Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I feel like the Clara character has experienced to many resets. Like, she's completely inconsistent as a character. Clara first appears as a Dalek. Reset. Next she appears as a Victorian governess/barmaid. Reset. The first episode of the real Clara she's given computer hacking skills and becomes a genius at technology, but then it's never ever brought up again. Reset. Clara learns about her other selves while trying not to die in the TARDIS, but then goes back in time and stops that from ever happening. Reset. Clara enters the Doctor's timestream and sacrifices herself, and somehow the Doctor enters his own timestream to save her (wut?); she doesn't remember her split selves. Reset. Then she travels with 3 different Doctor's in the 50th, sees the Doctor regenerate in front of her, and then decides she doesn't understand who the Doctor is anymore.......... really?

The inconsistencies in her character drive me crazy. Like, also, where are those kids she babysits? Why is she all of a sudden an English teacher? Why doesn't she ever react to any situation with an expression other than boredom or self-serving entitlement? Ugh, Clara.

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I still find Martha to be the worst companion ever, mostly because her acting was diabolical and her character was dull to the nth degree. Also hated Rory, because the writers forgot everything about who he actually is and was from every episode and reduced him to nothing by a whiny annoyance in every episode.

I like Amy and kind of enjoyed Rose, but I have to agree I loved Donna, her chemistry with the Doctor was spot on for me. Something that couldn't be further from the truth with Clara.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Also hated Rory
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    [IMG]http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/24900000/Rory-is-the-Man-6x08-doctor-who-24919288-500-282.gif[MG]
    "Shut up Hitler!"

Gotta love Rory.

its confirmed

" Production on 2014’s Doctor Who Christmas episode has begun, with a host of British acting talent set to appear. The Christmas special, a cracker of a highlight in the festive season’s schedule, will air this Christmas on BBC One and promises to be an action-packed, unmissable adventure.

Nick Frost, actor and screenwriter, has starred in numerous hit film and television roles, including Spaced, The World’s End, Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, Cuban Fury and Paul, which he also wrote.

Nick comments: “I’m so thrilled to have been asked to guest in the Doctor Who Christmas Special, I’m such a fan of the show. The read-through was very difficult for me; I wanted to keep stuffing my fingers into my ears and scream ‘No spoilers!’ Every day on set I’ve had to silence my internal fan-boy squeals!”

Michael Troughton (Breathless, The New Statesman), who has recently returned to acting, will follow in his father’s footsteps by appearing in Doctor Who. His father, Patrick Troughton, played the second incarnation of the Doctor.

They will be joined by Natalie Gumede (Coronation Street, Ideal, Strictly Come Dancing), Faye Marsay (Pride, The White Queen, Fresh Meat) and Nathan McMullen (Misfits, Casualty).

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, says: “Frost at Christmas – it just makes sense! I worked with Nick on the Tintin movie many years ago and it’s a real pleasure to lure him back to television for a ride on the TARDIS.”

The Doctor Who Christmas Special will air on BBC One. Written by Steven Moffat and directed by Paul Wilmshurst (Strike Back, Combat Kids), it will be shot in Cardiff at BBC Wales Roath Lock Studios."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/2014-ch...ctor+Who+TV%29

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nick Frost on the TARDIS? This I have got to see.
    BAD WOLF

clara has nothing to do with the doctor stealing the tardis, she has nothing to do with any of his pre clara victories, she has nothing to do with any past doctors besides the ones in the 50th all she did was correct his timeline.
    Except they showed her interacting and doing those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Yes, it's essentially the whole time paradox thing. If it happened, then it always happened. The GI was always there and Clara was always there to stop him. That's how time travel works. So essentially all the old events we saw happened just as we are seeing them now, with Clara there...always.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Nick Frost AND Nathan McMullen... This is going to be a good Christmas special
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Bwhahahaha. I love it. Scotland is still with the UK. =)

Michael Troughton (Breathless, The New Statesman), who has recently returned to acting, will follow in his father’s footsteps by appearing in Doctor Who. His father, Patrick Troughton, played the second incarnation of the Doctor.
    And Michael's brother, David, played the King of Peladon in The Curse of Peladon, as well as a couple of minor roles alongside his father, Patrick, in Enemy of the World and Wargames. He later was in the episode Midnight with David Tennant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Yes, it's essentially the whole time paradox thing. If it happened, then it always happened. The GI was always there and Clara was always there to stop him. That's how time travel works. So essentially all the old events we saw happened just as we are seeing them now, with Clara there...always.
    Except The Doctor now didn't die on Trenzalore - the Time Lords changed the Doctor's future, and in doing so unavoidably changed his past. So unless the Doctor somehow ends up on Trenzalore again after his next 12 regenerations through some amazing coincidence, there is now nothing on Trenzalore for the Great Intelligence to have jumped into in order to 'always be there', and nothing for Clara to jump into to 'always be there to stop him'. There was no soufflé girl at the Dalek Asylum, nor did there need to be for the Doctor to survive. The Doctor defeated the Snowmen for some reason other than some barmaid saying 'Pond', etc. In fact, there's no reason for the Doctor to even have sought out Clara in the first place... except that 'the woman at the shop' gave Clara the Doctor's phone number.

