Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc and the meters

Hey fellas,
    myself and many others (i think) are dissapointed for damage absorbed by shields is not showing up in tools like recount etc. I cant imagine it to be such a big issue to implement, so it finally shows up and im not beeing blamed for heal less then holy specs. I think of it like combining healing done and damage absorbed by X.
    Much like damage of pets and players can be displayed combined.

any thoughts ?

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Disc and the meters

Get Skada?

But seriously meters suck for healers anyways

Stop caring what idiot pug leaders think. Its a pug. Or shield, and heal more. If you care about meters that much just spam PoH all day.

i would sujest.. going and getting the addon for it?

10+ Year Old Account

Get recount guessed absorbs, its rather nice.

Recount has an extra down loadable "Guessed Absorbs" component that is overly generous, but will give you an idea of how much you're potentially shielding for. I say it is overly generous because it assumes that 100% of every divine aegis + PW: Shield gets fully absorbed on every target (which is highly unlikely).

Given this, you can add roughly 30% to the effective healing done to get a basic amount your Disc'y is healing for. If you're still fantastically below the other healers with a "ghost 30%" accounted for, and people are still dying, it's time to figure out how to step up and stop blaming people for "not understanding how Disc works." If this 30% puts you within 5-10% of the other healers, you're probably just fighting against boss mechanics.

I run with disc priests who are able to keep up with solid holy paladins, without accounting for their bubbles, so it can be done. You'll never beat a good druid or holy priest in a raid-wide AE fight, but you should be able to hold your own.

There is actually an Updated Guessed Absorbs which counts absorbs and healing into one meter (Heal and Absorb), but if you ever doubt it's accuracy try running a World of Logs with your raid and watch to see how you are progressing.

World of Logs also now keeps track of Healing and damage mitigated by shields.

Personally I like meters, But It's so I can see if I'm not utilizing a spell as much as I probably could be.

Shielding is not healing (my GM hates it that I say this), so it doesn't belong in healing meters. Period.

We don't see interrupted heals as damage done either, so why would damage that never took place be considered healing?

It would have a spot on different meters, but, as was already said, if you're measuring how you're healing through meters, you're most likely doing it wrong.
    Ardoric Sollis Ardodeath. Proud pet collector

Ardoric <Undergeared> Raiding in blues 'cause gear is overrated (8/12 ICC 10 | 3/4 RS 10)

Quote Originally Posted by ardoRic
    You argue that you need gear to compensate stupidity, I argue that you shouldn't take stupid to your raids.

Shielding is not healing (my GM hates it that I say this), so it doesn't belong in healing meters. Period.

We don't see interrupted heals as damage done either, so why would damage that never took place be considered healing?

It would have a spot on different meters, but, as was already said, if you're measuring how you're healing through meters, you're most likely doing it wrong.
    Damage isn't healing, and shouldn't be lumped into the same catagory.

Skada can show multiple windows, and absorbs is an option for data tracking.

But like everyone here said, if you can kill stuff, and everyone isn't dieing, tell whoever it is to STFU. It's not like you healing someone harder is going to make the encounter happen faster (except for one...).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrath
    It's not like you healing someone harder is going to make the encounter happen faster (except for one...).
    /sigh

I so wanna do that encounter on my druid as resto
    Ardoric Sollis Ardodeath. Proud pet collector

Ardoric <Undergeared> Raiding in blues 'cause gear is overrated (8/12 ICC 10 | 3/4 RS 10)

You argue that you need gear to compensate stupidity, I argue that you shouldn't take stupid to your raids.

Having a Discipline Priest as my main-alt, I don't care the least about the meters. As a decent healer you should know that you're doing your job, and don't have to rely on meters.

It's enough that DPS are constantly competing on the DPS meters, really :/

The problem is not Disc and meters. I think I know the root of the problem, but I'd have to get an X-Ray of the skull of the person who annoyed you enough to make this thread to be certain.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyCane

It's enough that DPS are constantly competing on the DPS meters, really :/
    Well, that at least makes sense. DPS are supposed to deal as much damage as possible without dying or endangering the raid. DPS meters are an invaluable tool for judging who is underperforming, an important thing to know if an enrage timer comes into play. Case in point- my guild's only just got Festergut 25 down... with 2 seconds to spare. You better be sure we're looking at the bottom five DPS closely, to see if someone's slacking off. >_>

Well unabsorbed shields are like overhealing.In general disc priests do not do much overhealing (percent values) so I can't think why wouldn't you link both the huge amount of absorbs (so healing+overhealing as a disc priest) and the low overhealing you do.That makes you..... the best healer? Certainly not as meters suck anyway.I mean rly if you let retarded pug leaders influence you because you don't ''perform well'' I mean seriously just ignore them as long as you do your job.

If, at this point in the expansion, raid leaders do not recognize that Disc priests make extensive use of absorbs and perform "poorly" on healing meters, said raid leaders should not be leading/assembling anything more complex than Naxx or VoA. If, in said Naxx or VoA, there are sufficient problems to require the analyzing of healing meters (i.e. wipes), there are more problems than a disc priest being low on the meters, and you should leave the raid.

Get Skada or have your guild start using WoL (I´d recommend at least doing the later option).

I can't imagine this comes up very often... OP, was this set off by a specific instance, or are you on a server where you keep encountering retarded PUGs who don't understand how discipline works?

Quote Originally Posted by Elothie
    Well unabsorbed shields are like overhealing.In general disc priests do not do much overhealing (percent values) so I can't think why wouldn't you link both the huge amount of absorbs (so healing+overhealing as a disc priest) and the low overhealing you do.That makes you..... the best healer? Certainly not as meters suck anyway.I mean rly if you let retarded pug leaders influence you because you don't ''perform well'' I mean seriously just ignore them as long as you do your job.
    A raidleader of this mindset is generally a loudmouth and will make a big stink in trade chat in an attempt to ruin your credibility, so "ignoring" the RL won't work. Get the other healers on your side, people listen to potent meter-topping raid healers.

Quote Originally Posted by jifjosh
    A raidleader of this mindset is generally a loudmouth and will make a big stink in trade chat in an attempt to ruin your credibility, so "ignoring" the RL won't work. Get the other healers on your side, people listen to potent meter-topping raid healers.

Who would take someone badmouthing a Discipline Priest for their position on the meters seriously?

If your in a pug than there isn't much you can do, you are at the whims of the raid leader, whether he be retarded or not.

Get an addon to help you manage combat logging, and upload the log to worldoflogs.com