Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Real hard modes for ICC - achievements for using no addons

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam
    Well, addons like dbm tells you what to do. All you need to do after that is to follow the commands. Easy as hell. Try to disable your addons and notice the difference.
    You know, I fight Ragnaros without DBM on a regular basis. Funny thing? It works just as well as it would with DBM... only catch is I spend a little more time running a stopwatch to time when he does his melee knockbacks.

Strangely, I expect that good guilds would have similar findings, while people that stand in fires would continue to do so.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    OMG - you mean heal people who are low health... Did our first heroic runs without mods to show who had it besides dbm. Having it shown just makes the fight mindless as healer (even more than normal).
    on anub you have to NOT heal people who are low health, otherwise anub will heal himself as hell. in addition, on anub 25 heroic FIRST tick of penetrating cold kills anyone except the tank in the raid because they are on 1.5-2k hp.

ps - i always smiling when i see dps' or tank' UI. they are using standard, they are using mods like *8 buttons and minimap and nothing more* and all of this. i mean that looks really cool, but YOU CAN NOT HEAL WITH THIS INTERFACE.
    as a healer i have X-pearl, Omen (have to cast Salvation on some dps sometimes), recount (have to see last 3-4 seconds of everybody's death), quartz(have to see my ping to correctly hitting button), dbm (have to prepare my cd's or simply make pre-cast before boss casts Killing Spell onto the tank/raid), bartender etc...
    respectable topic starter, i suppose your best raid achievement is *tribute to skill*-10 or *tribute to mad skill*-10 (or even the Fall of naxxramas!) or you are not healer. try to beat some damaging encounter as a healer without addons, using standard UI... it's impossible, except you overgeared the instance.
    [Talisman of Resurgence] icon is made of small kitten's red eyes. each time you use the proc, the god kills two more kittens to refresh it's icon after cooldown.
    Holy Paladin trinket comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Exera
    Not done heroic Anub have you?
    Worse he hasn't even read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bainies
    With all the QQ about people hoping that ICC is not puggable, and that it is a challenge, how about making achievements for having no addons enabled. Pretty easy for Blizzard to implement as they already have the coding to disable certain addons.

I suspect even the uber guilds would find life without addons pretty challenging. Any boss kills could be put down to the skill of the people killing them rather than partly down to the co-ordination tools that a kind 3rd party programmer has given them.

On the other hand, maybe the reduced lag would make things easier... /sarcasm
    shut up and go download addons.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas
    This was in our attempt on ToGC Lord Randomxyz. A pally was assigned to heal the flesh debuff, he was using default UI at the time. I have some left over pumpkin heads from hallowed event that I decided to toss around instead of deleting them, then I heard on vent "!@$!@$ the one dropping that damn pumpkin head on ppl, I cant see flesh debuff!!!111". I was like 0_o.

He switched to grid after that. Or rather forced to, lol.

Heroic raid cant be done without addons, at least as a healer. Even if it s possible, I dont ever want to stress myself unnecessary.
    Our holy/disc priest does it, because she hates addons and hates having to update them all the time. The only addon she uses is gatherer and because it helps her farm faster. She is one of the best priest I have ever raid with, and I play in multiple servers.

Addons are not a necessity, people just depends on them too much to a point where they believe something is not possible with out them.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingll
    Standard blizz UI
    Dbm, Omen, recount Ftw ;D
    ^

And to the guy who made the dps wisecrack up there, I tank and heal just as much. I just prefer the blizz ui because it actually has icons associated with the debuff. On grid you you have a tiny dot in the corner of the unit frame, unless you set it for center in which case it covered the entire effing frame and you can't see health or who it is. Not a skill based argument, just a preference.

Most other UIs have way to much shit that goes along with the 2-3 features you really need. Clutters everything up, too flashy and full of stuff you could easily do without. Way to distracting.

How about disabling addons, and also not watching videos from Tankspot or something of that nature? How about no sites like mmo or wowwiki to delineate the abilities and skills of the bosses?

The community has grown so much larger than what it was in vanilla days. ICC hasn't even been released yet, and yet most people have a general idea of what to do in those fights already. Some people have been intently studying those videos so they can knock out world and server firsts in the first lockout period of it being released.

Whereas back in MC days, most of the people on the server didn't have any idea where MC even WAS, much less ideas of the fights.

Yes, I know places existed back then to give information. But it wasn't as complete, and it wasn't as widely known among every tom dick and hairy playing the game.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by toxicdinos
    Our holy/disc priest does it, because she hates addons and hates having to update them all the time. The only addon she uses is gatherer and because it helps her farm faster. She is one of the best priest I have ever raid with, and I play in multiple servers.

