Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Clara get out. GET OUT.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

wouldnt it be hilarious if clara stayed for series 10 too and become the longest new who companion?

- - - Updated - - -

wait, with series 9 she'll actually already be the longest new who companion. since amy and rorys last half of series 7 only had 5 episodes while clara had 10 (if you count christmas and 50th)
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    The things that breaks my brain a bit is that the Time Lords changed the Doctor's future when he was dying at Trenzalore. So either they didn't really change his future, and he's still fated to return to Trenzalore someday to die... or he didn't die/won't die/will not have died at Trenzalore, so there was no tomb for the Great Intelligence to break into, and no timeline for either the G.I. or for Clara to jump into, so there was no Impossible Girl saving the Doctor throughout history. Which would mean that the reason they originally met was not in order for her to eventually be in a position to save him (and form a closed time loop), but rather it would be because some outside force decided to put them together... oh, wait...
    I just created my own fan theory to rationalize the time stream continuity errors. Like, for example, the TARDIS sees all of time & space but only in one given time stream. The Doctor mentioned during Kill the Moon that alternate time streams are possible depending on subjective decisions made at points in time. The TARDIS flew to the graveyard on Trenzalore because she would not have accounted for a new set of regenerations coming through a crack in time (a crack unintentionally created by the TARDIS itself), so the Doctor did die in the original timestream. Alternatively, you could say that the TARDIS took the Doctor to his grave in order to scare him into changing the outcome, since the TARDIS "dies" there too and she doesn't want to be abandoned like that.

And separately, the reason the Moment could pull in Capaldi's Doctor into Gallifrey is because she can create portal to alternate time streams. The TARDIS cannot travel but to one time stream, or very difficultly to another universe.

The Master should have placed Clara with the Doctor so that she could save him from the Great Intelligence. In the finale it seemed somewhat arbitrary to put them together, so I like to think the Master was just saving his friend/enemy the Doctor.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2014-12-31 at 05:39 PM.

the way i rationalize trenzalore is that because gallifrey is in another dimension and the crack is a crack in all of space time that it can alter our universe in a way that would normally destroy our universe.

also that maybe the timelords being the timelords and everything they might be able to change things with all their tech in a way that doesnt break everything. kind of like how in series 3 the master used the doctors tardis to create a paradox machine so the universe wouldnt explode
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I just created my own fan theory to rationalize the time stream continuity errors. Like, for example, the TARDIS sees all of time & space but only in one given time stream. The Doctor mentioned during Kill the Moon that alternate time streams are possible depending on subjective decisions made at points in time. The TARDIS flew to the graveyard on Trenzalore because she would not have accounted for a new set of regenerations coming through a crack in time (a crack unintentionally created by the TARDIS itself), so the Doctor did die in the original timestream. Alternatively, you could say that the TARDIS took the Doctor to his grave in order to scare him into changing the outcome, since the TARDIS "dies" there too and she doesn't want to be abandoned like that.

And separately, the reason the Moment could pull in Capaldi's Doctor into Gallifrey is because she can create portal to alternate time streams. The TARDIS cannot travel but to one time stream, or very difficultly to another universe.

The Master should have placed Clara with the Doctor so that she could save him from the Great Intelligence. In the finale it seemed somewhat arbitrary to put them together, so I like to think the Master was just saving his friend/enemy the Doctor.
    This is how I rationalize it:
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

just a few more weeks until we start getting leaks and rumours and we can all argue about blurry pictures of some monsters butt for 6 months :P

Deleted
    hurry up already!

So, just got back from holidays, had the Christmas special on DVR (silly family prevented me from watching it on actual Christmas, and I was in London and EVERYTHING). Nick Frost killed it, I agree he should have been in it a lot more. Dancer girl was great too. Old Clara should have been the real ending.

I kind of wonder what the purpose of them all being separate in space (location) and potentially time (old Clara) serves. Is it a one-off? Or are these potential allies of the Doctor in the future? Why did the Dream Crabs pick these people? If you have a fatalist view of things, they might be important.

Also, what's up with the tangerines? Does Santa leave tangerines in the UK? He just takes milk and cookies from us in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I kind of wonder what the purpose of them all being separate in space (location) and potentially time (old Clara) serves. Is it a one-off? Or are these potential allies of the Doctor in the future? Why did the Dream Crabs pick these people? If you have a fatalist view of things, they might be important.

