Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cataclysm Old God

From what I've seen in the BETA the most likely candidate for the Old God is NOT a Cthulhu Mythos creature. It seems to more fit a Dungeons and Dragons God named Tharizdun. He is a God chained by a coalition of deities to prevent the destruction of existence itself. He is the God of Eternal Darkness, Decay, Entropy, Malign Knowledge, Insanity, and Cold. You probably wonder, how is he like the Old Gods other than the fact that he was chained by multiple powerful creatures, well there is also something else you need to look at thats already in game. In a low level quest in Hyjal you manipulate the Ogres into leaving the area by using the Eye. During the short chain quest you read a book which says...
    "In the beginning was shadow eternal.
    Hate blazed forth, and FIRE was born.
    Wounds scabbed, and so begat EARTH
    Cries of anguish birthed howling WIND.
    Wherein the skies wept seas of TEARS.
    we live in the shadow,
    the world we know
    Built of rage, hurt, anguish and sorrow."

Tharizdun is the chained God of Eternal Darkness. He is also the God of Insanity and Malign Knowledge which are both things the other Old Gods are known for. If that wasnt enough he also has extremely close connections to the Primordials (Dungeons and Dragons version of the Elementals). He leads them under the alias of the Elemental Eye. He leads the Elemental Princes, who are empowered Primordials nearly as ancient as time itself, claiming to be the first Primordial. He also is known to manipulate Demons, and other life to his whim whether they are knowingly doing his will or not. Also, nearly all his followers are insane which can be related to then Twilight Cults. As well he also has an avatar whose name many people may recognize. The avatar's name is Shothragot. It is an avatar he made during the Twin Cataclysms which has laid dormant until its time of awakening in which it will look for the 333 shards of the key to his master's prison and free him. Tharizdun is also credited with creating the Abyss, Hell, and all the Demons who live there by corrupting a small porton of the Elemental Planes. Looking at that, wouldn't it make sense if it was he who created the Elemental Planes by doing the opposite of what he did in Dungeons and Dragons? Since the Old Gods are said to have created the Elemental Planes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actualy the Titans created the elementaal plane. And i like the ideaa of a god chained by other lesser gods, and when we off the lesser gods he gets more powerfull

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Actualy the Titans created the elementaal plane. And i like the ideaa of a god chained by other lesser gods, and when we off the lesser gods he gets more powerfull
    That would be really cool, and maybe he could be incognito, and you don't know it's him until he breaks free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

You also have to remember, there are only 2 real deities confirmed in Warcraft that arent the demi-gods. Those are Elune and the Earth Mother. Of course, this might not be the Old God in Cataclysm but a much much bigger one if this is the case of those two having chained him. Of course, he could also not be an Old God at all. He could be something much bigger.
    Last edited by Lolretadin; 2010-07-17 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Typo

15+ Year Old Account
    But assuming elune is the moon, and the eartmother is like the sun or something (i dont know tauren lore), then the thing chained to those two would be....azeroth

But assuming elune is the moon, and the eartmother is like the sun or something (i dont know tauren lore), then the thing chained to those two would be....azeroth
    I think those two forces are too good to be chaining anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Sounds a bit like Azathoth. If my Azeroth=Azathoth hypothesis is correct, this could all fit very nicely. Kill off the old gods, they release the planet/super old god, we fight him as the last boss in a super special awesome RPG ending.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a good idea to completely exclude the possibility of C'thun's return in Cataclysm. On the contrary, given what we've seen it is, from a speculatory point of view, guaranteed.
    "What can be asserted without proof, can be dismissed without proof."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lichfury View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea to completely exclude the possibility of C'thun's return in Cataclysm. On the contrary, given what we've seen it is, from a speculatory point of view, guaranteed.
    Why do you think he will be back?

Deleted
    Seen the Chogall model? Thats Cthun's power and wisdom, joined to the powers of Cho'gall. Cho'gall, is initially, C'thun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not knowing tauren lore you would have been better off guessing the earth mother is the EARTH. An'she is the tauren sun god. http://www.wowwiki.com/An%27she
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    Seen the Chogall model? Thats Cthun's power and wisdom, joined to the powers of Cho'gall. Cho'gall, is initially, C'thun.
    This. But I don't think Cho'gall is entirely C'thun, I mean, I doubt an old god would imbue himself entirely with a two-headed ogre of all things.

