Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Festergut and DK tanks

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh
    with 20% dodge reduction due to ICC radiance, I don't see how tanking this as Unholy would be a smart decision compared to the alternatives.
    Ya, I didn't even want to think about tanking that with unholy. Due to his melee speed, your bone armor would get taken away in a couple seconds!

I think I might try and tank in blood this week...see how it goes. Maybe see if my healers can get me through phase 2 with no cooldowns, and then used VB with IBF on the 3rd inhale.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rms&n=blakkout

Maybe get a GS near the end of the 3rd inhale

Quote Originally Posted by blakkout
    Ya, I didn't even want to think about tanking that with unholy. Due to his melee speed, your bone armor would get taken away in a couple seconds!
    While bone shield won't last long in this fight, it has a minimum uptime of 12 seconds due to an internal cooldown on bone charges being lost. Think of Bone Shield as a 12 second CD, with avoidance adding some uptime to it.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Vodamn
    While bone shield won't last long in this fight, it has a minimum uptime of 12 seconds due to an internal cooldown on bone charges being lost. Think of Bone Shield as a 12 second CD, with avoidance adding some uptime to it.
    As far as I remember, the CD was removed, so it can disappear much faster than 12 seconds. The tooltip does say "each damaging attack that lands removes a charge", and mentions no CD (which it used to).

I've only tanked this in 10m but have a couple things to say.

If you're healers are having a problem keeping the tanks up during the 2nd inhale phase, there are 1 of 2 or even a combo of these happening:

- 1. Tanks are not geared enough to tank this encounter yet, or
    - 2. Healers are not geared enough to keep the tanks up.

Yes, second inhale is 60% damage and 60%+ speed, but at this point there is very limited raid damage going on that two, or even one healer might be able to manage solo. Depending on your raid composition, this means (which might be overkill) you can have anywhere from 3 to 5 healers focusing on the tank(s).

What I am trying to get to is that using any CD during the second inhale should be avoided considering the fact the 3rd inhale is almost double the damage at double the speed, inherently almost quadrupeling the damage Festergut deals. I believe saving CDs for 3rd inhale phase has to be the priority.

Deciding what spec to be on this boss is a little tricky. There are many key things that make each spec viable (blood vs frost). Don't want to even consider UH as being a tank spec since DK was released.

- Blood:
    - VB - increasing health and healing done to the DK (glyphed lasting 15 secs)
    - Death Strike - while mostly overhealing when used, can be clutch in certain situations
    - Mark of Blood - A talent many seem to skip over, but imo could be very useful for this encounter.

- Frost:
    - UA – a very solid CD increasing armor and strength (in turn increasing parry)
    - IBF – A longer CD as frost, but all specs obviously have this CD.

Now, this may just be a useless wall of text, but I believe blood would be the strongest tanking spec for this encounter. Not because it has more CDs, but because of the nature of ICC in general. With the straight 20% dodge nerf, tanking stat priorities have shifted a bit. ATM it seems to be Effective Health > Armor > Parry > Dodge, with of course Dodge not being a useless stat.

Oh, and one more thing with Festergut, the debuff he gives to the tanks stacks to 10 and then they explode. But, with how slow the debuff actually stacks, both tanks can stack it up to 9 and the second can taunt off. There is no reason for the tanks to explode on this encounter. To those that have been using this strat, genius; to those that haven’t, try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigadiddle
    Because the fact is , DK is the only one without an absorb or block feature.

A Warrior or paladin taking 10K blocks off? sure
    a Druid absorbing 5K? not bad...
    A DK? Taking 100% dmg...
    Gotta love absurd statements...10 Blocks sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeatêr
    I've only tanked this in 10m but have a couple things to say.

If you're healers are having a problem keeping the tanks up during the 2nd inhale phase, there are 1 of 2 or even a combo of these happening:

- 1. Tanks are not geared enough to tank this encounter yet, or
    - 2. Healers are not geared enough to keep the tanks up.

Yes, second inhale is 60% damage and 60%+ speed, but at this point there is very limited raid damage going on that two, or even one healer might be able to manage solo. Depending on your raid composition, this means (which might be overkill) you can have anywhere from 3 to 5 healers focusing on the tank(s).

What I am trying to get to is that using any CD during the second inhale should be avoided considering the fact the 3rd inhale is almost double the damage at double the speed, inherently almost quadrupeling the damage Festergut deals. I believe saving CDs for 3rd inhale phase has to be the priority.

