Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Soul shards will regenerate quickly upon leaving combat"

Depending on how fast 'quickly' is, we might have the potential to spam our soul shard super spells, and then just run / teleport away and get out of combat for a few seconds, and regen them back. Seems like it might be a cool little strat.

It's really going to depend on how fast it takes to regen one once out of combat. (I.e. if it takes 30 seconds, it's not worth doing nothing for 30 seconds, but if it's 5-10, it might be.)

What do you all think?

Re: "Soul shards will regenerate quickly upon leaving combat"

Quote Originally Posted by SensenmanN
    Depending on how fast 'quickly' is, we might have the potential to spam our soul shard super spells, and then just run / teleport away and get out of combat for a few seconds, and regen them back. Seems like it might be a cool little strat.

It's really going to depend on how fast it takes to regen one once out of combat. (I.e. if it takes 30 seconds, it's not worth doing nothing for 30 seconds, but if it's 5-10, it might be.)

What do you all think?
    wait... what?
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

10+ Year Old Account

jezh. Nerf warlocks already.
    Vol'jin fanboy

????
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

OOOOR you could just use Drain soul...do damage, and get soul shards :O

Quote Originally Posted by feanix712
    OOOOR you could just use Drain soul...do damage, and get soul shards :O
    If it works that well / that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius
    ????
    Not sure what you don't understand?

They are getting rid of soul shards, and making them almost like a DK's rune. You have a few and they recharge much faster out of combat. So I'm saying if they recharge super fast out of combat (in like 5-10 seconds) you could get yourself out of combat long enough to recharge.

It would be like if a priest's Pain Suppression cooldown recharged very fast OOC, he would pop it and just get outta combat ASAP so he can use it again.

your enemy could simply drink/eat while youre regaining your shards 8>

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul
    your enemy could simply drink/eat while youre regaining your shards 8>
    Good thing you have partners in arenas. Not to mention if your smart with your pet management it will make it hard for them.

Good thing you have partners in arenas. Not to mention if your smart with your pet management it will make it hard for them.
    pet + attack = combat.

oooooooooooooo wait.

Too bad if your pet is on them you won't get any soulshards for leaving combat... because you don't leave combat.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Deleted

I'd be very surprised if blizz created the mechanic in such a way as to make this a viable way of boosting your dps/pvp. Plus it's on leaving combat, rather than on cessation of casting (unlike mp5), leaving combat while your enemy is still alive is not easily done quickly or on demand, think about how long it takes for a mob to stop chasing you after you ran by on your mount, then scale up for the context to which you refer. From the sort of 'empowerment' suggestions we've heard so far I doubt very much that any of them, or even any three of them will compensate for even a 10 second loss of dps/other action. If you can get far enough away that you have even 10 seconds of breathing space why the hell would you want an instant cast fear for example.

Additionally, leaving combat in raid encounter I don't think is possible, 10 secs in pvp is enough for your opponent to heal up, and in trivial pve mobs would reset to full out of combat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Galith
    Too bad if your pet is on them you won't get any soulshards for leaving combat... because you don't leave combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinni
    pet + attack = combat.
    oooooooooooooo wait.
    Like I said, smart use. You can pull it back, tell it to stop a second later, then after the (lets just say 5 for argument's sake) 5 seconds it takes to regen a shard, send the pet back on the person. It's very unlikely most healers will see what you are doing instantly and realize they should stop doing things to keep them in combat (healing their partner?) and try and get a drink in. Also if it does only take 5 seconds to get a shard, 5 seconds of drinking is almost no mana.

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    leaving combat while your enemy is still alive is not easily done quickly or on demand,
    I'm talking about pvp. And with a teleport placed in a good spot and a helpful partner it is very possible, and rather easy... Hammer from your pally, fear from your priest, roots / cyclone from your druid, earthbind from your sham.

If you can get far enough away that you have even 10 seconds of breathing space why the hell would you want an instant cast fear for example.
    So if you are kiting as affliction with a row of dots you can just turn around and "WABAM INSTANT CAST SOULFIRE TO YOUR FAAAAAACE" and laugh.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

I'd be very surprised if blizz created the mechanic in such a way as to make this a viable way of boosting your dps/pvp. Plus it's on leaving combat, rather than on cessation of casting (unlike mp5), leaving combat while your enemy is still alive is not easily done quickly or on demand, think about how long it takes for a mob to stop chasing you after you ran by on your mount, then scale up for the context to which you refer. From the sort of 'empowerment' suggestions we've heard so far I doubt very much that any of them, or even any three of them will compensate for even a 10 second loss of dps/other action. If you can get far enough away that you have even 10 seconds of breathing space why the hell would you want an instant cast fear for example.

Additionally, leaving combat in raid encounter I don't think is possible, 10 secs in pvp is enough for your opponent to heal up, and in trivial pve mobs would reset to full out of combat anyway.
    Its 6 seconds in pvp to leave combat. Just clarifying.
    Been gone since 2011, enjoying being back.

Quote Originally Posted by Galith
    So if you are kiting as affliction with a row of dots you can just turn around and "WABAM INSTANT CAST SOULFIRE TO YOUR FAAAAAACE" and laugh.
    Like he said, also it isn't just used for insta fear.

if your pet is in combat so are you, and i will just have to treat Locks as i treat rogues, keep em in combat
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    if your pet is in combat so are you, and i will just have to treat Locks as i treat rogues, keep em in combat
    Like I said before, SMART pet management. As the guy mentioned before, it takes 6 seconds just to get out of combat, and like I've mentioned before, 5 seconds of drinking is not very much mana. Not to mention if you have a decent partner.

Yes, you will have to treat locks and rogues just like you treat healers, don't let them out of combat. The difference is warlock has a nifty spell to put a good bit of distance between himself and the enemy.

The biggest use I can see for this is something like this.
    Your in a fight, the team (war + healer) is training your pet. It dies, so you use a soul shard to insta another one out, now you are out of soul shards. The way the game works now your SoL, because you have a 15 min CD on insta pets. If a Soul Shard gives you an instant pet summon, you can just get out of combat, regen one and then get your pet back.

Also I don't know that it will work like that, but I'm just saying, if it does it will be very cool. A new trick under my belt.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Omniclass
    Its 6 seconds in pvp to leave combat. Just clarifying.
    ye, i appreciate that, but we're accounting for regen time as well, 10 secs is me giving a ridiculously short time for the sake of argument. Similarly on the point of leaving combat quickly and easily, what I mean is that it's not the case that you just port, regen shard, cast. I know that your team-mates can work to make it possible without a huge amount of fuss, but enough fuss and co-ordination that you'd better be about to bring out something pretty damn juicy.

as to the dot and insta soulfire waiting 10 secs or more in inactivity for an insta soulfire still seems kind of self-defeating, if you're using your team-mates to cc while you regen anyway. I agree that it's not quite that black and white in pvp, that situation is law rather than pure output, but I still think it's unlikely that you'd find that it would be worth running this as a regular tactic unless the empowerments were so OP as to warrant instant nerfing anyway. I guess I'd concede that there may well be times in specific fights where it would be worth buying your lock the time needed to regen a shard or two, but due to the loss of a man for that long it'd have to be really needed. If that's the kind of thing you're talking about then I think that would probably be both balanced and add a fairly interesting dynamic to teams using locks, which I like the sound of.

edit: pressé - I'm not saying that the tactic is impossible, I'm saying that i think that the likelihood is that a warlock who can make good use of their 3 shards is going to be performing better than a warlock who uses 6 and requires downtime during the fight. I probably should have better qualified my use of the word 'viable' in my first post.

I agree that it's not quite that black and white in pvp, that situation is law rather than pure output, but I still think it's unlikely that you'd find that it would be worth running this as a regular tactic unless the empowerments were so OP as to warrant instant nerfing anyway. I guess I'd concede that there may well be times in specific fights where it would be worth buying your lock the time needed to regen a shard or two, but due to the loss of a man for that long it'd have to be really needed.
    I agree with the part about it being pointless to boost your DPS by getting 1 more insta soulfire. The main use I can see is the ability to instant another pet out if the enemy gives you 10 seconds out of combat.

Think about it, one of my main complaints about lock ATM is that almost every melee team's strat is simply 'train the pet'. There is a bit of timing involved by smart teams, but most just sit on it 24/7 because it's simply easier to kill and a lock with no pet is a dead lock.
    Having the ability to get a pet back fairly easy if the other team lets themselves get controlled for 10 seconds / is retarded enough to leave you alone for 10 seconds, would be a very big improvement. (I'd still rather see more pet hp/resil or soul link not requiring a pet)

Ugh, this system is going to be horrible.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot