run away from me and not RNG keep close to me.

Only purpose for fear is in arena nowdays, if the feared guy dont have teammate(s) or pets that can dispell it and they blew trinkets, bubbles, CoS, racials etc.
    It's still baffling how BLZ rendered fear into being not even a shade of its former self without giving the warlocks something else to compensate in terms of suvivability. Even today some clueless player bring up the "chain fear till im killed" in posts and all BLZ gave us was a Cannot Used While Stunned teleport that need precast and got a 30 sec cd.

No wonder that warlocks struggle in arena when our entire class was built around fear in PvP and it's nerfed into nothingness while at the same time giving every class known a breaker.
    If warlocks where given 5 major glyphs slots and void/succu/felhunter merged into one pet, sure then we would be viable

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    bliz realized in s5 that having a class rely on a spammable cc that doesn't break on damage is a problem

honestly i hope they nerf fear some more and give you some other kind of escape/mobility to compensate
    /sign - its the most obvious simple change - Im a blizz fan boy but some sort of instant NPC style MC would be cool - cant blow cooldowns but acts like a mindless pet for a few seconds - "blind confusion - your deathcoil ability's cooldown is reduced by 9 hours and the target is afflicted by blind confusion causing them to AFK out of arena and be banned from official forums" "Oh and free cake btw check ur mailz"