Thread: Priest Alt

Priest Alt

Hello,
    I think i want to start a priest. I would appreciate if you could post me
    a good leveling build and also what race would u recommend? (Alliance).
    Im going to be disc priest pvp@80.
    Anything else you recommend for leveling, any addons or something else.

Thank you

Re: Priest Alt

Human is good for pvp, dont have to use a pvp trinket. If you want to play disc at 80, it's fairly easy to level as disc. As far as a spec goes http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuhhiRIsffRt it's pretty simple to decide what to spec into, just read the talents and you will figure out what works. Isnt really any addons needed, maybe spell timers but thats about it. Leveling disc is really about absorbing damage, so your shields will be good, most people just shield and wand them to conserve mana.

Levelling as shadow is win Don't mind the crazy people who refuse to accept shadow is the damage-dealing part of the priest class.

So shadow or disc to level with? shadows spells looks better but i dunno, and what about proffs, which are the best for disc pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Levelling as shadow is win Don't mind the crazy people who refuse to accept shadow is the damage-dealing part of the priest class.
    I'd have to agree to this. levelling as shadow is faster and easier. Having tried levelling as holy and shadow, the shadow priest was easier in my opinion.
    http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/shirvala/shirvala-sig.jpg

http://warcraftid.com/card/385/s/c3c887bb2fd4f022e158ca0411629789/spirit.jpg
    (Sig and avatar too large)

first, buy a wand. second, discipline healing doesn't get seriously interesting till later in the game, take spirit tap (first tier shadow tree talent) and level holy if you want to learn how to heal on your way to 80. (btw spirit tap procs from holy spells for some reason, get the killing blow in with a cheeky holy nova and smile as your juice bar fills)
    somebody call for d doctor?

I've levelled to priests to 60 and one to 80. You can heal just fine as shadow priest, there is zero reason to take talents for it.

Healing before lvl 70 is utitlizing Flash Heal, Greater Heal, and Power Word: Shield, no matter how you put it. And those abilities are perfectly fine available as shadow, not to mention, you're more likely to have stats that benefit your healing more in shadow gear, than as healing!

Im not going to heal instances and stuff, im just gonna lvl to 80 as fast as i can. So then Shadow is the best choice? and also what proffesions do you recommend for pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht
    Im not going to heal instances and stuff, im just gonna lvl to 80 as fast as i can. So then Shadow is the best choice? and also what proffesions do you recommend for pvp?
    Yes, shadow is the best choice.
    All proffesions are acual in PvP, i suggest you to take something like tailoring/enchanting because they are both easy to get mats for. Just farm humanoids, they drop both cloth and green items.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht
    Coming from someone who leveled to 80 without a single instance - shadow, all the way, there's been a huge debate what's better but basically after level 40 or so you'll just dash trough mobs as shadow.

Professions:
    Enchanting / Tailoring
    Enchanting / JC
    Enchanting / Engineering

I leveled in a Disco/Holy leveling build from 70-80 and didn't ever have to drink. Its been many moons since I leveled a priest 1-60 so I couldn't even tell you whats *best.* However, I suggest that if your going to PvP as Disco... I would level up as Disco/Holy just to become comfortable with the spells and abilities you will be using later. Its an intangible asset that is hard to replace.

i'd recommend engineering +x for pvp,

the goggles are insanely good at the level you can build/wear them, (62, 72), all grenades help and you can get nitro boosts as a get-out-of-jail-card (pulled to many mobs, ppl try to gank you...), hand-mounted pyro rocket and GLG provide extra dmg at low mana cost (like 0.)

Also, you can use the Nitro Boots while Dispersed, if you ever want to try and PVP as shadow it makes Dispersion an actual escape ability.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Does not matter what you spec for leveling, they are all as slow as each other, just get spirit tap.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    I leveled in a Disco/Holy leveling build from 70-80 and didn't ever have to drink. Its been many moons since I leveled a priest 1-60 so I couldn't even tell you whats *best.* However, I suggest that if your going to PvP as Disco... I would level up as Disco/Holy just to become comfortable with the spells and abilities you will be using later. Its an intangible asset that is hard to replace.
    Don't have to drink is sometimes misleading.