Addons are not a necessity, people just depends on them too much to a point where they believe something is not possible with out them.
    Show me her dispells on FC.

And I wonder how well all of the DPS here would fare without Omen or anything similar (yes I do count the built in Blizzard Threatmeter as an addon.) There was a time in Vanilla where there was no threatmeter at all.

You had to literaly wait for 5 sunders on the boss...and on onyxia P1 most casters had to level their wands because you could not know exactly how much damage you could do until you pulled aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    OMG - you mean heal people who are low health... Did our first heroic runs without mods to show who had it besides dbm. Having it shown just makes the fight mindless as healer (even more than normal).
    I can tell you've never done Anub25 Heroic.

No. You absoultely DO NOT heal everyone that is low. You heal specific people that get Penetrating Cold. Everyone else should be at 5% health or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao

And I wonder how well all of the DPS here would fare without Omen or anything similar (yes I do count the built in Blizzard Threatmeter as an addon.) There was a time in Vanilla where there was no threatmeter at all.

You had to literaly wait for 5 sunders on the boss...and on onyxia P1 most casters had to level their wands because you could not know exactly how much damage you could do until you pulled aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by khanthal
    I can tell you've never done Anub25 Heroic.

No. You absoultely DO NOT heal everyone that is low. You heal specific people that get Penetrating Cold. Everyone else should be at 5% health or less.
    5%? not quite..

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Quote Originally Posted by bainies
    With all the QQ about people hoping that ICC is not puggable, and that it is a challenge, how about making achievements for having no addons enabled. Pretty easy for Blizzard to implement as they already have the coding to disable certain addons.

I suspect even the uber guilds would find life without addons pretty challenging. Any boss kills could be put down to the skill of the people killing them rather than partly down to the co-ordination tools that a kind 3rd party programmer has given them.

On the other hand, maybe the reduced lag would make things easier... /sarcasm
    The only downside to this is that it is very class biased.

Playing a DPS without addons is 100x easier than playing a healer without addons. Playing a healer without addons is just pain.

I've done both. Not sure how hard a tank is without addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao

With pleasure, next time I raid with her I will make sure to take a screen shoot of everything she does and link it to this same thread for you to see. Considering she also beats all healers as disc most of the time I wouldn't doubt her skills. Don't forget WoW has its own raiding bars where you can see buffs and debuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiggity
    The only downside to this is that it is very class biased.

Playing a DPS without addons is 100x easier than playing a healer without addons. Playing a healer without addons is just pain.
    This
    Be Thankful For Everything For Soon There Will Be Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by toxicdinos
    With pleasure, next time I raid with her I will make sure to take a screen shoot of everything she does and link it to this same thread for you to see. Considering she also beats all healers as disc most of the time I wouldn't doubt her skills. Don't forget WoW has its own raiding bars where you can see buffs and debuffs.
    Beating other healers as disc? bad guild.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shmiles
    because addons = skill amirite?
    no they dont but they drastically decrease the skill requirement to raid
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Quote Originally Posted by Skiball
    And to the guy who made the dps wisecrack up there, I tank and heal just as much. I just prefer the blizz ui because it actually has icons associated with the debuff. On grid you you have a tiny dot in the corner of the unit frame, unless you set it for center in which case it covered the entire effing frame and you can't see health or who it is. Not a skill based argument, just a preference.

Most other UIs have way to much shit that goes along with the 2-3 features you really need. Clutters everything up, too flashy and full of stuff you could easily do without. Way to distracting.
    So you haven't really sat down with Grid much, have you?

And you do realize that your UI doesn't have to look like these other people's UI's, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo
    no they dont but they drastically decrease the skill requirement to raid
    No, they do not.

They merely reorganize information into a format that the end user prefers.

They add nothing you wouldn't otherwise know. They just make it cleaner and more organized.

Would disabling them make raids harder? Yes. But so would setting your language to Swahili and having everyone in your raid speak in pig latin. It's about the same.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

cause hardmode raiders need to know they are in the fire through a addon?
    addons barely do anything, just give you some timers most of the time, and eases up the targeting when it comes to healing.

My guess is that you are a dps. Not that I'm ragging on dps, but I'm also guessing you are one of those dps that just has to watch the cool downs on your abilities or press the same buttons over and over. Add ons for healers are pretty freaking necessary. Blizzard fails hardcore at designing raid frames that are actually usable by healers. Without add ons I wouldn't want to try to heal, and your hps goes down the freaking drain. So, having a no add ons achievement just screws over healers. I also believe that raids can be done without DBM. Its just not nearly as easy to do a raid without DBM as it is to do a raid with DBM though.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.