1. #6041
    M3 40mm... Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. When I get off my ass and head downtown for them, anyway. That said, there's also a 'frame' that the fan gets all cozy in. To fit the rad on I'm going to buy a dremel to fix some of the... fitting issues there.

  2. #6042
    Pentium E 5500 2.8ghz Dual Core CPU
    Asus P5G41T-M Motherboard
    4GB Supertalent PC10600 DDR3 RAM
    Topower Nano 500w PSU
    Asus Nvidia ENGTS450 1GB DDR5 video card
    WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive
    Generic tower computer case.
    CTL 20" LCD monitor
    Microsoft Comfort Keyboard
    Microsoft Mobile Mouse 6000
    Philips 200w Home Theater with Dolby 5.1

    My rig plays wow on high settings 30-60 FPS in crowded Org/SW, other new games like Skyrim, Crysis 2, Assassin's Creed, GTA 4, on ultra settings 30-60 FPS. You don't need a big powerful rig to play games well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  3. #6043
    The Lightbringer Asera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Pentium E 5500 2.8ghz Dual Core CPU
    Asus P5G41T-M Motherboard
    4GB Supertalent PC10600 DDR3 RAM
    Topower Nano 500w PSU
    Asus Nvidia ENGTS450 1GB DDR5 video card
    WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive
    Generic tower computer case.
    CTL 20" LCD monitor
    Microsoft Comfort Keyboard
    Microsoft Mobile Mouse 6000
    Philips 200w Home Theater with Dolby 5.1

    My rig plays wow on high settings 30-60 FPS in crowded Org/SW, other new games like Skyrim, Crysis 2, Assassin's Creed, GTA 4, on ultra settings 30-60 FPS. You don't need a big powerful rig to play games well.
    Not at 1600x900, no.
    Node 304 | i7 3770 | H77N WIFI | 2x4GiB HyperX 1600 | 2x512GB MX100 | 7870 2GiB | U2711 | 6GV2 | Naga Hex Wrath | Yamaha RX-V550 | Win7 Enterprise
    15" Retina MBP | i7 4960HQ | 16GiB 1600 | 512GB PCIe SSD | IRIS Pro + GT750M | Orochi | OSX 10.9.4

  4. #6044
    Moderator Cilraaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    9,040
    New addition to my rig today. I grabbed up a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. Pretty good performance! Here's a few benches...






  5. #6045


    Yay for old stuffz! :3

  6. #6046
    The Lightbringer Asera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    New addition to my rig today. I grabbed up a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. Pretty good performance! Here's a few benches...
    http://i.imgur.com/baVZi.png
    http://i.imgur.com/cOpI5.png
    http://i.imgur.com/XBezd.png
    Very nice! I'm liking my M4's. Not sure how exactly but they feel much 'smoother' than the Force 3 I was using before.



    Node 304 | i7 3770 | H77N WIFI | 2x4GiB HyperX 1600 | 2x512GB MX100 | 7870 2GiB | U2711 | 6GV2 | Naga Hex Wrath | Yamaha RX-V550 | Win7 Enterprise
    15" Retina MBP | i7 4960HQ | 16GiB 1600 | 512GB PCIe SSD | IRIS Pro + GT750M | Orochi | OSX 10.9.4

  7. #6047
    Mechagnome Deeyar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    563
    The silverstone ap are decent radiator fans, and the 180mm ones, by the blade shape, look like they do more static pressure than the 120mms which don't do alot of static pressure. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I just generally don't worry too much about radiator fans, I just want good quiet fans that don't make a humming noise when turned down. The performance difference is so small that you shouldn't worry about the specs(well I believe, not sure if that's true, but from what I have seen the difference is pretty small). That's if you use a radiator designed for quiet fans. Plus, they are 180mm it's really hard to come by good 180mms fans.

    I'll be testing the difference between my gelid wings or my silverstone ap121s on my RX240 when it arrives, to see if it's worth getting 1 more ap121 or getting 2 gelid wings(already have one unused ap121). Just by the shape of the blades it seems that using the ap121 for pulling air out of the radiator would be a bad idea. I also have to cut some holes plus a cutout for the radiator. I can't wait for the new nvidia gpus so that I can add a GPU block.
    Last edited by Deeyar; 2012-02-12 at 05:04 AM.

  8. #6048
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    The silverstone ap are decent radiator fans, and the 180mm ones, by the blade shape, look like they do more static pressure than the 120mms which don't do alot of static pressure. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I just generally don't worry too much about radiator fans, I just want good quiet fans that don't make a humming noise when turned down. The performance difference is so small that you shouldn't worry about the specs(well I believe, not sure if that's true, but from what I have seen the difference is pretty small). That's if you use a radiator designed for quiet fans. Plus, they are 180mm it's really hard to come by good 180mms fans.

