Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageForumTroll View Post
    Everytime someone mentions LoTR, I think of that scene in Clerks 2, where Randall argues with the LotR nerd that Starwars is better.

For your viewing pleasure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8
    Fuck you. Now i have to go watch that movie. And i'm tired, so ill be lethargic for work tomorrow cause i wanted to watch clerks 2, but I had to watch Clerks first, because thems the rules. Jerk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are real." ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chaztheweird View Post
    Fuck you. Now i have to go watch that movie. And i'm tired, so ill be lethargic for work tomorrow cause i wanted to watch clerks 2, but I had to watch Clerks first, because thems the rules. Jerk.
    OMG! I need to watch those now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Deathwing already exists in another game.
    He's called The Destroyer, he is a dragon, and he tries to kill War.
    Guess from what game:
    http://darksiders.wikia.com/wiki/The_Destroyer

why would u be a fan of lord of the rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    That made me lol, let's see The Hobbit was written in 1937, Lord of the Rings was written in the mid 1950's, I had no idea they had video games back then and that blizzard was a company :O
    Pretty sure he meant that Diablo was released before the Lord of the Rings movies.

Nah, they just have in common the relation with Fire.

And I'm really sorry for Deatwhing, but he can't reach the Balrog's coolness

10+ Year Old Account
    "Wrong wrong wrong wrong, Wrong wrong wrong. You're Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong"
    -Perry Cox

I'm a bit allergic to people talking about "the Balrog" - yeah, in the LotR movies, there was only one, but in the LotR lore as whole they are an entire class of beings.

And as for there being no pictures of the balrog prior to -95 or whatever, that may be true, but there are a number of fairly detailed descriptions of them in a few places in the writings of Tolkien, and they all pretty much boils down to a big (although not as big as in the movie) winged and horned guy made out of shadow and flame. So, the balrog featured in the movies fit the description pretty well apart from being much to big.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    Well the idea of the Balrog did come first, but I'm not sure when the movie interpretation of the Balrog first emerged. You have to remember that no artwork regarding Lord of the Rings was actually created by the author.
    pretty sure he had a few sketch book

Edit : ah yes there you go, great pictures too ^^
    http://www.tolkien-online.com/pictur...r-tolkien.html
    and
    http://www.tolkien.ru/texts/eng/pbjrrt/contents.html

that explain the style they used in lotro ^^
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2010-06-12 at 06:40 PM.

Deleted
    appart from the colors used, they don't really look much alike, so I'd say no ;x

Quote Originally Posted by edarlitrix View Post
    As no one else seemed to have noticed this, I thought I might bring it into view. Many LOtR fans (such as myself) have discovered obvious references in WoW of the said series.

I have no interest in typing the endless list of easter eggs. But I will give you this!

Deathwing = Balrog?

Even a side-by-side comparison to give you the very idea!

No, the deathwing character was created long before LotR was even popular. Deathwing is one of the 5 dragon aspects. Not everything in the game is a reference, Blizzard does have some of their own imagination in their heads, they don't copy everything.
    I'd tell you to get at me, but you smell like shit, so keep your distance, please.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Praiseworthy View Post
    No, the deathwing character was created long before LotR was even popular.
    you just lost all credibility.. god..
    so deathwing date back before 1949?
    lord of the ring and the hobbit was a big hit at this time!

this is the original look of deathwing in war2
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2010-06-12 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but no, there are a LOT of things in WoW that are influenced by LoTR, but guess what, that's because LoTR referenced pretty much everything people consider 'the basics' in modern fantasy. Deal with it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

i dont see any similarity except they are both black and have fire around them

Quote Originally Posted by Praiseworthy View Post
    No, the deathwing character was created long before LotR was even popular.
    =/
    What? Are you suggesting that Lord of the Rings was only popularized by the movies that recently came out? Because the books have been out for about 60 years now...

Balrog was no dragon. He was just a fire beast. Fire beasties and flaming dragons are in a lot of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

This isn't even to mention that the Balrog was a bi-pedal, humanoid creature with massive freaking weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Balrog is shadow.
    Deathwing is flame.
    Movie-Balrog is bollocks.

I'd say Deathwing is inspired by Glaurung if any.
    Glaurung could not fly, so, no.

And the Balrog is both shadow and flame, as described in detail in Lord of the Rings.
    http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/b/balrogs.html
    Last edited by Mithsploit; 2010-06-13 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh1337 View Post
    Blizzard can't make fiery monsters in WoW because people will complain it looks like the Balrog...
    They can do what they want but there's little escaping the influence. Just look at the Balrog pictures posted and compare to, say, the Megademon class in Diablo II. Hell, one of the three types of this monster class is even named 'Balrog'.

Deathwing is obviously Smaug.