Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why Thrall...why?

I'll try my best to not turn this into another "We hate garrosh thread"

I'm really questioning Thrall's motives though.. I mean, I know he has loyalty to Grom Hellscream at all, but why is he soooo willing, even at the sacrifice of the entire horde, to leave Garrosh in command.. an Orc who didn't suffer with the all the other Orcs, learn humility and repentance from their demonic enslavement, and didn't even take part of the founding of their own city. It just sorta seems like he's plopping the entire fate of the horde in the shoulders of someone who isn't even a part of their culture.

I know the obvious real answer is a dues ex machina to force the horde vs. alliance mentality, but we haven't even seen how Thrall is rationalizing this. Although, it is kinda nice to bring his naivety to the forefront as a character fault to kinda faze out his status as a Mary Sue... ^_^;;

Because he has to go save orphans. If he decided to stay, adorable BE children would die.

AND THAT WOULD BE YOUR FAULT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakosa View Post
    Welcome to how the game was always and is supposed to be played. Have fun not being able to be an autistic shit anymore.

I hate Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Combine View Post
    I hate Garrosh.
    Welp, I failed! But I successfully kept the thread on track for ONE WHOLE POST! ^_^

Perhaps he hopes that if he forces Garrosh to actually take responsibility for his people, he will mature into the kind of leader Thrall knows he can be (like his father).

Once he kills a few faction leaders and kicks a few races out of his city, everyone will start to hate him, and he'll realize that he needs to change his thinking. You can't talk to Garrosh about needing to change his ways, he won't listen to anything but steel. What he can hear in the end is the sound of an empty throne room. I think Thrall knows what he's doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well from a designer point of view Garrosh is a better icon for the game cause he elicits so much emotion from players. People get upset with Garrosh, Staghelm, and king poofy hair. How may “I hate Garrosh threads” have we seen?

From a player’s point of view they are bunch of pole smokers we would sooner do with out.

Considering that Garrosh has been following Thrall around like a lost puppy for a few years, it makes me think that Thrall has been grooming him to be warchief much like Ogrim Doomhammer did with Thrall.
    I honestly believe that Garrosh has the passion to be war-chief, but as of now he is not ready. The Cataclysm will force him into this role as Thrall is needed elsewhere.

IMO, it will be kinda like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, he sucked it up for a while, but eventually he grew into the role.
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    so that the story line could progress

thrall held the story back cant have a secondary war story line to invent new bgs with and add more lore if u have thrall trying to be all peaceful when the alliance is attacking ur territory. oh and jaina is a joke so varian is better

If youv seen the leakd info on Vol'Jin's conversation with Garrosh, it mentions a reason for Thrall makeing him warchief.

Cant remember exactly but it was somthing like how Thrall wanted to see if he was going to turn out crazy like his father and the awnser came sooner then expected.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm alliance, and I hate Garrosh. With that said, I hope you won't mind letting me kill him for an achievement. :3
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

10+ Year Old Account
    thrall hasn't much of a choice anyway, becoming the new guardian. and to be honest: it's more important to safe azeroth against the legion than keeping the horde out of problems.
    we WILL have problems, internal and external. but they will be solved, either through garrosh changing minds (like what Lysah said <3) or getting killed/chased away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    we WILL have problems, internal and external. but they will be solved, either through garrosh changing minds (like what Lysah said <3) or getting killed/chased away.
    Due to everyone having this "our way or the highway" attitude, I actually hope Garrosh will continue and do his thing and annoy the heck out of the black/white-minded people.

As much as a story is usually developed with a good ending, I'd actually favour the road paved with a bit of color before the usual happy ending. Garrosh really isn't doing anything wrong in the big perspective; unless of course the Legion storms in and rofl pwns us due to internal struggles, but such a thing would never happen anyways from a gameplay perspective, thus there isn't really a lesson to be taught.
    Garrosh wants to beat the Alliance and take over their resources? Sure, it would make the Horde strong and would technically be a stronger, more united force than the Alliance & the Horde's previous cooperations. Of course, it also has the downside of less variation, but that plays both ways, so it'd be dependent on the invading force. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with roflstomping the Alliance and being the big Empire on Azeroth. What Garrosh represents is politics.

Now, Thrall sees Grom in Garrosh and thus he lets him lead. Of course, this is also a misconception of Grom on Thrall's part. While Garrosh might stir some drama between the two factions, Thrall knows that there are bigger things on the horizon than petty political squabble and lets Garrosh play Warchief as a test of his character, hoping he'll rise up to the task of a warchief and learn from it.

I hope he does learn from it. His father was the second greatest orc ever (next to the legendary Doomhammer of course!), it would be real shameful to disappoint his memory as warchief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilux View Post
    Due to everyone having this "our way or the highway" attitude, I actually hope Garrosh will continue and do his thing and annoy the heck out of the black/white-minded people.

As much as a story is usually developed with a good ending, I'd actually favour the road paved with a bit of color before the usual happy ending. Garrosh really isn't doing anything wrong in the big perspective; unless of course the Legion storms in and rofl pwns us due to internal struggles, but such a thing would never happen anyways from a gameplay perspective, thus there isn't really a lesson to be taught.
    Garrosh wants to beat the Alliance and take over their resources? Sure, it would make the Horde strong and would technically be a stronger, more united force than the Alliance & the Horde's previous cooperations. Of course, it also has the downside of less variation, but that plays both ways, so it'd be dependent on the invading force. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with roflstomping the Alliance and being the big Empire on Azeroth. What Garrosh represents is politics.

Now, Thrall sees Grom in Garrosh and thus he lets him lead. Of course, this is also a misconception of Grom on Thrall's part. While Garrosh might stir some drama between the two factions, Thrall knows that there are bigger things on the horizon than petty political squabble and lets Garrosh play Warchief as a test of his character, hoping he'll rise up to the task of a warchief and learn from it.
    the biggest problem might actually not be the war against the alliance itself, but internal race conflicts (trolls, forsaken and blood elves beeing shunned) and the "strategy" garrosh uses when it comes to..well, anything. which is actually: "i strong, i not need strategy". that's a pretty bad idea when it comes to world wide war.
    Last edited by Sy; 2010-06-29 at 03:32 AM.

thrall hasn't much of a choice anyway, becoming the new guardian.
    NO. Thrall is not going to become the new Guardian. Earthen Ring, maybe. Guardian, no.

As for placing Garrosh in charge - a nation isn't just a leader, it's a group of people. In the comics, we already see a stirring within the Horde over Thrall's politics vs. Garrosh's politics. Many orcs are dissatisfied with Thrall's peaceful methods and long for the days where orcs conquered and took what they wanted. Player feelings have never reflected the characterization of the overall races directly.

Naturally, these are all younger orcs that don't know much about the first two wars and the bloody history behind the romanticized glory days. This is reflected nicely in the discussion between Garrosh and Saurfang at Warsong Hold - it's the separation between a grizzled veteran that is tortured by the atrocities he has committed and an inexperienced upstart that has no idea what he's getting himself into.

So if everyone's itching to fight and are regressing to that, what is Thrall supposed to do? Kick and scream and form a hurricane above Orgrimmar until they say they're sorry? That's not the Thrall way. There's bigger fish to fry, and he has a job to do. If the orcish people want war, it's war they'll get, and they'll probably see the disturbing results of it first-hand.

One can just as easily imagine that Thrall is really just testing Garrosh, to see if he'll set himself up to fail.

The "a nation is a people" argument applies to Theramore if it goes into the war as well. Sure, Jaina's a big ol' flower child...but there's already deserter agitator problems abound in Theramore. Even if you do the quests to fix that, you have to imagine that with an aggressive orc warchief in command, with more Horde attacks than ever before...do you REALLY think her people are going to agree with her? The most wise political decision for her to make in that choice is either resign altogether or protect what's important to her - and if she can't protect Thrall, that means protecting her people.
    Last edited by Grimmer; 2010-06-29 at 03:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    NO. Thrall is not going to become the new Guardian. Earthen Ring, maybe. Guardian, no.
    he's not? my bad

he's not? my bad
    No prob. The misinformation passes down so many times it becomes head-spinningly difficult to get everyone up to speed.

The current Guardian is Med'an, and he's about as plot armored as you can get.

he's not? my bad
    (Yes).
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Guardian_of_Tirisfal

10+ Year Old Account
    didn't know Med'an.. he looks like a nice character though, with blood of three races and powers of three classes

OT: i just hope Garrosh will see how a warchief has to act in order to keep his people save and/or his faction powerful. preferably BEFORE we're all dead :x

I know everyone loves Hellscream and all... but Garrosh really is more like his father than people give him credit for, or rather people give Hellscream too much credit.

Dont forget Hellscream is the one that originally cursed the orcs with demons blood. not only that but he chose to do it AGAIN, if you played Warcraft 3 at all. And more than once in that campaign Thrall stepped in to stop Hellscream from going all out against the alliance. Thrall was Hellscream's attitude check, and if Hellscream had been warchief instead of Thrall, he would have done just what Garrosh is about to do. Both father and son are quite bloodthursty and hate the "puny alliance skum"