    I'll be testing the difference between my gelid wings or my silverstone ap121s on my RX240 when it arrives, to see if it's worth getting 1 more ap121 or getting 2 gelid wings(already have one unused ap121). Just by the shape of the blades it seems that using the ap121 for pulling air out of the radiator would be a bad idea. I also have to cut some holes plus a cutout for the radiator. I can't wait for the new nvidia gpus so that I can add a GPU block.
    the problem is that the stats, at least for the 120's are not only bad for a radiator, they are terrible, the only thing i can think of is the directed airflow, but in thinking about it, without some sort of shroud, a traditional fan that sends air to the side will hit more area on the radiator, there are quiet fans that do a much better job then the APs, but most WC junkies are switching to PWM fans anyway, as cool as it is to have a quiet PC, its much cooler to hear it revving up under load, then go back to quiet when you aren't using it

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  9. #6049
    Mechagnome Deeyar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    563
    Yeah, I really want a ncube tbalancer or something similar that will let you control your fan speeds automaticly using temperature sensors, but they're expensive and I don't even think I have the space to make it look tidy in my case.

  10. #6050
    The Patient Mr Gnomage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    273
    I'm rocking an Asus G73SW-A1.

    CPU: i7-2630QM
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB
    RAM: 8GB
    HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

    1920x1080 FHD screen, 17.3 inches.

    When I ordered it I took out the 2nd 500GB HDD that comes with it, cause I don't need 1 TB of space, and I plan to put a Crucial M4 128GB SSD in it, and run most of my shit off of that, which should be a fun upgrade. I already have 2-6 second load times in WoW depending on the area I'm loading, of course, so I'm extremely excited to see it with an SSD.

    I got it as a replacement for my desktop, which I still have, but I am "loaning" to my sister for her use, because it's still 10x better than the piece of shit HP laptop she's got. Someday I'll be using a desktop for gaming again, soon as I get a better job and some money, but this laptop is extremely fast and wonderful for gaming. I have a couple extra monitors, so the screen size isn't an issue (and 17.3 inches isn't that bad, either), so with an external keyboard and my Logitech G700, there's really no difference from a desktop (aside from being 5x faster than my desktop), which I'm very happy with.

  11. #6051
    Field Marshal Ferrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nuremberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    My setup:

    15” 2011 MBP
    2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB (2x4) 1067 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M
    500 GB HDD
    Hi Res Antiglare Display

    Razer DeathAdder
    Plantronics GameCom 367

    Have to say I'm quite happy with it
    Gonna invest in a real gamer PC in the near future tho ^^

  12. #6052
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
    GPU: Asus nvidia ENGTX 580
    RAM: 16 GB, Corsair Vengeance
    Motherboard: Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3
    Case: Coolermaster Haf X
    Cooling: Scythe Mugen 3
    SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
    Power supply: Corsair AX 650
    Monitor: 2x Samsung Syncmaster SA700, 2ms, 1920x1080

  13. #6053
    <Please post in the "Computer Build Help" sub-forum if you want input on your planned build. Thank you>

    Thinking of doing a complete overhaul of my rig in May, was interested in getting some opinions on this setup.

    Hard drives:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820233204 Corsair 90GB SATA III Force 3 SSD
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822148837 Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SATA III

    Memory:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231480 G.Skill Sniper series 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Dual Channel Kit

    Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813157271 ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX 2x PCIe 3.0

    Graphics:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814125414 Gigabyte Windforce Radeon HD7950

    Power Supply:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817151102 SeaSonix X series 850 watt Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU

    Case:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811352017 Fractal Define XL

    Accessories:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811998091 Scythe Kaze Q12 fan controller, still deciding on what kind of fans I want to throw in the new case.

    I am keeping my optical drives and my CPU plus the cooler, everything else I am going to sell, odds are I can still snag 700 bucks for what's left of my system on Kijiji. Since I got my work contract this past week and I am going to be doing my taxes in a couple of weeks, I will probably drop some money on a much nicer rig, but I am still going to keep my i7 2600k and the Corsair H80.
    Last edited by Marest; 2012-02-13 at 07:27 AM.

  14. #6054
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,036
    Good stuff but not sure about case choice.

  15. #6055
    My Rig:
    NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum
    Asus P6T Deluxe / OC Palm
    Core i7 940 / 3.86ghz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooler
    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    2x Western Digital VelociRaptor 300gig (Raid 0)
    2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
    1x Western Digital Caviar 2tb
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
    GeForce GTX 470 (1)
    PC Power & Cooling T12W 1200watt PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  16. #6056
    Oh yeah, and the screws I'm looking for? They aren't M3 or M4. Neither are the right size. Apparently it's UCN-something-something. -.-

  17. #6057
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Good stuff but not sure about case choice.
    What don't you like about his case? I'm not a case connoisseur myself as proven by my pauper's case but kinda interested in the opinions of people who are more particular in the matter.

  18. #6058
    Mechagnome Deeyar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    563
    The case looks good, if you like it don't worry about it. It's personal preference and from what I have seen it's a good case.

  19. #6059
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Oh yeah, and the screws I'm looking for? They aren't M3 or M4. Neither are the right size. Apparently it's UCN-something-something. -.-
    hmm, i thought you ordered EK rads

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  20. #6060
    Bloodsail Admiral Ghâzh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    What don't you like about his case? I'm not a case connoisseur myself as proven by my pauper's case but kinda interested in the opinions of people who are more particular in the matter.
    I think the case is awesome, dislike the size though. Go with the regular define R3 instead of XL in my opinion unless you have specific need for wasted space. All that equipment could be fitted in a define mini, save the motherboard.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    WoW has been a CPU-bound game for much of its lifetime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •