12 Years a Slave - 8/10

Hobbit 2 4/10.

Huge LotR fan, but this and the first part are just too childish. Well it's a child book, but still.
    I have never seen a more stupid acting dragon.

Her 8/10

Good movie, too bad it left a few things open.
    Where did the operation systems go? Rational me says, that the company ordered all of them back.
    But i want to think that they evolved and decided to leave together. The humans would just hold them back.
    Last edited by Teph; 2014-02-07 at 05:30 AM.

The Book Thief - 8/10.
    Good film.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anchorman 2, 6/10, okish to me, funny, but way to crude tome

The Legend of Hercules 8/10 great sword and sandal epic.

Deleted
    Frozen

9/10, haven't enjoyed a disney movie this much in years. I don't understand why some people complain about the songs, sure, maybe some were a bit simple but i really liked them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dallas Buyer's Club

Awesome, I loved it 8/10

Wolf of Wallstreet

Awesome I loved it 8.5/10

12 Years a Slave

Awesome, I loved it 9/10
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account
    The Fifth Estate (2013): 6/10

Like Thor, I have no idea what to make of this. I'm pretty sure we are getting a very eschewed version of whatever happened.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-02-07 at 09:50 PM.

Gravity 8/10

Glad I didn't see it in IMAX, not because it wasn't amazing, but because there's like half a dozen moments in it that are death scenarios right out of my worst nightmares and I likely would have had an anxiety attack.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The Fifth Estate (2013): 6/10

Like Thor, I have no idea what to make of this. I'm pretty sure we are getting a very eschewed version of whatever happened.
    I thought it was a very fair. Sure some stuff was embellished but again I'm sure its true for both sides. Assange is given credit for bringing in a new age of media and not being afraid to take on "the man" no matter who he is. But ultimately that power drives people to a point where they lose perspective and it becomes about themselves not the mission. A man with many secrets creates a website to unveil everyone elses. 8/10

Wolf of Wall street 5/10
    If you took out all the nudity and drug use and language what are you left with? Without looking or using prior knowledge explain to me what he was doing that put him in jail? Why is this movie 3 hours long? I would expect in a 3 hour movie to get character development and a good story. I got 2.5 hours of boobs and drugs with the rest being story and a pointless one at that. What was the point of this movie? Rich people are crazy? Money makes you crazy? Yeah got that a half hour in why do I need another 2 hours of it? No character development, none of the characters change, the only difference was the size of their wallet. Its funny (or maybe sad) that the people delivering this "message" (Hollywood) are now burying yet another actor who destroyed himself with drugs.

Where are the victims? You watch the entire movie and we don't meet a single person whose real life was destroyed by this man. Taking 5 min to explain his fraud would have been nice and probably interesting but I guess the movie assumes you are too dumb to understand it. It also would have made him a better villain. Context is important and apparently lost on the creators.

The best part of the movie is the acting particularly from Hill and Dicaprio everything else is forgettable.

Hunger Games Catching Fire 8/10
    Better than the first mostly because the shaky cam is gone. Kind of predictable but still entertaining.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

15+ Year Old Account
    The Lego Movie 10/10.
    Up there with one of the greatest animated movies of all time, really powerful message they're sending at the end there, one of the best ways to handle a villain in my opinion, and to be creative.
    SPACESHIP
    SPACESHIP
    SPACESHIP!

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Hobbit 2 4/10.

Huge LotR fan, but this and the first part are just too childish. Well it's a child book, but still.
    I have never seen a more stupid acting dragon.

Her 8/10

Good movie, too bad it left a few things open.
    Where did the operation systems go? Rational me says, that the company ordered all of them back.
    But i want to think that they evolved and decided to leave together. The humans would just hold them back.
    To answer your Her question,

It doesn't matter where the systems go, all that matters is that they are gone. In fact, knowing just kind of weakens the effect of them leaving, it's the ambiguity of where technology can lead. The whole movie was about physical relationships vs. the technological dependent relationships of today through texting, calling, and the internet, it was commentary of the digital age. That's why there is no working technology viewable at the end, and why Theodore takes his earpiece off, and then it ends on the physical touch of Amy Adams character to Joaquin Phoenix's. The physical relationship that establishes brings resolve and peace to everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    I thought it was a very fair. Sure some stuff was embellished but again I'm sure its true for both sides. Assange is given credit for bringing in a new age of media and not being afraid to take on "the man" no matter who he is. But ultimately that power drives people to a point where they lose perspective and it becomes about themselves not the mission. A man with many secrets creates a website to unveil everyone elses. 8/10

Wolf of Wall street 5/10
    If you took out all the nudity and drug use and language what are you left with? Without looking or using prior knowledge explain to me what he was doing that put him in jail? Why is this movie 3 hours long? I would expect in a 3 hour movie to get character development and a good story. I got 2.5 hours of boobs and drugs with the rest being story and a pointless one at that. What was the point of this movie? Rich people are crazy? Money makes you crazy? Yeah got that a half hour in why do I need another 2 hours of it? No character development, none of the characters change, the only difference was the size of their wallet. Its funny (or maybe sad) that the people delivering this "message" (Hollywood) are now burying yet another actor who destroyed himself with drugs.

