Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    I'm sorry but WTF? have the writers been smoking the same stuff as the Blizz devs who came up with WoD?

By itself it was enjoyable an episode.
    But it basically tearing up 50years of Doctor who cannon and taking a crap all over the intrinsic laws that have governed the show.

I did however like how they wrote Hurt. And how he kept taking digs at Smith's portrayal of the Doctor. Definately getting the vibe the writers know that Smith is not a favorite and a bit more.....maturity....may be required. Looking forward to Capaldi.
    Um they actually fixed every plot hole from the start of the 9ths Doctor.

1. How did any Dalek survive and no Time Lords: Solved Daleks were winning the war, and the time lock was only designed to preserve the Doctors timeline
    2. End of Time, How did they Almost move Gallifrey during the Time Locked Time War? Happened at the same time the Doctor took Gallifrey out of time and Space, this means Rassilon, and the Master can show up again.
    3. Can't Change History? Didn't with the Doctors New solution history goes on just as it did, no one is the wiser.
    4. The Doctor can not cross his time stream?only in special episodes, ie every anniversary show has had these types of events.
    5. So the Daleks could be a threat again?Yes, but now that Claire has wiped their memory of the Doctor, they will be at a disadvantage in dealing with time lords, and they will also learn to fear the Doctor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Great episode. Completely different from what I expected.. I guess we know why Elizabeth I wanted to kill The Doctor in the Shakespeare episode. He married her & never came back! I'm looking forward to the Christmas episode; looks like Trenzalore is where ELEVEN's tomb is!

Cool cameo by Peter Capaldi. He called himself 13. I wonder if that will stick.
    Any hard core fan will make the mental adjustment.

Peter Capaldi is the 13th Doctor.

And I am OK with that.

Honestly Hurt did an Amazing Job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    My only real criticism is that Hurt's "War Doctor" wasn't necessary, it could easily have been McGann. But I love John Hurt, have for a very long time so I can forgive this, he was superb and really he was the "classic Doctor Who fan" with all the digs are the "new Who".

After a very lack-lustre season, The Day of the Doctor was an incredible triumph.
    Oh but he was needed, they needed a bridge from the classic show to the new one, although McGann is a good Actor, I do not think he has the depth of range to show the happy Doctor who helps people and is now faced with a impossibly difficult choice, John Hurt had that perfectly. I was literally in tears when I realized what was happening at the End. It was brilliant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so I watched, It was pretty good. Some of my theory still stands,I never thought that Gallifrey was destroyed, just stuck in a time lock. So is Gallifrey in that picture there or is that just a hint and it is somewhere else? I need to go rewatch it...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Y'all are taking the 12 cycle limit WAY to seriously. Dr.Who will continue regardless of any limiting rules established by the lore so its not worth worrying about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latex View Post
    He has 12 regenerations (that means 13 'lives'). Before John Hurt was introduced Matt Smith was the 11th Doctor. For simplicity lets call John Hurt 'the Doctor'. That means Matt Smith is now Doctor 12 and Daid Tennent had an extra regen in Journey's End. That means Matt Smith is the 13th 'version' of the Doctor meaning he's run out.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems a bizarre thing to lie about though. Saying the timelords are dead provides shock later when it turns out they aren't so makes perfect sense. Lying about regen limits? I see nothing to gain here.
    Chart to make this clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I got far too pumped for Peter Capaldi with this...

I almost droped my glass of beer when i saw those eyes in the episode

Gotta say it will take some time for me to really digest what i just saw but ive gotta say i thought it was fucking amazing and a real tribute to the fans and the show itself

10+ Year Old Account
    I just realized I should post a better version of my Chart.

This one shows How Old He is.

There are certain details from the Show which I am considering in making the Age based Chart.

1: doctor always lies about how old he is.
    2: Mat Smith said he is 1200 now, David Tenant and John Hurt sort of believe him.
    3: Certain Doctors can not have had very long lives because of how the story arcs and Companions went, I marked these lives in Red, as he didn't get the chance to take a 100 year vacation.

