Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did Blizzard Forget

Did Blizzard forget how to draw a circle?

If you look at the Gobin mount.. why couldn't they just make the wheelse circular instead of a decagon?

Because creating a circular shape for a model can take up more polygons than probably the whole of the trike itself.

Quote Originally Posted by heyiamdan View Post
    Did Blizzard forget how to draw a circle?

If you look at the Gobin mount.. why couldn't they just make the wheelse circular instead of a decagon?

No such thing as a circle where polygons are involved unless you have some hefty hardware to do the calculations and rendering.

Performance wise .. polygons are easier to render and don't require a lot of power to draw them.

It's a cost vs performance issue here.

It takes squares to make Circles. Now you have both! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinwtf View Post
    It takes squares to make Circles. Now you have both! Enjoy!
    Actually it takes triangles to make the shapes ...

Deleted
    Just shut up and enjoy the mount, Alliance doesn't even get one!

Have you played Desert Katamari in Uldum? I don't think they've forgotten how to make circles, or spheres in that case.
    Blame Goblins for not knowing proper design of wheels...

But seriously, it's the polys.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Simple answer here. The Goblins needed to cut costs, mounts are much cheaper these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will soon, gnomes riding worgen... PLAYING CARD GAMES!!!!!!!!

They dont want it, in my opinion mostly because it wouldn't fit with the goblin race and their clunkiness and the way that they want the at for their game.

and it costs your pc more processing work. Abbysimally so, but still, it takes up some more processing power, which will make people on low end machines cry. And most of the players use lower end machines.

Also, less production cost, its a business baby, they need to make cuts in everything they can to get the most amount of profit. Or the shareholders will q_q.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sscavenger View Post
    They will soon, gnomes riding worgen... PLAYING CARD GAMES!!!!!!!!
    This comment frightens me. There isn't a Worgen mount from the TCG is there? Be it an actual worgen or a thematically worgen mount that they reserved for that stupid TCG would anger me so much.

Deleted
    wow I'm surprised at the accurate/specific responses here, I thought I was alone as a modeller (but some information can be picked up from the model viewer)

what they said ^^ don't assume Blizzard can't make circles, it's a click and drag in every modelling software to my knowledge (cylinders)

Deleted
    Its actualy for lore reasons. Goblins factor out the edges to save on manufactoring costs.

Quote Originally Posted by heyiamdan View Post
    Did Blizzard forget how to draw a circle?[/IMG]
    You noticed this NOW? Every single "round" structure in the game (that is not simply a texture image) is a polygon. It's how they speed up performance.

think about it, have you seen any wheels(or even anything thats suppose to be a circle shape), at all, in world of warcraft that are perfectly circlular? it takes an extreme amount of polygon work to get it to look a bit more round, and even then it still wouldnt be circular

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm skeptical about how much more performance power it would take to make the wheels appear less square.

Can a 3D modeler answer if this is true or not?
    Last edited by Selxxa; 2010-12-20 at 06:50 PM.
    We will stand above the city, rising high above the streets
    From tops of buildings we will look, at all that lies beneath our feet
    We will raise our hands above us, cold steel shining in the sun
    With these hands that will not bleed, my father's battle will be won!

Drakkosh Zhysta Shivarra Tesela

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you draw a freehand circle? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    No such thing as a circle where polygons are involved unless you have some hefty hardware to do the calculations and rendering.

Performance wise .. polygons are easier to render and don't require a lot of power to draw them.

It's a cost vs performance issue here.
    I think a lot of ppl skipped over your post Addiena =(

yes guys, probably a big reason is because circles-cost-processing-power. if they were to make everything with the gfx capabilities of CoD: Black Ops, then count that with the 12 million subscribers they have and you got a whole lotta nothing..literally, the wow client would crash..and before anyone says "well blizz should fix their servers then cause CoD can do it QQ" yes but CoD I bet isn't as extensive as wow, you can beat a CoD game in a couple days technically wow never ends never runs out of content unless you've done everything, and even then patches are every couple months with new content compared to a new game every couple years. the game code itself is expansive and at the time was so intuitive to make wow work together so seamlessly it didn't matter as much if there was lower-tier graphics than other games.

in short, it doesn't matter, it's close enough and saves processing power.

The creativity some people have in their QQ keeps me astonished..
    Really!

Freakin amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderzammy View Post
    just shut up and enjoy the mount, alliance doesn't even get one!
    we just retarded looking worgen wild running