10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Never seen a perfect 10. Because to me to be perfect it would have to be loved by all. It would have to be without error. It would have to be an amazing story. Amazing effects. Amazing sound. Amazing music.

This pretty much means a 10 is impossible for me. Even more so in internet culture when it is just as common for poeple to see others like it so they just argue to dislike it just to be "that guy". A 7 and 8 are top tier movies. Maybe 2 or 3 ever got to or close to a 9.
    I don't know, I just give 10/10 to movies which I found nearly perfect in their presentation, in which I wouldn't change much, if anything, if I could. For example, Life of David Gale is a solid 10/10 movie from my perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Star Wars Force Awakens

8.5/10

A fantastic return to form for the old franchise. Filmed in a new style it sets itself apart from the rest of the saga while still maintaining the same aesthetic and feel of the original trilogy. Harrison Ford Nails it as Han Solo and makes a very convincing return. The new central villain is much more believable than the very cartoony feel of the prequel trilogy, Easily my personal favourite Sith since Darth Vader himself.

Rated down slightly due to some predictable plot points, Some glaring comparisons to IV and some questionable camera work during the lightsaber finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Never seen a perfect 10. Because to me to be perfect it would have to be loved by all. It would have to be without error. It would have to be an amazing story. Amazing effects. Amazing sound. Amazing music.

This pretty much means a 10 is impossible for me. Even more so in internet culture when it is just as common for poeple to see others like it so they just argue to dislike it just to be "that guy". A 7 and 8 are top tier movies. Maybe 2 or 3 ever got to or close to a 9.
    I don't think ratings should be based on subjective perceptions of how close the movies are to perfection.

• The Revenant - 7/10
    • The Martian - 9/10
    • Star Wars The Force Awakens - 9/10

Star Wars Episode 7 - 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't think ratings should be based on subjective perceptions of how close the movies are to perfection.
    I agree. One is not looking for the "perfect" film, book, painting, et cetera. Ratings reflect the execution and effectiveness of the art relative to the audience (you).

The idea of a perfect album or film is nonsensical. What does one do when they find it; if it is indeed perfect, do you stop watching movies or reading books? It's a laughable notion born of juvenile understanding.

Star wars force awakens hmmm lets see i'll give it 8/10 best scene of the movie when kylo-ren gets pissed and 2 stormtroopers walk outside the room while he destroys it and they do a full 180 degree turn and move away.

Star Wars : The Force Awakens - (5.5/10)

Where to start....

1. The story is almost a complete rehash of A New Hope.

"A young jedi who doesn't know their origins is comes from a lowly, backwater desert planet. The young jedi discovers a droid that contains vital intelligence to the resistance of an evil, oppressive galactic foe. The young jedi then embarks on an epic adventure with the help of their friends to deliver this message. Along the way they witness the destruction of the rebel planet and rally on a daring suicide mission to blow up this world destroying weapon. The protagonist who is ultimately uninspired by this conflict is renewed in purpose after witnessing their mentor being struct down by an evil Sith Lord."

They were obviously way too scared to take any risks and made something completely unoriginal as a product.

2. Way too much fan service.

I feel like half of the script of this movie was fan service. Especially the dialogue from Han. I understand some people probably loved the reference from the Kessel Run and to the trash compactor, but I felt it was too forced. It took away from The Force Awaken having its own memorable dialogue and instead relied way too heavily on people's nostalgia of the originals.

3. Rey.

Seems to really undermine the other two trilogies when Anakin and Luke had to under intense training to discover their powers, while Rey can stand toe-to-toe with a skilled Sith without any effort.

4. Starkiller Base.

Not only was it unnecessary to rehash the Death Star concept yet again, but having it eat an entire Star was just ridiculous and cheesy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    The Force Awakens 9/10

Nothings perfect, but it delivered everything it should and could have been. Star Wars is back.

Now if only there was a good star wars game to play...
    Wut... there are fuck loads of good Star Wars games... go play KotOR for starters..

- - - Updated - - -

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 8.5/10
    Mad Max: Fury Road (2nd viewing)- 8.5/10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

Where to start....

"A young jedi who doesn't know their origins is comes from a lowly, backwater desert planet. The young jedi discovers a droid that contains vital intelligence to the resistance of an evil, oppressive galactic foe. The young jedi then embarks on an epic adventure with the help of their friends to deliver this message. Along the way they witness the destruction of the rebel planet and rally on a daring suicide mission to blow up this world destroying weapon. The protagonist who is ultimately uninspired by this conflict is renewed in purpose after witnessing their mentor being struct down by an evil Sith Lord."

They were obviously way too scared to take any risks and made something completely unoriginal as a product.

I feel like half of the script of this movie was fan service. Especially the dialogue from Han. I understand some people probably loved the reference from the Kessel Run and to the trash compactor, but I felt it was too forced. It took away from The Force Awaken having its own memorable dialogue and instead relied way too heavily on people's nostalgia of the originals.

3. Rey.

Seems to really undermine the other two trilogies when Anakin and Luke had to under intense training to discover their powers, while Rey can stand toe-to-toe with a skilled Sith without any effort.

