Page 1 of 3
LastLast

looking for input from prot pallys

know ton of these but wondering if I'm geared for heroics. Here's my armory link. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...less+Shinigami

thanks for all help that replies

Re: looking for input from prot pallys

you should do fine in heroics..and you should start with h toc..gotta love those ilvl 219 items

Paladin tanks are the easiest to heal in heroics, by far, especially when comparing them with other budget geared tanks. As long as you are defense capped (and you are) and know what you're doing (which I don't know since I can't tell) then you should be fine. Some budget healers or dps might not want to take you after they look at your HP, which is fine. Steer clear from those groups because those are usually other budget geared facerollers/ebayers/alts that want to get carried by an overgeared tank/healer.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

You are about as geared as my pally when I started tanking raids. So yeah...You'd do fine.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

My advice, and keep in mind this is just me, Seals of the Pure in the holy tree, Reckoning in the prot tree, as well as Divine Guardian (unless you're off-tanking in raid) in the prot tree are pretty useless. I'd swap those aggro building talents for Divinity in the prot tree, as paladin aggro is for the most part passive, and when you're a paladin tank with multiple mobs on you, the 5% extra healing has the potential to be a lot. Paladins are more about mitigating damage and letting the mobs pound away, in opposite of warriors who have to scream and shout and smash face. Paladins stand there looking all righteous and dare the mobs to try and kill them.

Since you are new to heroics, maybe you should think about taking vindication. Its a very nice talent to decrease incoming damage.

My spec is this:
    [Link] And yes, i love running faster
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    Since you are new to heroics, maybe you should think about taking vindication. Its a very nice talent to decrease incoming damage.

My spec is this:
    Heart of the Crusader instead of Benediction and Divine guardian instead of Divinity -> you're good to go.

About the gems: You should only use green (Def + Stam) , purple (Agi or Dodge + Stam) and blue (pure Stam) gems. (Yellow - pure Def if you're below 540 def)
    Don't gem for Expertise, Parry etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEff
    My advice, and keep in mind this is just me, Seals of the Pure in the holy tree, Reckoning in the prot tree, as well as Divine Guardian (unless you're off-tanking in raid) in the prot tree are pretty useless. I'd swap those aggro building talents for Divinity in the prot tree, as paladin aggro is for the most part passive, and when you're a paladin tank with multiple mobs on you, the 5% extra healing has the potential to be a lot. Paladins are more about mitigating damage and letting the mobs pound away, in opposite of warriors who have to scream and shout and smash face. Paladins stand there looking all righteous and dare the mobs to try and kill them.
    His current spec is better than the one you described. Seals of the pure is a decent DPS increase, not to mention he will be struggling to keep threat off the monster 6-8k dps people can do now (If he happens to pug one of those)

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Heart of the Crusader instead of Benediction and Divine guardian instead of Divinity -> you're good to go.

About the gems: You should only use green (Def + Stam) , purple (Agi or Dodge + Stam) and blue (pure Stam) gems. (Yellow - pure Def if you're below 540 def)
    Don't gem for Expertise, Parry etc.
    I gem for those...And hit...
    It's not bad to gem for those.

My spec is this:
    Good advice, vindication is pretty much a must.

I prefer
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...XZZp_b0,,10392
    Myself
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

A few thing's i could recommend :-

1) Swapping the meta gem you have now for the 32 sta/2% armour one (Austere Earthsiege Diamond) since your above the +def minimum

2) You have both the Glyph of SoV and your Expertise is at 24 already you could easily swap out that 8exp/12 sta gem for an agi/sta or a dodge/sta one

3) Make your first conquest purchase the Libram of the Sacred Shield (since it's buffed in next patch, which isn't that far off)

4) I would never go with str/def gem's. Paladin threat is pretty good, even with the nerf coming that you should never really need to gem for strength. I'd swap it to agi/sta or dodge/sta. Same goes for the neckpiece, swap the 6 stat's to a agi or dodge + sta gem

5) Personally i would respec a little but your choice's are not bad. Since your mainly doing heroic's and looking at your chocie's i assume you were going for a bit of threat, then personally i would get rid of Seals of the Pure, the 1 in reckoning and drop one from spiritual attunement. I would also drop 2 out of divine guardian. I'd then take either 1 in benediction or 1 in might, then 2 in vindication, 2 in PoJ and then either 1 in conviction or the other point in might, then grab 3 in crusade. Most instance's have pretty much all those type of mob's/bosses in em that you'd most likely get more benefit from that that the 1 in reckoning and SotP.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Good advice, vindication is pretty much a must.

I prefer
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...XZZp_b0,,10392
    Myself
    The reason why people have to make a decision between SotP and Crusade is that crusade need more sacrificed points in ret. Since you already did put a lot of points in ret, go for crusade.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

The reason why people have to make a decision between SotP and Crusade is that crusade need more sacrificed points in ret. Since you already did put a lot of points in ret, go for crusade.
    Minor difference. I'll have to try this out.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie
    A few thing's i could recommend :-

3) Make your first conquest purchase the Libram of the Sacred Shield (since it's buffed in next patch, which isn't that far off)

4) I would never go with str/def gem's. Paladin threat is pretty good, even with the nerf coming that you should never really need to gem for strength. I'd swap it to agi/sta or dodge/sta. Same goes for the neckpiece, swap the 6 stat's to a agi or dodge + sta gem
    Isnt the Touched by Light change coming with the same patch as the Sacred Shield change? If so, for the same reasons as number 3, Str/Def gems wont be as bad as you are suggesting. I'm thinking of replacing alot of my gems with either pure +Str or some sort of +str/+? combo.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

use this spec for heroics since you won't always have a ret paladin to buff the melee. http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...t7V59Yb,,10392

If you regularly run with a ret then move the points from imp might to conviction.

