Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    Seems the developers of rune factory declared bankruptcy recently. http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/29/rune...or-bankruptcy/

10+ Year Old Account
    Log Horizon - THAT ENDING ISN'T FAIR. Oh my gosh this episode was the best yet. I couldn't stop being giddy. Shiroe is a beast. A devil in human clothing. He's one of the greatest characters to have ever existed.

The great thing about this show is they can't mess it up. It's a single novel like Shin Sekai Yori is with an absolute ending and no continuation. We're getting two cours of clean story and a clean ending.

Log Horizon - That was a fantastic episode and the kids are finally free so no more of that nonsense. A lot of the rules of the game seem counter intuitive to ones that would actually be apart of an mmo like Log Horizon. I realize this is an anime, but still. The being able to essentially trap people in your building for example. A real mmo would never give players the ability to do that. If something like that existed in WoW you'd have people constantly doing it and as a result a crap ton of tickets being opened to GMs. They just wouldn't do that. Though, who knows.

It reminds me of Eve. Not in the sense that the games are similar, but the fact that Eve's creators have a very hands off and laissez faire approach to handling matters in the game. The same could hold true for Log Horizon. I still don't see something like that ever being implemented in a game though. It would just create too many problems. And then there's the leveling. This could just be an issue of me thinking it happens more than it really does, but that samurai dude seems to go out questing/monster killing quite often and he's still only level 15. You would think he would be higher.

I bitch about this anime a lot, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    And then there's the leveling. This could just be an issue of me thinking it happens more than it really does, but that samurai dude seems to go out questing/monster killing quite often and he's still only level 15. You would think he would be higher.

I bitch about this anime a lot, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit lol.
    If you mean Touya, I assume they only let him fight grey mobs so he DOESN'T level. He has to stay below 30 to get the daily EXP pots IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    If you mean Touya, I assume they only let him fight grey mobs so he DOESN'T level. He has to stay below 30 to get the daily EXP pots IIRC.

Why even bring him along then? I understand why they're using the kids for exp pots, but if we're to compare Log Horizon to an mmo like WoW, those kids are essentially useless for combat/making money. It's been a while since I played WoW, but mobs a level 15 could kill weren't dropping much money at all. I guess some money is better than no money.

Deleted
    Why even bring him along then? I understand why they're using the kids for exp pots, but if we're to compare Log Horizon to an mmo like WoW, those kids are essentially useless for combat/making money. It's been a while since I played WoW, but mobs a level 15 could kill weren't dropping much money at all. I guess some money is better than no money.
    Who knows. Maybe just as pack mules. And if I saw it correctly, that schreider guy which Akatsuki so nonchalantly onehitted was only 46, so I presume the rest of guild isn't that highlevel, either

10+ Year Old Account
    Golden Time - Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Knew that was going to happen.

Shit.

- - - Updated - - -

It reminds me of Eve. Not in the sense that the games are similar, but the fact that Eve's creators have a very hands off and laissez faire approach to handling matters in the game. The same could hold true for Log Horizon. I still don't see something like that ever being implemented in a game though. It would just create too many problems. And then there's the leveling. This could just be an issue of me thinking it happens more than it really does, but that samurai dude seems to go out questing/monster killing quite often and he's still only level 15. You would think he would be higher.
    Runescape. In the game you could block people inside buildings by standing at the door and continuously closing the door when it opens, also leveling is slow as hell.

I haven't played it in years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Who knows. Maybe just as pack mules. And if I saw it correctly, that schreider guy which Akatsuki so nonchalantly onehitted was only 46, so I presume the rest of guild isn't that highlevel, either

That would make sense. I remember when leveling up every time an expansion came out I would always accumulate massive amounts of shit lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post

Runescape. In the game you could block people inside buildings by standing at the door and continuously closing the door when it opens, also leveling is slow as hell.

I haven't played it in years though.
    Lol, I remember that. It wasn't like it is in Log Horizon though. It might take you a couple minutes depending on how quick the person was, but you could generally always get out. Man, I miss that game. Haven't played it in like 7 years. Leveling did take an incredibly long time. I think I spent like 2 weeks fletching damn near all day to get it to 99. I made and strung something like 150,000 bows or something. And that was an easy skill to train. That game was so grindy. Still one of my favorite games I've ever played though.

Deleted
    Golden Time - Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Knew that was going to happen.

Shit.
    Damn, now you're making me want to watch it

I post a lot in an anime suggestion subreddit on Reddit and figured I'd post my latest suggestion here. Maybe convince someone to watch the amazingness that is Gankutsuou. I'll just copy/paste it over here.

Gankutsuou - Mystery, Drama, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Thriller

MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/239/Gankutsuou

Synopsis

Gankutsuou is an anime loosely based on the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It tells the story of Albert Morcerf, a young aristocrat who happens to befriend a wealthy nobleman, The Count of Monte Cristo, through a series of bizarre events. Fascinated by the Count's charm, Albert invites him to meet his friends and family, all of whom happen to be part of the upper class society of Paris, France. Unfortunately, little does Albert realize that the Count has ulterior motives in mind.

-MAL

Story

Gankutsuou is an extremely well done and unique re-imagination of the novel The Count of Monte Cristo, a tale of one man's revenge against the people who wronged him. Those familiar with the story this anime is based on will especially enjoy this anime I think. The plot doesn't follow the story exactly and often diverges from the original story line in many places, adding its own unique take on the novel, all the while maintaining the charm and feel of the original story. I'm definitely glad the creators chose to do something different with the story rather than a strict adaptation of the novel. Their take and interpretation on it was an absolute joy to watch and just may have surpassed the original for me.

This anime definitely benefits from being based on such a wonderful work and it's evident in its strong story telling and enthralling plot that never fails to engage the viewer, always having you yearning to know what happens next. As I've seen more and more anime, it has become harder for an anime to really hold my attention and engage me enough to want to watch episode after episode. Gankutsuou managed to achieve that, always enthralling me and making me want to watch the next episode. It does a great job of keeping the viewer interested in the story and is evident for me by the fact I finished the anime in 2 - 3 days lol.

Characters

This anime does pretty much everything near perfectly, and the characters are no exception to this. All of the characters feel well developed, playing their role in the story perfectly and being one of the strongest aspects of the show. While watching the show I never felt as if any of the characters were shallow or didn't belong in the story. They all contributed into making Gankutsuou the amazing anime that it is. For all the amazing characters it has, the real star of this show is the Count.

Perhaps one of my favorite characters I've encountered in anime, the count was such a great character and made this show truly special. The creator's take on the count was such a phenomenal interpretation of his character and surpassed the original for me. If I had to pick one thing about this show I liked the most, it would be his character. His appearance never failed to be all engrossing and a great joy to watch his interactions with other characters. The count is truly a phenomenal character.

Gankutsuou maintains largely all of the important and original characters from the novel, and like the count, the anime does a fantastic job on putting a unique and interesting take on them. All of the characters were fantastic and I enjoyed watching them immensely. The characters were definitely Gankutsuou's strongest aspect.

Setting

Another aspect of the show I enjoyed immensely was Gankutsuou's take on the world. Rather than set in the past and largely in France, Gankutsuou leaps forward in time and takes place in a future setting with scifi elements. The majority of the show still takes place in Paris, France, but it is in a futuristic setting often spanning across several worlds.

For those familiar with the series, the carnival that Albert attends take place not in Rome, but on the moon that has been colonized by Earth for example. Expect to see space travel, wondrous technology, and a surreal world. Being a scifi fan myself, I really enjoyed this aspect of the story and the implementation of technology into the show was an extremely interesting addition to the story that played a wonderful role. All that aside, the world's crafted in this story are absolutely beautiful and breathtaking and always great fun to see the next amazing place this show will take you to.

Art

The art. Oh man, the art. One of the most unique and beautiful art styles I have seen in any anime, the art of Gankutsuou was utterly entrancing and an absolutely amazing addition to the series. Along with the wonderful settings this anime takes place in, the art helps create a truly special world and that pulled me in, completely captivating my attention. It reminds me of the movie Avatar. I enjoyed the movie, but the visuals were so good that I would of been entertained by simply experiencing the world without a story. The same holds true for Gankutsuou for me. The art is so good that even standalone it's simply fantastic. Experiencing the art of this series is reason alone to watch.

Sound

The final perfection of this show's many amazing elements is its music. Never failing to create an ambiance that drew the viewer into the world of Gankutsuou, or music that perfectly captured the moment, Gankutsuou's music was fantastic and really brought together this amazing show.

Thoughts

As I'm sure you can tell by now if you've read everything, I LOVED this show. It's not often I encounter shows as good as this anymore and Gankutsuou completely blew me out of the water. I came in expecting a good show and got something truly special and unique in anime. Every element of this, near perfect on its own, comes together to form this absolutely phenomenal show. I cannot recommend this show enough. It really is one of the best anime there is and has earned its place quite easily on my top 5 anime of all time. I enjoyed every moment of this show and there was never a time when this show failed to entertain and captivate me.

Score: 10/10

Deleted
    The great thing about this show is they can't mess it up. It's a single novel like Shin Sekai Yori is with an absolute ending and no continuation. We're getting two cours of clean story and a clean ending.
    You underestimate anime adaptations. Campione was animated when several more novels were out than the adapted material, so pleeeenty of room for future series/an open ending/anything that's not a shitty idea. Instead an anime original mess of an ending was added anyway. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You underestimate anime adaptations. Campione was animated when several more novels were out than the adapted material, so pleeeenty of room for future series/an open ending/anything that's not a shitty idea. Instead an anime original mess of an ending was added anyway. :P
    Novels are slightly different from Light Novels. LN's are multiple books, all of them incredibly short with just a few chapters each, and super thin like a manga. Campione was an LN that wasn't completed when the anime was done.