Deciding what spec to be on this boss is a little tricky. There are many key things that make each spec viable (blood vs frost). Don't want to even consider UH as being a tank spec since DK was released.

- Blood:
    - VB - increasing health and healing done to the DK (glyphed lasting 15 secs)
    - Death Strike - while mostly overhealing when used, can be clutch in certain situations
    - Mark of Blood - A talent many seem to skip over, but imo could be very useful for this encounter.

- Frost:
    - UA – a very solid CD increasing armor and strength (in turn increasing parry)
    - IBF – A longer CD as frost, but all specs obviously have this CD.

Now, this may just be a useless wall of text, but I believe blood would be the strongest tanking spec for this encounter. Not because it has more CDs, but because of the nature of ICC in general. With the straight 20% dodge nerf, tanking stat priorities have shifted a bit. ATM it seems to be Effective Health > Armor > Parry > Dodge, with of course Dodge not being a useless stat.

Oh, and one more thing with Festergut, the debuff he gives to the tanks stacks to 10 and then they explode. But, with how slow the debuff actually stacks, both tanks can stack it up to 9 and the second can taunt off. There is no reason for the tanks to explode on this encounter. To those that have been using this strat, genius; to those that haven’t, try it out.
    Ya I am going to use Blood on 25 man tonight and see how it goes. Ill post after!

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    As far as I remember, the CD was removed, so it can disappear much faster than 12 seconds. The tooltip does say "each damaging attack that lands removes a charge", and mentions no CD (which it used to).
    Yeah, but they changed tooltips for a lot of abilities to be less "technical". I'm pretty sure the ICD is still in there, though. It could have changed but that would be a pretty significant nerf to bone shield, which they nerfed anyway with reducing max bone charges. I'll test tonight if I remember...

As far as choice of specs on Festergut, I've tried both Frost and Blood on 25man, and Blood seems to pull ahead a bit in terms of survivability, though both specs can tank this fight. I will say this is a great fight for Rune Tap to shine.

Edit: Also, don't forget that Gastic Bloat is a massive dps/threat increase. What this means is you'll have so much threat that you can hold most of your death strikes until you take hits, and save blood runes for Rune Tap if it's coming off cooldown, and you won't have trouble keeping your threat this way (although if your raid is pushing for max DPS, they may want you to DPS harder... though tank survivability should obviously be the #1 concern for you in this fight.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeatêr
    ATM it seems to be Effective Health > Armor > Parry > Dodge, with of course Dodge not being a useless stat.
    Dodge > Parry. Always. Unless you got so much dodge 40% or more that parry DR is less than dodge DR.

Quote Originally Posted by Captn
    Channel your army of the dead in the end.

Tanked it as blood yesterday night and went perfectly, did not die. Taunted off the 2nd inhale as first tank had 8 stacks...then on third inhale used IBF, VB and combo of trinkets. Got GS near the end of the third however didn't need it, just didn't want to die! Went great!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by mattepatte
    Dodge > Parry. Always. Unless you got so much dodge 40% or more that parry DR is less than dodge DR.
    You realize you basically just said "Dodge > Parry. Always. Unless Parry > Dodge."

Either way it's completely pointless because this is a fight that favors the heavy-stamina stackers. If you get bad RNG with avoidance gemming/gearing, you will get instagibbed otherwise.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

just wanted to add, anyone else notice if they use AMS when the spore is going to explode, you don't get innoculated?

i know i was dying to this first time we tried.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxide
    just wanted to add, anyone else notice if they use AMS when the spore is going to explode, you don't get innoculated?

i know i was dying to this first time we tried.
    Use AMS when he does his AOE(after the 3rd stack)
    or pop it at the start to reduce Aoe damage on you and give you an instant 100% RP

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser
    You realize you basically just said "Dodge > Parry. Always. Unless Parry > Dodge."

Either way it's completely pointless because this is a fight that favors the heavy-stamina stackers. If you get bad RNG with avoidance gemming/gearing, you will get instagibbed otherwise.
    Sounded kinda corny lol.

Done it with a warrior and DK, warrior first then DK taunting on 9 using IBF straight away, then vamp blood and an armor potion, channel army near the end of vamp blood and get healer CD's from then on.