The Earthmother is all nature while Elune is the moon. Of course, if there is a monster chained within Azeroth it stands to say, what are the fragments it needs to free its master? Isnt it odd that there is a pentagram over Azeroth at the Old Gods supposed locations? And that the number of points (5) when used to divide by the Gods holy number (333) you get 66.6? It kind of makes me think that the Titans reason for not killing the Old Gods was because there was something much bigger in the molten core of Azeroth which scared the dieties which dwarf the Titans in power were afraid of. And it wouldnt be outlandish to think that the Old Gods were corrupted and warped by him. Seeing as their bodies supposedly streaching throughout all of Azeroth which would, if you took away the rock, look somewhat like a tentacle'd cage.

Deleted
    This. But I don't think Cho'gall is entirely C'thun, I mean, I doubt an old god would imbue himself entirely with a two-headed ogre of all things.
    Well, in terms of lore C'thun is dead, but if the comics are anything to go by, his essence, or mind sort of endured, or his aura, or something, and he sort of gave Cho'gall a hell of a lot of his power, to the point where he started to actually resemble C'thun somewhat. C'thun is still living, but in the body of Cho'gall i would imagine, in some twisted, stange form.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    The Earthmother is all nature while Elune is the moon. Of course, if there is a monster chained within Azeroth it stands to say, what are the fragments it needs to free its master? Isnt it odd that there is a pentagram over Azeroth at the Old Gods supposed locations? And that the number of points (5) when used to divide by the Gods holy number (333) you get 66.6? It kind of makes me think that the Titans reason for not killing the Old Gods was because there was something much bigger in the molten core of Azeroth which scared the dieties which dwarf the Titans in power were afraid of. And it wouldnt be outlandish to think that the Old Gods were corrupted and warped by him. Seeing as their bodies supposedly streaching throughout all of Azeroth which would, if you took away the rock, look somewhat like a tentacle'd cage.
    The pentagram old god diagram is false and fake. Pentagrams need to be straight, not lopsided in order to be a pentagram. Not to mention any such pentagram wouldn't be a pentagram after the sundering since they would have been imprisoned as a pentagram before the sundering. And if the old gods had enough power to form a pentagram post-sundering then we would all be serving them now.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I did forget to add in one more thing about Tharazidun. His appearance. He, currently, has 3 different descriptions of what he looks like, all contradicting the other.

The first is..."a pitch-black, roiling, amorphous form".
    The second is..."a huge, bald, humanoid man with greenish skin, claws, and pointed ears"
    The second, which I think is the most accurate, is..."a huge mottled tentacled being or a vast elemental force with a body of burning magma, radiating steam"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not knowing tauren lore you would have been better off guessing the earth mother is the EARTH. An'she is the tauren sun god. http://www.wowwiki.com/An%27she
    Okay, il admit it, that was facepalmable.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The pentagram old god diagram is false and fake. Pentagrams need to be straight, not lopsided in order to be a pentagram. Not to mention any such pentagram wouldn't be a pentagram after the sundering since they would have been imprisoned as a pentagram before the sundering. And if the old gods had enough power to form a pentagram post-sundering then we would all be serving them now.
    Keep in mind what I said though, what if they are the shards of his prison? There is no meta God, and the Old Gods were just mutated wardens like what happened in Yogg-saron's prison.

15+ Year Old Account
    The pentagram is still lopsided in cataclysm, but i doubt it a lot more-so. I doubt its true, but maybe...we will have to see

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    Well, in terms of lore C'thun is dead
    Old Gods only ever reveal themselves partially. With C'thun, we killed only the eye, with Yogg Saron, again, we only did some partial damage. They retreat, heal themselves, bide their time and re-emerge, perhaps most evident in places such as the Twilight Highlands where there's some odd tentacled being (which seems massive), emerging from the ground, very reminiscent of C'thun.