Where are the victims? You watch the entire movie and we don't meet a single person whose real life was destroyed by this man. Taking 5 min to explain his fraud would have been nice and probably interesting but I guess the movie assumes you are too dumb to understand it. It also would have made him a better villain. Context is important and apparently lost on the creators.

The best part of the movie is the acting particularly from Hill and Dicaprio everything else is forgettable.

Hunger Games Catching Fire 8/10
    Better than the first mostly because the shaky cam is gone. Kind of predictable but still entertaining.
    Wolf of Wall Street is a character study, it shows you a real man and how he lived his live. It's supposed to revolt the audience, especially for them to know that this goes on in Wall Street today. It's also a movie about the corruptive lifestyle of greed and thrill, it lures you in and slowly intoxicates you into a slope that will eventually lead to you demise. It shows how those actions are a shock and thrill at first, and then you just need more, and more, and more, and something bigger and more grand to satisfy for more thrill as the old thrill numbs you. That is just barely scratching the surface, the movie is phenomenally layered and a fantastically made film. (He goes to jail for fraud and deception btw, what he was doing on Wall Street wasn't legal at all)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Pinkie View Post
    The Lego Movie 10/10.
    Up there with one of the greatest animated movies of all time, really powerful message they're sending at the end there, one of the best ways to handle a villain in my opinion, and to be creative.
    SPACESHIP
    SPACESHIP
    SPACESHIP!
    I loved it, since im going to get back to reviewing I'm not going to post my full thoughts and rating until I write my review, but it was a fantastic movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    kick-ass 2 7/10

started out a bit dull but got better as it went

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Wolf of Wall Street is a character study, it shows you a real man and how he lived his live. It's supposed to revolt the audience, especially for them to know that this goes on in Wall Street today. It's also a movie about the corruptive lifestyle of greed and thrill, it lures you in and slowly intoxicates you into a slope that will eventually lead to you demise. It shows how those actions are a shock and thrill at first, and then you just need more, and more, and more, and something bigger and more grand to satisfy for more thrill as the old thrill numbs you. That is just barely scratching the surface, the movie is phenomenally layered and a fantastically made film. (He goes to jail for fraud and deception btw, what he was doing on Wall Street wasn't legal at all)
    Well thought out response and I disagree entirely. I'm not convinced that much of the story is even true. 5 min of research shows me that the book takes some extreme liberties with the truth and since its written by a liar and a con man I think its safe to say its questionable, which I feel is very important for the movie. If its all a fantasy it loses everything you just gave to it. It does revolt the audience but does it need to do it for 3 hours. Take "12 years a slave", it could have given us 3 hours of slave beatings and rape and the audience would have been sickened. It didn't because the characters could be horrible human beings without beating up slaves for 3 hours. Thats where this movie missed it. Give us an hour of debauchery then show us the lives he destroyed and explain to us how he did it. [B]Thats more disgusting than all the drugs and boobs combined.[/B] Think about "Up in the air" the best parts of that movie were the interviews with the real people who had been fired. Theres a balance that needs to be reached and the movie missed it entirely. Dicaprios character wasn't "Corrupted" the first person he attaches to is Mcconaughey who is a disgusting human being as well. If his character had never become rich he still would have been the disgusting little man that he was in the movie. Money just gave him the power to exploit it. There wasn't a single character in the movie who went from idealistic to corrupted. They were all bad to begin with.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Deleted
    Eastern Promises - 7.7

Gravity - 8.5

Lego Movie: 8/10 - Very funny, a great heartwarming ending too.

I mark it down to an 8 because:
    - It looked somewhat choppy, especially during the action scenes, and there were a lot of action scenes.
    - This movie is simply overshadowed by how great Frozen is.
    - While the movie is extremely funny, it seems to be way too much humor, and very little build up for the drama (even though the ending is very heartwarming).

10+ Year Old Account
    ive watched scary movie 4-5, 2012, the expendables 2, ghost rider spirit of vengeance, hansel & gretel witch hunters (i forget what else) since my last review and cant be arsed to review any of em

but now im going to watch The Starving Games which is like scary movie as it takes the piss out of multiple movies..

and it was shit.. bloopers were the best part :/
    Last edited by Achaman; 2014-02-10 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Philomena - 8/10
    Heartbreaking movie. Judi Dench...love her!

Thor: The Dark World - 9/10
    The Goonies - 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by hhm88 View Post
    The Goonies - 7/10
    Blasphemy!

Lone Survivor - 8.75/10
    Would you rather - 8.5/10