Ratings for replies?

Hello, I was thinking that it might be interesting to add a -/+ or thumbs down/up for replies to posts. Posts with very high ratings could be highlighted somehow to make them stand out as useful/interesting/fun to read, while useless comments, trolls, flamers, etc. could have their posts down-rated. After enough down-ranks the post could be greyed out or minimized or something like that.

The point isn't for a popularity contest, but to help users sort through walls of replies to find the ones that are generally the most useful ones, and so that we can easily identify and skip posts that suck. (trolls, mean people, dumb people, people who post tiny useless things just to get their post count up, etc)

I think a feature like this would improve the mmo-champion experience!

I like how on wow.com, they have that feature. If you are browsing, you know troll comment for useful. However, this tool would give trolls something to make useful comments greyed.

Would still be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

15+ Year Old Account
    Its a bad idea. It sways peoples view and if someone disagrees, even if its as correct as possible, can disagree and then eventually disagreed so much its disregarded. All in all, its more trouble than its worth. I recall hearing the admins say they would not be adding somthing like that for these very reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    Its a bad idea. It sways peoples view and if someone disagrees, even if its as correct as possible, can disagree and then eventually disagreed so much its disregarded. All in all, its more trouble than its worth. I recall hearing the admins say they would not be adding somthing like that for these very reasons
    It would make people like Rhaz, or trolls like Eltrollo, grey your comment because you disagreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea in concept - I wish it was used like wow.com has the feature.

But trolls are trolls - it'd be bound to backfire.

wowhead has it nicely done, dont see why it cant happen here

Maybe I'm underestimating the troll population... but I would assume that any inappropriate down-rating would be offset by the positive ratings of all the other people who aren't useless trolls.

I've been reading these forums regularly since before WotLK (but didn't make any account), and from my experiences I think the trolls are the minority. They may only appear to be a significant force because they are the "loudest". But in this system, their one vote isn't any "louder" than my one vote. I'd love to be able to scroll quickly through long threads, find the good info, and ignore the trolls. I think it's worth the risk.

It's worth testing at least. If after a few months the moderators think MMO-C is better off without it, then disable the feature.

The idea is sound, though they should add a post requirement before you can. Most troll accounts only last around ~50 posts before they get banned, and people shouldn't be able to make multiple accounts just to continuously downrate a post they don't agree with.

Not likely to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a point to it.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.