I can level as 0/0/0 and not have to drink. Doesn't mean I am leveling fast.

Shadow kills faster and hence level faster. There's no if's and but about it. Shadow's talents simply amplify dmg more.

For reference, I leveled 3 priests, one in ally, 2 in horde.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTree
    Don't have to drink is sometimes misleading.

I can level as 0/0/0 and not have to drink. Doesn't mean I am leveling fast.

Shadow kills faster and hence level faster. There's no if's and but about it. Shadow's talents simply amplify dmg more.

For reference, I leveled 3 priests, one in ally, 2 in horde.
    True. I was just pointing out that leveling in the spec you plan on playing can benefit you in the long run, especially if it isn't extremely crippling like having to drink all the time.

im currently leveling a priest and here is my 2 cents. Don't level shadow until level you get shadow form. It will take to long to kill mobs with shadow word pain and shit dmg mindflay. At level 20 grab the smith glyph, and level holy so you get the reduce cast time and just holy fire, smite smit smite. Stuff die waaaay faster. When you get shadow form and your dots can crit, respec thats when shadow becomes waaaaaaaay better.
    I want to have a child and use it as a pulling tool in dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by danightryder
    im currently leveling a priest and here is my 2 cents. Don't level shadow until level you get shadow form. It will take to long to kill mobs with shadow word pain and shit dmg mindflay. At level 20 grab the smith glyph, and level holy so you get the reduce cast time and just holy fire, smite smit smite. Stuff die waaaay faster. When you get shadow form and your dots can crit, respec thats when shadow becomes waaaaaaaay better.
    well.. to be efficient, you should use holy fire, dot, may be a smite/mindflay, then just wand the mob to death, mob should die around/before dot is finish. (heal/shield as needed)

And you can move on to the next mob. Doing so, you should be able to chain pull non-stop, at least I could. (with BoA items, this should be way easier)

Chain smite is ok. Just rest time seemed more. Pick up enchanting or find someone to make those low level wands. They kick butts during leveling at low levels. (if you can get a blue one, even better.)

/miss wand specialization talent

Seeing the new talent tree. Shadow > holy/disc all the way up to shadowform. (since you need to invest for 5 points in shadow's spirit tap anyways, may as well go put more points in it than half ass holy/disc)

Once you are 60ish, may be a disc/holy build is comparable, since you get most of the dmg increasing talents from shadow then and shadow tree won't increase ur dmg much more then. Honestly though, shadow is just easier. With a silence and mini evo + less dmg taken.

I would say level as human as they have the best racials.

Priest damage is horrible without shadowform.

I will tell you to get the enchanting green wands untill like level 40 and just cast pain and wand everything to death You can also get blue wands, somtimes they are better but not always. 0 down time and you have more dps then your smite and mindblast can output becuase for some reason they have a lower dps then wands. Even when their dps is simmilar it cost 0 mana so its better to wand anyways since you have less down time. Wands are cheap just get a new one every 4-6 levels-ish.

If you get the talents in disc for improved shield, and meditation, then you can easily pull 2-3 mobs and just renew+shield while you wand/dot/fear everything to death. Its like constant chain pulling.

the tallents you should get are http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...&version=10128
    For talents after that its personal preference and doesnt realy matter, maby imp renew or spirit tap.

At level 40 go shadow.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...&version=10128
    With those tallents.

Then fill it out so it eventually looks like this by level 68.

At level 68 go into the disc tree and finish up to 79 and have it look like this.
    At level 80 do w/e you want :-D

This is the fastest way i've found to level a priest and (regrefully due to racial changes) i've leveled 3 of them... 2 of them are 80 the other is 70...
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Twisted power's suggestion is good. I'll follow his advise if you don't have a better idea.

I personally wouldn't bother with the talent change and start with shadow from the beginning and go on with that.