Gem agi/stam(highest effective health) in red sockets and blue sockets until you are geared. At that point you can switch to straight stam gems in blue sockets. In yellow sockets put def/stam almost always even if you are over defense cap since the avoidance is good to have.

Learn the 969 rotation and love it.

get either the libram of obstruction of the triumph badge libram.

Pray you don't have a destr lock in your group since they are severely threat capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    Isnt the Touched by Light change coming with the same patch as the Sacred Shield change? If so, for the same reasons as number 3, Str/Def gems wont be as bad as you are suggesting. I'm thinking of replacing alot of my gems with either pure +Str or some sort of +str/+? combo.
    Thank god you are alliance so I never have to run with you.

Have you noticed how much str comes on the plate gear? Your threat won't be bad, it will just be more in line with the other tanks meaning we have to pay attention more. Any sort of str gem for a tank is worthless and a complete waste of a socket. You should be concentrating on avoidance and health above 540 defense. Agi/stam will still be the highest effective health gem until 50% or so pure avoidance after DR at which point hit points are better.

Gemming for anything other than avoidance and hit points with the exception of yellow sockets is pure fail.

Quote Originally Posted by maygor
    use this spec for heroics since you won't always have a ret paladin to buff the melee. http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...t7V59Yb,,10392

If you regularly run with a ret then move the points from imp might to conviction.

Gem agi/stam(highest effective health) in red sockets and blue sockets until you are geared. At that point you can switch to straight stam gems in blue sockets. In yellow sockets put def/stam almost always even if you are over defense cap since the avoidance is good to have.

Learn the 969 rotation and love it.

get either the libram of obstruction of the triumph badge libram.

Pray you don't have a destr lock in your group since they are severely threat capped.
    In the next mini patch (3.2.2) Sacred Shield libram will have more block value than Obstruction so while it is more now, hardly worth wasting the badge's for such a short period of time.

Yeah, it is coming with the same patch. Str gem's are never bad just i'm not sure it's worth actively putting some in gear for the benefit you'd get. Certainly not your main tanking set although for your block set i guess it would be fine. Since we never really have threat problem's i just prefer to stick some avoidance in than upping my own damage. If i start to get threat issue's then i might consider switching but so far pallie threat is pretty solid.

Str Gems are only good for farm content and aoe bosses (Thorim/Freya) for anything else they provide almost 0 mitigation and a lot of unneeded tps. Stamina will stay the major gem for anything if you're doing progress raids.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEff
    I disagree. Especially with the threat nerf coming next patch.
    10% less threat plus about a 150 drop in SP or so is going to hurt more than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Canbie
    I disagree. Especially with the threat nerf coming next patch.
    10% less threat plus about a 150 drop in SP or so is going to hurt more than people think.
    You are doing your tanking-math wrong.
    It´s not "10% less threat in next patch", the nerf does not affect white-hit threat so
    you still do 143% threat on normal melee-attacks, and holy threat goes
    from 243% to 233%, not that big of a nerf you see.

Holy threat gets nerfed to 95.9% of what it is now,
    white-hit threat gets no nerf at all.

And im no too bothered at the switch to getting spellpower from 60% str instead of 30% stamina, with the
    gear and gemming i have atm it´s roughly 1500 str vs 3000 stamina, so give or take a little, the change
    in my spellpower will not be noticed.
    Just gonna be glad if they manage to get some of the dirty prot-healers out from the pvp. :P
    Only thing i hope for now is the removal on the 30% increased crit-heals the prot-tree
    gives, since it has no value for tankadins when they are doing what they are meant to, tank things.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilution
    You are doing your tanking-math wrong.
    It´s not "10% less threat in next patch", the nerf does not affect white-hit threat so
    you still do 143% threat on normal melee-attacks, and holy threat goes
    from 243% to 233%, not that big of a nerf you see.

Holy threat gets nerfed to 95.9% of what it is now,
    white-hit threat gets no nerf at all.

And im no too bothered at the switch to getting spellpower from 60% str instead of 30% stamina, with the
    gear and gemming i have atm it´s roughly 1500 str vs 3000 stamina, so give or take a little, the change
    in my spellpower will not be noticed.
    Just gonna be glad if they manage to get some of the dirty prot-healers out from the pvp. :P
    Only thing i hope for now is the removal on the 30% increased crit-heals the prot-tree
    gives, since it has no value for tankadins when they are doing what they are meant to, tank things.
    I have to agree on this last part. With the introduction of offspec's the talent is no longer useful really and they should just get rid of the crit heal part of it and have only the strength>SP buff. I tried healing as a protadin in an instance and i had to change to ret, which even though was less throughput, had more option's and was just better in my eye's. So yeah, dump the talent and you fix prot paladin's once and for all