Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why do people think DKs can't tank?

OK, so I have a DK tank, 45k health very cappable of off tanking 25man ICC, I'v done it before. Why then do I find so many people who say, the DK's cant tank, or leave Heroics becouse I'm a DK. Whast peoples problem? Is it becasue poeple r pissed cause I started at 50 or what. CAuse I'm a fine tank, I have no agro problems ( execpt a Shadowmourn wielding pally, or a REALLY gear bomkin), I dont take rediculas damage I just dont get it. Sorry about any spelling mistakes, just quickly throwing this post in.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny, 2 years of tanking on a dk, and i've never had anyone throw a hissyfit for me being a DK.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    It's funny, 2 years of tanking on a dk, and i've never had anyone throw a hissyfit for me being a DK.
    WOW lucky, just the other day I hit up a random Heroic, got HoR, and the healer left, but before he did, she said, o god another DK tank, I'm not healing you. LOL

About a week ago there was a LFM 10m ony/3d OS/ ICC need tank and healers, so I wispered the guy, he inv me, and then immediately kicked me, wispering me, I didnt know you we a DK. SOrry but DK's cant tank. I was like WHHHAAAATTTT. SO yea just a few.

Elitist-wanna be pricks who think they know everything about a class when they never tried it.

Just ignore them,as long as you pull your weight you shouldn't feel bad for WHAT you play

10+ Year Old Account
    DK tanks are so bad that I left a group that I was tanking...but seriously, I'm not sure how DK tanks are now that 4.01 has hit, but in the past they've always had a tendency to take big spikes in damage which means healers have to actually pay attention. In other words, its a healer problem, not a DK problem.

Ive been tanking for a while now and have never had any one complain or leave the group just on the basis of me being a DK. Must be just lucky I guess.

No, the problem is the amount of people who role DK's, get tired of the dps queue, and play "So You Think You can Tank"

It isnt that you are bad, but the LFD tool, has pulled the worst of the worst DK's tanks out of the woodwork in the last few months.

You are the victim of the growing number of bad DK's.
    Last edited by boseguy22; 2010-10-21 at 08:46 PM.

Making fun of DKs is the cool thing to do guys, get with the program! Seriously though its so two years old now. Dks are not broken, and they can tank fine.
    I'm going to do some real damage!

people are proly just looking at is DK's have always been great AOE tanks, and now that AOE threat is trash (and most DK's haven't learned how to rock it the right way yet) people are iffy on chancing it with em. poor misinformed bastards don't know what they are missing out on i guess =/

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    DK Tanking has never been a problem for me, I actually love it, and I still like it even with the new rune changes. It took a little bit getting used to, and it's weird actually having to use cooldowns now to survive at some points, but learning how to do all of these things just makes you a better tank.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Exactly the same for me.. I never had any problems

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dernel View Post
    OK, so I have a DK tank, 45k health very cappable of off tanking 25man ICC, I'v done it before. Why then do I find so many people who say, the DK's cant tank, or leave Heroics becouse I'm a DK. Whast peoples problem? Is it becasue poeple r pissed cause I started at 50 or what. CAuse I'm a fine tank, I have no agro problems ( execpt a Shadowmourn wielding pally, or a REALLY gear bomkin), I dont take rediculas damage I just dont get it. Sorry about any spelling mistakes, just quickly throwing this post in.
    I think it's more the fact that you are an inarticulate troll.

15+ Year Old Account
    The irony is that the EJ consensus is that Druids and DKs are now the best tanks at 85 (and probably at 80, though less math has been done).

People kicking you are just straight up mean and stupid.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I don't think there is a hate against the class itself. It's mostly because which people choose to play it. I'm a restoration shaman so I've seen and experienced all different kinds of tanks through my raids and heroic runs. I have a DK tank alt and i've played some warrior tanking while leveling and on my 80 friends char. So I know how tanks are played and how they do at it. Most tanks are doing fine the first time they tank except one class, that stands out. Guess which. It is Death knight's. And i've come to the conclusion that it has to do with the people choosing them. For example people may choose them because they are starting at 55 and takes less time to level, which gives you a fast leveled tank for heroic instant que's. Therefor those people tank because they want instant ques, not because they like tanking. Some other people may choose the class because the "cool factor" and then they perhaps also choose tank over DPS because instant ques. That's my theory. As I said I have tanked and healed DK tanks so I don't find any problems with the class tanking itself. And I know some really good DK tanks and generally very good DK players. So I guess it's because of the people choosing to play them.
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ealar/advanced

Raid Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/pappahealar

Guild Website: http://www.excesse-guild.net/ (Dismissed and seized raiding early 2011, March.)

Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22 View Post
    No, the problem is the amount of people who role DK's, get tired of the dps queue, and play "So You Think You can Tank"

It isnt that you are bad, but the LFD tool, has pulled the worst of the worst DK's tanks out of the woodwork in the last few months.

You are the victim of the growing number of bad DK's.
    QFT, not to mention that the DK class itself is very prone to idiots. Why? Because it takes the least amount of work to level and kids are impatient.

As a class, they're great. They've been great tanks for a long time now (can't recall a time when a DK couldn't handle latest content.) If they started at level 1 like everyone else, you'd definitely have a better reputation (just like BE pallies and Draenai shamans aren't prone to being retards.)

I think the whole Dk creation process is prone to making inexperienced players bad. They are labeled a HERO CLASS which sounds more powerful than normal. You do an awesome quest line which really does very little to train how to use a class that has a pretty complicated resource mechanic. It gives you a ton of new abilities and talent points and no guidance. You come out the Epl with awesome gear looking like you just road out of he** on Arthas' mom and dumps you in hellfire giving you a false sense of your own awesomeness.

Pre 4.01 Dks always had a button to push and they have awesome names like death strike,obliterate,blood strike. This makes people think the are doing so good cause they hitting alot of buttons. And since we all know most buttons hit= best player EVA,they get this false sense of awesomeness.

This plus every tree being viable for tanking didnt help either creating a flood of retards that think " I CANZ TANK JUST SWITCH TO FROSTEYS PRES" caused alot of hate. Anyway my sugestion is to run with guildies if you can. I dont LFG usually unless I have atleast 2 guildies so we cant get kicked and can boot tards easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood Shield Tracker

Simple addon that estimates next DS heal and shows how much of a shield is up now.

I've played a DK since Wrath release. Haven't had anyone complain about DK tanks. Don't know where you're coming from OP.

I've not had anyone bitch about me being a DK tank. Normally if they say anything it in a random it's something like "thank god, a tank with 55k hp". I do notice on my druid DK tanks take larger chunks of damage but that's just part of the playstyle, imo. Any good DK knows how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Primigenia View Post
    DK tanks are so bad that I left a group that I was tanking...but seriously, I'm not sure how DK tanks are now that 4.01 has hit, but in the past they've always had a tendency to take big spikes in damage which means healers have to actually pay attention. In other words, its a healer problem, not a DK problem.
    It's not a healer problem it's a tank problem. If the tank can't handle the damage he or she is taking then he shouldn't be tanking.
    Bubbles: Have a nice day, and go ____ yourself.