Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So...is anyone else disappointed at the way Archaeology is done?

I don't really QQ about anything in the game but Archaeology kinda disappoints me.

I thought we'd be going around looking for artifacts and then putting them together by finding more fragments. Instead, the game just gives us a random artifact to assemble. For me at least, that doesn't feel like Archaeology. Archaeology is FINDING the artifacts yourself, not just the pieces and not being given one automatically at random. I wish it were different.

Anyone else feel this way?

/thread

I don't mind it how it is now, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Deleted
    For the first stab at a new secondary profession, I'd say it was a pretty decent effort. Basically just a way to pass the time and grab a few neat vanity items (and the very occasional useful rare). Like the poster above said though, definitely room for improvement. Maybe a choice of what your next 'project' is once you complete one? Could give you a choice of 2-or-3. Just to take the complete rng out of it, and allow you to try to collect 'em all, as it were.

I wtb more nerubian and tol'vir digsites. Particularly nerubian, 2 rares and very few sites, vrykul has only 1 rare that I know of, yet almost half of the digsites in Northrend are vrykul...
    Last edited by Hellemental; 2010-12-25 at 11:07 AM.

I find fishing more enjoyable, that says alot...

I like Archeology so far, but then, I like traveling around the world anyways...

15+ Year Old Account
    you /thread after starting one, lol.

OT: not really fussed about it. a lot of the game is RNG anyway.

it does need more tolvir digsites, thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Diurden View Post
    it does need more tolvir digsites, thats for sure
    Why? Do we want to see everyone riding the Blue Qiraji like the Fossilized Raptor? Yeah...
    Rares should stay rare.
    Last edited by Exhorder; 2010-12-25 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Om1 View Post
    I find fishing more enjoyable, that says alot...
    This pretty much sums up my feelings of the profession.

I found archeology a waste of time due to the reward to time invested is so minimum and just way to random.

Deleted
    The profession is ok, always room for some upgrades.

I like that the cool stuff is really rare, like the battletank and some of the lvl 85 boa items
    I managed to get the raptor mount and pet at skill 225-240, unlocked some wierd rares like extra HS and naga/wisp transformations.

My latest "usable" item was the lvl 85 epic ring

Remember, archeology is a optional profession, you dont really need it

i hate it as well ! solved 53 troll..... no 2h sword ( all solves were on +450 skill)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 200% RNG, as both "recipees" and digsites are just random.

I really thought it would be more of a minigame in game, that we needed to solve a puzzle/quiz or something to actually get it done. Now it's just boring.
    Vol'jin fanboy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhorder View Post
    Why? Do we want to see everyone riding the Blue Qiraji like the Fossilized Raptor? Yeah...
    Awww... someone has the same mount as you

On Topic: Archaeology is fine as long as you're not looking for anything specific. The profession is not only randomness, it's randomness covered with randomness inside randomness over randomness. The solution would be so simple: Just ensure there is always at least one digsite of every faction up.
    It is plain stupid to travel for hours and dig in sites you don't need just to have a small chance to spawn a needed one. And even if it spawns, it only takes you a little step further to the next random roll.
    Imagin other professions where like this. "Oh, i've got a new belt! Good i am a bs, so i can craft a buckle for it!" *opens bs-window* "Oh darn, the buckle recipe is not up right now, i have to craft one of the other randomly chosen items and hope for the bucke to pop up!"

Quote Originally Posted by cookiesncreme View Post
    For me at least, that doesn't feel like Archaeology. Archaeology is FINDING the artifacts yourself, not just the pieces and not being given one automatically at random. I wish it were different.
    Exactly. It doesn't make sense at all. You travel around the whole world and find tiny pieces of... stuff. And amazingly, if you put them together they all match. Pretty cool that those parts i found in STV fit perfectly together with those from Tanaris and Hinterlands.

It's only a secondary profession. Deal with it.

I really like it, I am at 325 atm and I find it addicting. I go digging while I wait in the queue for a heroic and when the heroic pops, half the time I want to decline it because I want to keep digging. Especially when you get a rare, I just want to dig until I can finish it! The only thing I would change is the 5 second CD on survey, it gets annoying especially in the green zone. The change with giving rare items 15 skill ups instead of the regular 5 is also fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang
    so kids just ninja, the friendships are temporary mounts are forever.

You may not be aware of this, but very often, irl, people digging roads, foundations etc find old stuff and THEY DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS THERE OR WHO LEFT IT! Viking ruins are found built on Roman ruins. Who knew?

Basically, archaeology has a large random component irl, so the in game arch is actually a fairly good sim of real life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sladoledar View Post
    i hate it as well ! solved 53 troll..... no 2h sword ( all solves were on +450 skill)
    funny how people expect to get the best 2h weapon (normal mode) with little to no effort.
    53 is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by bengaltd View Post
    I really like it, I am at 325 atm and I find it addicting. I go digging while I wait in the queue for a heroic and when the heroic pops, half the time I want to decline it because I want to keep digging. Especially when you get a rare, I just want to dig until I can finish it! The only thing I would change is the 5 second CD on survey, it gets annoying especially in the green zone. The change with giving rare items 15 skill ups instead of the regular 5 is also fantastic.
    Post here again when you have had 525 for a week and the only fragments that have any use to you AT ALL are tol'vir ones.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiesncreme View Post
    I don't really QQ about anything in the game but Archaeology kinda disappoints me.

I thought we'd be going around looking for artifacts and then putting them together by finding more fragments. Instead, the game just gives us a random artifact to assemble. For me at least, that doesn't feel like Archaeology. Archaeology is FINDING the artifacts yourself, not just the pieces and not being given one automatically at random. I wish it were different.

Anyone else feel this way?

/thread
    It really is kinda dumb, enough for complaints, but people are still gonna over do it.-.- I wish it was better too.