Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

The competition of the Genre: how will it effect CAT?

Games like Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR seem to be raging with hype now days.

I wonder what Blizzard has planed to counter them?

What had me nervous this time around compared to the Warhammer days, was Blizzard's release of the Alpha/beta already.

Blizzard tends to steal nice ideas from the competition, and improve them, and add them to the x-pac.

But so far, Blizzard doesnt seem to be doing much of the same old working plan this time around. Blizzard seems to be rushing this X-pac out the door, rather then waiting for the competition to leak more of their top selling ideas/concepts.

Feature wise, I am not excited when it comes to CAT. Many things seem as if Blizzard had to scrap them to meet a deadline. Which is already removing features, from the already small list of "newly interesting features".
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Hopefully. Competition makes the game more fun. If they don't evolve and strip the good ideas from their competition, the game would just become bland and uninteresting.

And, unlike most, I -hope- that Cata is delayed. It really does seem like they're trying to churn this out ASAP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to say I agree, Seen allot of the leaked footage from the guild wars 2 and KOTOR beta's and alpha's & they do look like they may well be allot better then cataclysm.

The only thing that could keep cataclysm on top is the fact that many of the Blizz fans are loyal & when new games come out they tend to be buggy & have allot of glitches.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

How many threads do you make a day?

Cataclysm is effectively WoW2, considering how much is changing and being added. This is, regardless of what has and hasnt thusfar been cancelled, by far the largest expansion wow has seen. I dont know about guild wars because I view the first as a horrible game that warrants no further attention from me, but I'm not really seeing anything they've "stolen" from TOR.

It's worth pointing out that there isn't really any "stealing" gameplay ideas from other games. If you see something another game is doing, and you're able to do it better, you win. Otherwise, you don't. That's just how it works, whoever can take known concepts and make the best of them comes out ahead.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    Have to say I agree, Seen allot of the leaked footage from the guild wars 2 and KOTOR beta's and alpha's & they do look like they may well be allot better then cataclysm.
    Just like Warhammer, Age of Conan, and Aion right? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garam View Post
    Hopefully. Competition makes the game more fun. If they don't evolve and strip the good ideas from their competition, the game would just become bland and uninteresting.

And, unlike most, I -hope- that Cata is delayed. It really does seem like they're trying to churn this out ASAP.
    That's mainly because blizz sold their soul to activision & 2k games, they say it has no effect on the finished product but overall they have had a decline in product quality & rushed allot of the content or not thought about the consequences of class changes.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Blizzard doesnt have to do nothing.WoW is currently number #1 and will continue to be better then both of them unless Blizzard decides to cancel WoW. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    That's mainly because blizz sold their soul to activision & 2k games, they say it has no effect on the finished product but overall they have had a decline in product quality & rushed allot of the content or not thought about the consequences of class changes.
    I'd like to know which orifice you pulled that out from.

What 'content' was rushed?

I'm not terribly concerned. There are other games out there, hopefully they're good and others enjoy them. I don't plan on playing them, but as another poster said competition increases quality and if the past is any indication Blizzard is more than capable of holding its own against any gaming company. People will become excited, flood to new games, find out that they aren't perfect either, whine about how that company doesn't know what it's doing/hates its customers/is going downhill (just like Blizzard), and then as often as not return to WoW.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2010-07-11 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toss101 View Post
    Blizzard doesnt have to do nothing.WoW is currently number #1 and will continue to be better then both of them unless Blizzard decides to cancel WoW. >.>
    Not going to sit here and say "OMG SUCH AND SUCH GAME IS GOING TO KILL WOW!!!!!!111!" like some idiots around here like to do, but what has you so convinced that it's impossible for someone else to come out with something better?
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

swtor>any game ever .. just because ... its star wars

I dont really care about the fate of WoW as long as I can level my goblin through all of the renewed world and 80-85 then im fine.

---------- Post added 2010-07-11 at 04:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Omen321 View Post
    Star wars galaxies failed pretty epicly

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
    I dont really care about the fate of WoW as long as I can level my goblin through all of the renewed world and 80-85 then im fine.

You can blame SOE for that

Quote Originally Posted by Omen321 View Post
    That's actually why I'm actively staying away from it: it's Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Not going to sit here and say "OMG SUCH AND SUCH GAME IS GOING TO KILL WOW!!!!!!111!" like some idiots around here like to do, but what has you so convinced that it's impossible for someone else to come out with something better?
    Someone could make a better game then WoW. I'm just saying everything pretty much failed against WoW and that blizzard just takes part of other mmo's like they might do with GW2. The fact is Blizzard is going pass what other mmo's are doing and creating all new things that has never been done before in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post

HOW DARE YOU SIR! .. SWG was a giant success until SOE got ahold of it and fuck it up

Bioware makes quality games, and the footage from SW:ToR at the moment makes the game seem very promising. I'm not saying SW:ToR will kill WoW but SW:ToR and WoW will be in close competition to be "#1" MMO. I intend to play both WoW and SW:ToR.

SW:TOR may be a small competition, but the sheer size of WoW will prevail.

Knight, I have honestly never seen you make a useful thread.

SW:TOR is a Sci-fi RPG, and will have a totally different feel than WoW. It will have a large fanbase, and I love Bioware, but it's different than WoW. As for Guild Wars 2, I haven't seen anything about it that makes me excited. And if GW1 is any indication, it will be mediocre.

Cataclysm introduces new races, new content, improved difficulty, improved questing and quest flow, improved phasing, and that's just off the top of my head.

---------- Post added 2010-07-11 at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kotov View Post
    Bioware makes quality games, and the footage from SW:ToR at the moment makes the game seem very promising. I'm not saying SW:ToR will kill WoW but SW:ToR and WoW will be in close competition to be "#1" MMO. I intend to play both WoW and SW:ToR.
    SW:TOR is different than WoW, as I said. It's a Sci-Fi universe.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotov View Post
    Eh. Bioware makes good games, but I'm not sure how they'll handle the switchover to the mmo market. People are getting a little bored of the generic "bioware formula" they overuse, and I swear if I buy TOR and the first thing I see upon logging into the game world is my character going through some big horrible event I'm just quitting on the spot.