So Fixed from 1200, and I counted backwards to 450 which is the first age he says he is at the start of the Second Doctor. As often as possible I tried to get as close to the stated age. IF the end of the War Doctor was 400 years prior to the Current Mat Smith that puts him at 800.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    ... River Song shot him. If he was out of regens why would he do that? Or was he just making a show for the Silence? ...
    It was for show, that was the Time-Ship The Teselecta, Justice Department Vehicle Number 6018, made to look like the Doctor it did the Regen looking burst of Energy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Y'all are taking the 12 cycle limit WAY to seriously. Dr.Who will continue regardless of any limiting rules established by the lore so its not worth worrying about.
    Not really, it is an important limiter to the show, which Moffet himself adheres to, which is why when he bursts it, it will be special.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-11-24 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

There are certain details from the Show which I am considering in making the Age based Chart.

2: Mat Smith said he is 1200 now, David Tenant and John Hurt sort of believe him.
    3: Certain Doctors can not have had very long lives because of how the story arcs and Companions went, I marked these lives in Red, as he didn't get the chance to take a 100 year vacation.
    I doubt the age even matters anymore, it was always weird with all the tie ins and extra episodes and inconsistencies and all that, Moffat threw it off with "1200 or something, I don't count anymore", so I imagine we'll just go with knowing when he gets a century or so older.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, it is an important limiter to the show, which Moffet himself adheres to, which is why when he bursts it, it will be special.
    He's obviously already planned for it, now that Hurt was a regeneration. It will be dealt with in Peter Capaldi's time I imagine. I wonder if Moffat plans to find Gallifrey during his own time running, or if he wants it to be something that continues for decades?

What i did love about seeing it at the cinema was the Strax giving a lecture on cinema etiquette. Best bit was him telling us of his love popped corn and how the humans were merciless on the little creatures followed by him eating some and the popcorn giving off small screams.

2nd part was 10th and 11th talking about 3d and how the 11th had just watched 100th anniversary in 12d and 3d was boring. Also telling us Zygons were in the cinema, so close one eye look to your left or right and if one side was black they were a zygon. Then some banter between the 10th and 11th and then John hurt turned up and it started

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted

So Fixed from 1200, and I counted backwards to 450 which is the first age he says he is at the start of the Second Doctor. As often as possible I tried to get as close to the stated age. IF the end of the War Doctor was 400 years prior to the Current Mat Smith that puts him at 800.

- - - Updated - - -

It was for show, that was the Time-Ship The Teselecta, Justice Department Vehicle Number 6018, made to look like the Doctor it did the Regen looking burst of Energy.

- - - Updated - - -

Good chart, although it seems as though Capaldi is calling himself 13 not 12. Which makes sense because Matt Smith (and therefore all future generations) now recognises Hurt as a Doctor.

peter capaldi is NOT the 13th doctor they arent going to call him the 13th doctor, he is the 12th doctor.

the 50th anniversary finished shooting in may they wouldnt have announced him as the 12th doctor and they arent going to rebrand every piece of merchandise since 2005.

matt is 11 capaldi is 12.

if you want to give hurt a number then its 8.5
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    peter capaldi is NOT the 13th doctor they arent going to call him the 13th doctor, he is the 12th doctor.

the 50th anniversary finished shooting in may they wouldnt have announced him as the 12th doctor and they arent going to rebrand every piece of merchandise since 2005.

matt is 11 capaldi is 12.

if you want to give hurt a number then its 8.5
    But Eccleston, Tennant and Smith are only 9, 10 and 11 because they refused to acknowledge Hurt as the Doctor. After this episode Hurt is recognised as the Doctor so it makes sense that future incarnations will count him as one of their incarnations thus affecting their number. Ergo Capaldi is the 13th Doctor and because of 10.5 the 14th regeneration. None of the merchandise has to be rebranded because it corresponds to a time when Hurt wasn't called the Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    But Eccleston, Tennant and Smith are only 9, 10 and 11 because they refused to acknowledge Hurt as the Doctor. After this episode Hurt is recognised as the Doctor so it makes sense that future incarnations will count him as one of their incarnations thus affecting their number. Ergo Capaldi is the 13th Doctor and because of 10.5 the 14th regeneration. None of the merchandise has to be rebranded because it corresponds to a time when Hurt wasn't called the Doctor.
    NO. doesnt matter, 10.5 is a doctor as well does that make matt the 13th doctor? no it doesnt.