4. Starkiller Base.

Not only was it unnecessary to rehash the Death Star concept yet again, but having it eat an entire Star was just ridiculous and cheesy.
    I agree with this criticism. I didn't find the scenes with Han that bad, but the scene where Rey "convinced" the Stormtrooper to let her go felt like a way too forced rehash. Same with the "Super Death Star".
    My biggest issue, though, was Kylo Ren: The main villain of the film was (again) a whiny kid / young adult who can't control his shit. That this wasn't really the best way to go should have been made clear by some of the critics of the prequels. Somehow I couldn't take the Dark Side really serious, when he's the one representing it in the film.

Still, I enjoyed watching the movie. Some of the references to the old movie were quite well done and didn't feel that forced. The story was ok, even if it copied from 4. I also can't really echo the people who say the acting was bad. Though I didn't watch the movie in english (went to the cinema with my uncle who doesn't speak it), and voice acting in german is almost always quite bad.

I'd give it a solid 7/10. And now, waiting for two more years.

Force Awakens- 7/10

Han and Chewie were the best parts of the film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

Where to start....

3. Rey.

4. Starkiller Base.

Star Wars 7 - 6/10
    All the film was more like an introduction to a new trilogy.
    Yes, it's a rehash, yes there's a lot of reference, and yes the Starkiller eat a sun, but I don't see any of those being a problem. Rey is a very good character and she's fighting a badly injured Sith.

My main problem outside of the minimal plot, is some of the characters.
    Finn, had the potential to be interesting, at the moment he's not...
    Kylo Ren is also disappointing. I could have seen a better suit design, even though the helm was not that bad. Yes it matters.
    The Supreme Lord Snoke is basically Voldemort and if it's his true form then it's disappointing also. None of the villain were scary. That's a simple yet major flaw. Darth Vader was scary, he had an evil presence.
    The Han Solo thing at the end was disappointing. Having you hating a villain is really not the good way to go.

The plot is also a problem to me, maybe the movie is too short. We don't learn as much as we would like to.The film should have shown more of why some characters act this way, what's their purpose. The starkiller was revealed and ceased to exist as it never existed. The war at the end could have been more exciting, then again, maybe the film was too short to depict all this. It felt more like a light introduction rather than a huge movie, which might be the film intended purpose.

Overall it was a good introduction, the main thing remain to be seen.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2015-12-27 at 06:05 PM.

Captain America - Winter Soldier = 8/10. One of the most entertaining, 'turn your brain off' sort of superhero movies I've seen in a very long time. I'll give The Avengers the same score.

Kingsmen: The Secret Service = 6.5/10. Part comedy, part action flick, but I wish it would have leaned a bit more towards comedy, given the absurd premise. The fight scenes were well done, but Jackson was the completely wrong choice for the bad guy in this one.

Raging Bull 10/10.
    There is not much to say that hasn't been written in the last 35 years. An unquestionable masterpiece.

I seen the movie about six times now and still it deeply effects my sensibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens (2015): 8.5/10

Despite the obvious shortcomings that many people have mentioned in this thread already, which are legit criticisms btw, this was the best Star Wars movie Hollywood could have made in 2015 AD. Too bad that the script felt completely rehashed and shallow, but I honestly prefer that a million times than the clusterfuck that was the prequel's "DUDE TRADE LAWS LMAO" storyline.

Also: R2-D2 is a cunt.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-12-27 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    Bridge of Spies - 9/10
    Another Spielberg masterpiece, if your looking for action packed spy movie, look elsewhere as this is not that type of movie. it is a slow paced, thought provoking film with some fantastic acting by Hanks. Dealing with the true life events of a spy and a young man that are caught in cold war era eastern block. Some amazing visuals and a great story make this an easy nomination for an Oscar.

Well worth watching.

The Revenant - 5/10

It was really boring to me.

Concussion - 4/10

Listening to Will Smith do that fake accent.. My god was it cringe and hard to watch.

7+ Year Old Account
    Arizona Bay (Chronosynclastic Infundibulum)
    Hateful Eight 9/10

Think this is one of Tarantino's best. Focused heavily on his writing and cinematography, which are, imo, his strongest qualities. Actors were fantastic. Plenty of laughs on top of that.
    "....but the Universe is an awfully big place. There is room enough for an awful lot of people to be right about things and still not agree...."

10+ Year Old Account
    The Hateful Eight (2015): 8.5/10

I assume that people who didn't like it don't like dialogue in movies. I got a very distinct Reservoir Dogs vibe from it, especially from the second half. It felt like classic Tarantino overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What does one do when they find it; if it is indeed perfect, do you stop watching movies or reading books? It's a laughable notion born of juvenile understanding.
    Of course. I read the dictionary. Every other book now pales and is just the same, only in a little different order.

@topic: Antman 5.5/10
    It's like many other Marvel movies: It has some nice effects, a little humor and many references to their other movies, though there's not really much depth to the story and characters. It's ok to watch, but nothing really special.