Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Shadow Priest PVE Damage - Help please

Quote Originally Posted by theexorcist
    why no? i usually wait for sundial to proc and reapply swp for the xtra 590sp as long as swp doesnt fall off it ups my dps and usually is my highest dot
    OMG... you have to be kidding me... do you even look at any combat logs of what your DoTs actually tick for? Perhaps you just ignore the fact that VT has double the coeffecient of SW:P (well tecnically just under double but close enough)... SW:P is our lowest DPS dot but considering it only needs to be cast once and increases both your MF & MB damage it's a necessity but it is by no means the highest dps DoT, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Either you're a troll or you're retarded... while the most effecient DPS stats are Hit > SP > Crit, there is a point where you can't find gear with anymore SP, so you get the items with the same amount of SP and crit. There is also a point where crit becomes > SP... if you have a choice between 1 sp or 10 crit rating the 10 crit rating is the higher dps... it's pretty much common sense. There are also times when a Sp/Crit gem is higher DPS than a pure SP gem if it activates a socket bonus worth having.

Gear choices are never this black and white... aim for hit cap, then getting as much SP as you can and build your crit and haste acccordingly.
    There are gear choices that favor crit. There are gems that are crit based. A priest scales best with SP. Naturally, you don't AVOID crit, but you don't gem for it either exclusively. You'll get all 4 dps stats on your gear but gems are exclusively 19 / 23 sp ones, not crit rating ones. It's really easy to understand as much from a simple sentence I wrote, as one can't avoid getting crit on gear.

For future reference, tone down and fly down from your throne before making oh so witty "retarded" or "troll" comments, I'm really too old to be bothering reading such boring incompetent shit coming from every wow player out there who tries to be the next big badass guy with his oh so new way to flame.
    I can be a jerk too, it's really not hard.

Don't get Spirit Tap & Imp Spirit Tap... keep full points in Meditation... the 5 points in Spirit Tap equates to about 7sp... its hardly worth 5 points and with mana as it is atm, you don't need that extra regen. With those 5 points you can pick up shadow affinity & imp VE which are nice utility to have but neither are necessary....
    Good advice, but I actually just dropped improved VE all together. I mean really, it did barely anything for the raid in the first place. Not like the good old days when people were healed for 300 a tick. Until they buff VE, i'm sticking with 5 points in improved MB.

After alot of dummy testing, my dps with my new build and outfit is at around 3.1 without any raid buffs. That's enough for me.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    oh, btw...

Everyone who suggests "Go to this thread at elitestjerks.com"

I can't stand when you people do that. Direct me to a page that has a write up of useful information not pages and pages of BS, and one or two tidbits of info. I have no desire to search for useful information in a 300 Page long thread.
    So not only are you not willing to do the DPS tests yourself, you are not willing to look through the thread of information that is provided for you?

Shadowpriest.com has some good advice about gear choices, rotations, talents and stats, and they are all easily laid out in separate threads for you.

Or look at the sticky thread, on the priest forum here, called Shadowpriest DPS 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow
    Good advice, but I actually just dropped improved VE all together. I mean really, it did barely anything for the raid in the first place. Not like the good old days when people were healed for 300 a tick. Until they buff VE, i'm sticking with 5 points in improved MB.

After alot of dummy testing, my dps with my new build and outfit is at around 3.1 without any raid buffs. That's enough for me.
    Well, VE at this point is generally for self-healing, the raid healing is marginal at best. On hardmodes or fights with a lot of AoE damage (like pre-nerf XT) you were able to keep nuking without any concern for your health during the 120% total health DoT, since your DPS would heal you for more than the amount of damage you took anyway, but for PVE you should always have full points in Improved Mind Blast anyway. I think Nezoia and Worshaka have posted what are technically the best performing Shadow DPS specs in the Shadowpriest DPS 101 thread as well, so you should check it out.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

:P maybe what i'll say is said before also but i'm too bored of reading 3 pages of replies :P so :
    start up with MB -> VT -> DP -> MF -> MB -> SW:P and then just do MB and fit 2 MFs inbetween the MBs. Don't stop VT on 3 sec's it's better to let it run out than to recast it before it finishes ... i got 13% haste and 4set bonus and i'm casting it around 1.3sec's before it finishes and if i've had an MB before like 1sec before.
    Now , a shadow priest can't do that much dmg to a dummy fight , and 3.7k dps on a boss makes u wonder... which boss? :P because with 3.7k dps on patch ok that's low or on ignis and ofc on hodir / vezax etc. but 3.7k on movement fights is acceptable with ur gear lvl.
    Shadow Priest (along with feral druids) are the most Rotation-dependant classes so try to master ur rebuffs on the target etc. and u'll see a big improvement in dps
    Also the more gear u get the more dmg u do :P

Cheers
    Zoulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Your mana pool can be stretched in hard modes, no doubt about it... if you're only doing normal modes then you can probably afford to miss a few regen talents. However, I can't see where you could put those points anywhere else more beneficial except for spirit tap which doesn't provide massive amounts of mana to begin with and has a negligible dps effect anyways.
    I know that Lostprophet is doing hardmodes with his guild. Likewise, I only miss Freya+3 for 25man Algalon.

Mana can be stretched in Freya as well, but it's easier to use Dispersion without a relevant dps loss there.

Not sure if i'm too late with my post:

Try to get the following addons:

Quartz timers (replaces your cast bar and calculates lag) http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ls/quartz.aspx
    Quartz MF2 (integrating a highlight into the castbar to see when 2 ticks of Mindflay are through so you don't clip one tick accidently, if you have to clip Mindflay, clip always after 2 ticks) http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyMF2.html
    Power Auras (You can e.g. set up a trinket proc like Sundial of the Exiled ("The time is now") and have a warning with graphics, text and/or timers on your screen), helps a lot to refresh your dots once the trinket procced. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...s-classic.aspx

Regarding the VT refresh at about 3 seconds, it will cut your dps. Try to refresh it below 1.5 seconds and try to calculate your haste into it. If you cast 1.35 seconds then you don't want to start the refreshing cast earlier than 1.35 seconds before it ends.

Spirit tap talents are honestly worth not very much tbh. I'd go for Imp VE and some points in threat reduction to compensate bad tanks ^^

if you choose to cast VT first you will guarantee another VT/MB conflict in 15seconds... casting MB first will break that conflict for about 1 minute.
    Good to know, thanks.

Awesome thread btw. Much faster to go through than having to sift through one of the stickies that ranges from how to kill a lvl 1 boar to how to solo Arthas across 9001 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by theexorcist
    watch for sundial to proc and reapply swp
    No.
    You never need to re-apply SW:P, Mind Flay will always refresh SW:P to your current SP.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Also, a priest should never, EVER aim for crit rating at their gear. Ever.
    you are aware that dots crit right? You have seen Glyph of shadow?

If you meant don't gem for crit, then make that clear
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft
    you are aware that dots crit right? You have seen Glyph of shadow?

If you meant don't gem for crit, then make that clear
    No brainiac, I have never heard or seen glyph of shadow, even if it is on my armory and I even corrected my post but hey, who are you to read something before replying and acting smart. Right? I mean, this is all to show how you're oh so strong and smart but please, read before trying to school me.

I apologize for the biting wit. I did read the whole thread, but didn't realize your second post was you because they kind of contradict each other. The first post strongly says that you shouldn't look for crit on your gear, nothing to do with gems, and the second refers to gemming. However, that sentence in the first post was much too strong (and wrong) to not be corrected with the way I understood it.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Well I apologize for abrupt reply too but yes, I didn't word my thoughts properly in the first post. We all know spellpower > crit > haste and I always gear up with spellpower + crit gear rather than spellpower + haste gear.

Never say never... it can be beneficial to use Potent Monarch Topaz's if the socket bonus is worthwhile... this can be true with T8/8.5 gloves and I use one in my Pendant of Fiery Havoc. When selecting gems the best thing to do is take the highest PP alternative... most of the time it will be 19sp, but sp/crit, sp/spirit and even crit/spirit can have their uses for socket bonuses and meta gem activation.