Log Horizon sure they could make it anime original, but what's the point when the novel is out for it and the story is presumably completed. They might as well end it like it's supposed to be ended.

Deleted
    Novels are slightly different from Light Novels. LN's are multiple books, all of them incredibly short with just a few chapters each, and super thin like a manga. Campione was an LN that wasn't completed when the anime was done.

Log Horizon sure they could make it anime original, but what's the point when the novel is out for it and the story is presumably completed. They might as well end it like it's supposed to be ended.
    Oh, I know Campione was/is not finished - but they still cut the available material in half and tacked a pile of vomit onto the end. It'd be great if no one thought going anime original with Log Horizon is a good idea, but I would not be very surprised if the book got cut in half and violated instead. >.>

There's a cam rip of the new steins;gate movie on the cat site for those interested. I don't know if it's a good one or not though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Monogatari - Another awesome episode. Kaiki and Nadeko's conversation being the best part. Really interesting to see Nadeko after her transformation. This might end up being my second favourite arc of the season. I know how it ends (not exact details, but enough for it to be considered a spoiler), but I'm interested in seeing the development up until that point.

This episode also had alot of good reaction images. Kaiki's facial expressions are perfect.

There's a cam rip of the new steins;gate movie on the cat site for those interested. I don't know if it's a good one or not though.
    I am just now watching some of it it's ok but not something I would watch. Id rather wait for it to be in better quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of wish rips didn't exist. It's bad enough waiting for the movie's BD to come out months after, but having it come out half way in the form of a low quality cam is terrible. It splits the fanbase into those that'll deal with the quality and those that won't and ends up killing discussion on the movie that could have happened.

I'd agree to an extent. You definitely wont ever catch me watching a cam rip. Don't know why anyone would want to ruin the experience like that. I'm an impatient person, but even I'll wait for the BDs. There's already a discussion thread for it on /r/anime. Got me all excited thinking the BDs had been subbed and was super disappointed when I realized it was just a crappy cam rip.

- - - Updated - - -

What should I watch next? Gankutsuou has left me on such an anime high that I need something amazing. Can't really decide. I was thinking Berserk. I know I'd like it, but I'm not really in the mood for that kind of show. Gah, why'd I have to binge Gankutstuou last night. I wish it never ended!

What should I watch next. Gankutsuou has left me on such an anime high that I need something amazing. Can't really decide. I was thinking Berserk. I know I'd like it, but I'm not really in the mood for that kind of show. Gah, why'd I have to binge Gankutstuou last night. I wish it never ended!
    What kind of show are you thinking of?

On a side note I started Ghost Hound and I'm debating whether I'll finish it. I started it as something that'd be a little out of my comfort zone, as I'm a complete lightweight when it comes psychological/suspense and figured since it got mentioned recently and was on Hulu, why not? The problem is that as it was almost getting a bit creepy it completely fell off the deep end when they started soul traveling and look like a bunch of translucent baby Megaminds. I just couldn't take that seriously in the slightest and ruined any atmosphere the show had going for it.

The one thing that's kept me going a little are the neuroscience references. That happens to be an area of interest of mine, and it's evident that somebody in the staff has done a basic course on the subject. At the same time it's a bit of a jarring since the show is inherently supernatural and they treat the neuroscience as something of a sideshow, as clearly not what's going on. I would love more than anything for the plot to turn and show that the kids are in fact a bunch of neurological cases and that this has been happening in their heads, particularly because I find it ironic that the reality of neuroscience is far stranger than anything we dream up in our shows.

And this is where I'll resist the impulse to go off on a neuroscience-brain stimulation-NDE discussion...at least until I finish the show or something else that gives me an excuse to do so. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    What kind of show are you thinking of?
    Honestly, no idea. I want something a bit more serious like Gankutsuou was, but not too serious. But then I don't want to discount light hearted shows either lol. I am leaning more towards a serious show though. Not something too dark and not a psychological show. I enjoy them but that's not what I'm looking for right now. I'm going to watch a couple episodes of Berserk and Gunslinger Girl and probably decide between those two. Though I'm open to suggestions regardless of the type of show it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    On a side note I started Ghost Hound and I'm debating whether I'll finish it.
    I recently finished Ghost Hound and loved it. I watched it over a 1 - 2 month period and I think the show really lended itself well to that slow pace of watching it. I don't know what episode you're on, but I felt the show got considerably better as it progressed. I don't really want to spoil anything, but I'll just say their form in the hidden realm improves and leave it at that.

And a note on the neuroscience aspect that you mentioned. It's probably not quite at the level you're wanting, but later in the show much more of an emphasis is placed on exploring that aspect and it takes on a larger role than it initially did in the show.