they are NOT going to be calling capaldi the 13th doctor, he is the 12th doctor.

they arent going to confuse little kids who have called matt the 11th doctor for years now, you arent gonna have to go into a store and say "i want the 11th doctors sonic screwdriver" and have someone say "well do you mean the 11th doctor or the 11th 12th doctor?"

it doesnt work that way, the numbers arent going to change theyve been this way for almost 10 years moffat has said time and time again that john hurt is not the 9th doctor, he is an incarnation of the doctor that pops up between 8 and 9 just like 10.5 does between 10 and 11

- - - Updated - - -

ratings for day of the doctor in the uk

According to early overnight viewing figures The Day of the Doctor was watched by 10.2 million (a 37.4% audience share) viewers in the UK on BBC1.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Really good considering xfactor was on at the same time :P

You should watch The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot if you haven't already. I was laughing at all the silliness of them trying to get into the 50th anniversary show.

even the official doctor who page on tumblr still calls capaldi the 12th doctor.

#peter capaldi #the day of the doctor #dw spoilers #spoilers sweetie #twelfth doctor

those were the tags on that picture

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aseren View Post
    You should watch The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot if you haven't already. I was laughing at all the silliness of them trying to get into the 50th anniversary show.
    i loved it too, especially the bit where they try to call tom and the bit with john barrowman.

loved the whole thing

"of course ive been busy with the hobbit"

"oh you're in the hobbit i NEVER knew"

- - - Updated - - -

you know we saw what a piece of shit trenzalore looks like after the doctors battle. BUT

did 11 do that? OR is that what capaldi did after he regenerated because he was so pissed off?

O-O wrath of teh capaldis!

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis
    If you want to give Hurt a number then its 8.5
    For me plan and simple, John Hurt is the 9th Doctor.

Clara: You told me the name you chose was a promise, what was the promise?
    Doctor(Tennant): Never cruel, or cowardly.
    Doctor(Hurt): Never give up. Never give in.

He upheld the promise of the name of the Doctor. To me if he had actually used the Moment, he'd have broken his vow of the Doctor, because he'd have given up on saving Gallifrey. People refer to Moffat's insistence that this incarnation is not the 9th, but my response is first, like the Doctor, Moffat lies. Two his writing betrays himself, by the end the special the other Doctors' recognize Hurt as one of them, thus this is Moffat betraying his own stance.

Quote Originally Posted by mahananaka View Post
    For me plan and simple, John Hurt is the 9th Doctor.

Clara: You told me the name you chose was a promise, what was the promise?
    Doctor(Tennant): Never cruel, or cowardly.
    Doctor(Hurt): Never give up. Never give in.

He upheld the promise of the name of the Doctor. To me if he had actually used the Moment, he'd have broken his vow of the Doctor, because he'd have given up on saving Gallifrey. People refer to Moffat's insistence that this incarnation is not the 9th, but my response is first, like the Doctor, Moffat lies. Two his writing betrays himself, by the end the special the other Doctors' recognize Hurt as one of them, thus this is Moffat betraying his own stance.
    doesnt matter.

if you want to consider hurt the doctor then hes 8.5, hes not 9, hes 8.5

if capaldi was the 13th doctor the officials wouldnt still be calling him 12.

- - - Updated - - -

whats the tags on these pictures from the offical doctor who tumblr?

#tenth doctor #eleventh doctor #Sonic Screwdriver

- - - Updated - - -

whats the tag on this picture?

#TARDIS #the day of the doctor #dw spoilers #clara oswald #tenth doctor #eleventh doctor #the war doctor

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All the people saying Capaldi is calling himself the 13th Doctor need to re-watch the special. They were simply counting the number of Doctors and Tardises (Tardisi? lol) He simply stated '13' not, I am 13, adding himself to the amount of Doctors that participated in the freezing of Gallifrey and not labeling himself as the 13th Doctor in a sequence.

Unless I was totally bonkers from the OMG moment with Capaldi, I'm like 99% sure that's how it went down.
    BAD WOLF

Immitis, the only reason they called him the 12th was to avoid any 50th spoilers. The Time Lords literally refer to Capaldi as 13th in the episode, hes Doctor 13 deal with it.