At least Amy had the good grace to realize her life with the Doctor made no sense; Clara seems oblivious to it, except for the end of "Deep Breath" when (I like to imagine) she briefly realized she had no business traveling with the Doctor, because they now actually never would have met.
    Last edited by Khime; 2014-09-19 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Except The Doctor now didn't die on Trenzalore - the Time Lords changed the Doctor's future, and in doing so unavoidably changed his past
    I wouldn't be so quick to think that. The initial Trenzalore scenario had graves of several soldiers who fought with him, including a grave for River. Nothing in the events of a Town called Christmas even relayed those events were coming. Alternate universes or just terrible writing with no connection whatsoever? You be the judge. What we can be certain is what the writing attempted to do, which was to prop Clara up to the highest heavens in importance in the Doctor's life...not to act like she never existed. Whatever wibbley wobbley nonsense we can piece together that seems to indicate that's 'not true' doesn't even matter unfortunately.
    BAD WOLF

I wouldn't be so quick to think that. The initial Trenzalore scenario had graves of several soldiers who fought with him, including a grave for River. Nothing in the events of a Town called Christmas even relayed those events were coming. Alternate universes or just terrible writing with no connection whatsoever? You be the judge. What we can be certain is what the writing attempted to do, which was to prop Clara up to the highest heavens in importance in the Doctor's life...not to act like she never existed. Whatever wibbley wobbley nonsense we can piece together that seems to indicate that's 'not true' doesn't even matter unfortunately.
    The way I see it, before the Time Lords granted him a new life cycle, the Doctor was fated to die at the top of that clock tower in the final Dalek assault. The Daleks would then finish wiping out every church soldier opposing them, and probably most of the townsfolk of Christmas just for spite. How many total people were involved? The Doctor said millions in "Day of the Doctor", and he mentioned in the "Name of the Doctor" that the bigger gravestones were the soldiers, which leaves open that at least some of the graves were civilian. We didn't see millions of soliders fighting the Daleks during "Time of the Doctor", but then again, we only ever saw a few Daleks at a time, too. How much of the fighting took place off-screen, either on the ground or in space? Who knows.

The graves would either have been dug by the survivors, or by another group which came along after the fact, we do not know; I would assume some other arm or branch of the church would see to that to honor their own fallen. We also have no idea who dug the tunnel from the graveyard to the TARDIS, but labeling it as River Song's grave was a ploy to make the Doctor notice it, as she wasn't actually buried there.

Then again, we also never saw any of the planet besides one little town, which makes about as much sense as the rest of the episode. I really wish such a colossal event in Doctor Who history hadn't happened in a 'magic of miracles' Christmas episode.

Then again, we also never saw any of the planet besides one little town, which makes about as much sense as the rest of the episode. I really wish such a colossal event in Doctor Who history hadn't happened in a 'magic of miracles' Christmas episode.
    The town was the only thing that had anything significant for the hordes of aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The town was the only thing that had anything significant for the hordes of aliens.
    Right, but if I were a desperate alien, I wouldn't keep trying to air-drop myself right on top of the town; I'd go around to another part of the planet and get to the surface, and then come in low overland. Which, presumably, would mean that church soldiers would need to be deployed to prevent such incursions.

Then again, this is the same universe where Daleks in flying saucers (which can move in the third dimension quite freely) somehow have to fly 'past' the city of Arcadia in order to get to the capitol city...

Then again, this is the same universe where Daleks in flying saucers (which can move in the third dimension quite freely) somehow have to fly 'past' the city of Arcadia in order to get to the capitol city...
    Well... that the Doctor is still alive at all is by the grace of inconsistent and inept foes. This has been the case pretty much since the very beginning; one man with some plucky assistants really don't stand a change against all the powers of time and space being thrown against them
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Well... that the Doctor is still alive at all is by the grace of inconsistent and inept foes. This has been the case pretty much since the very beginning; one man with some plucky assistants really don't stand a change against all the powers of time and space being thrown against them
    I really should just remind myself to invoke the MST3K Mantra when watching Doctor Who: "It's just a show; I should really just relax."

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    she was only doing those things because the great intelligence changed all of those things.

- - - Updated - - -

if that were true then why did time all of a sudden start rewriting itself when the great intelligence jumped into his time stream? if your theory about "it always happened that way" then surely the great intelligence wouldve walked in and everything would be fine because clara wouldve jumped in right after. nothing wouldve changed since it was happening the way it meant to.

all clara did was fix the stuff that was broken only for the stuff to never become broken in the first place.

you cant say it happened because the doctor didnt die. and you cant say its because he regenerated because he regenerated in the tardis.

trenzalore never happened.

time was rewritten.

you cant just say "well it always happened"

because we see very clearly that it didnt. the doctors timeline was self destructing from all angles it very nearly destroyed the universe

- - - Updated - - -

also the great intelligence is still out there somewhere looking for revenge.

so we could see him show up at some point