Also, what's up with the tangerines? Does Santa leave tangerines in the UK? He just takes milk and cookies from us in the States.
    The Doctor was attacked by a dream crab, and then his mind/memories were used by the other crabs to find Clara. That way the dream world would be more believable since they know each other; the random people were just to fill out the dream and Santa was a dream construct. "Old Clara" was just regular Clara & the Doctor both still trapped in the dream world and Clara imagined her life without the Doctor.

I wonder about the tangerine, too. And what are these Christmas Crackers they've had every year? Only ever heard of them on this show.

Christmas crackers are so traditionally English even an American like me with only nominal ties to the UK (relatives) knows what they are. But the tangerines are new to me.

And I still wonder why the dream crabs felt the need to fill the dream with supposedly "random" people? Do you think the Doctor and Clara would have felt the dream was empty if it was just them, like it's been countless times? If the dream crabs got Clara from his memories, are these people from the Doctor's memory too, but from such an insignificant jaunt of his that he can't remember them? After all, this episode did reference this idea that he "deletes" people he doesn't need to remember.

Deleted
    Wait, there aren't Christmas Crackers in America?

So, just got back from holidays, had the Christmas special on DVR (silly family prevented me from watching it on actual Christmas, and I was in London and EVERYTHING). Nick Frost killed it, I agree he should have been in it a lot more. Dancer girl was great too. Old Clara should have been the real ending.

capaldi when he was a kid always had a tangerine and doctor who annual on christmas. so its probably a little nod to that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    nope, i hate that since i live in america now i miss out on so much shit from the uk. no pastys, no christmas crackers, no jelly babies

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    nope, i hate that since i live in america now i miss out on so much shit from the uk. no pastys, no christmas crackers, no jelly babies
    Do you miss pantomimes, too?

"It’s time to take a look at how you voted in the ‘rate the episode’ poll last week for Last Christmas. As usual we asked you to give the episode a score out of 10:
    What would you rate Last Christmas out of 10? (Poll Closed)
    10/10 - A dream Christmas! 27.75%

9/10 - Great 26.55%

8/10 - Very good 19.74%

7/10 - Good 10.53%

5/10 - Average 4.4%

6/10 - Above average 3.6%

4/10 - Below average 2.53%

1/10 - A Christmas nightmare! 2.25%

3/10 - Poor 1.49%

2/10 - Very Poor 1%

These results leave it with a final averaged score of 8.108, so a well-received special but not quite enough to threaten the top place rankings of last year.

The 2014 episode rankings (according to DWTV polls):

Dark Water – 8.953
    Listen – 8.918
    Flatline – 8.774
    Mummy on the Orient Express – 8.679
    Deep Breath – 8.282
    Last Christmas – 8.108
    Death in Heaven – 8.072
    Into the Dalek – 8.052
    Time Heist – 7.823
    Kill the Moon – 7.808
    The Caretaker – 7.795
    Robot of Sherwood – 7.512
    In the Forest of the Night – 6.482

The Clara poll results will be revealed on Saturday."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-la...king-70824.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Nope. I only knew about them growing up because of English relatives and Enid Blyton books. And I only knew Enid Blyton because I'm Indian and apparently in India every kid is inundated with these books from a very young age if they want to learn English. I saw my first cracker IRL in London, a week ago.

Aren't jelly babies just jellybeans? Might still be missing that one. And listen, as someone who eats lots of mince in curries, etc, that your ignominously named "mince pies" are not only not savory but sweet, but also not even made of mince meat, is beyond belief. I got handed my first mince pie this Christmas and was looking forward to quelling the misgivings I had about English people serving meat as a Christmas holiday treat, but I WAS BAMBOOZLED.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... So no tangerines in your stocking and no Christmas Crackers... But what do you wear on your head all through Christmas dinner
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    The Doctor was attacked by a dream crab, and then his mind/memories were used by the other crabs to find Clara. That way the dream world would be more believable since they know each other; the random people were just to fill out the dream and Santa was a dream construct. "Old Clara" was just regular Clara & the Doctor both still trapped in the dream world and Clara imagined her life without the Doctor.

I wonder about the tangerine, too. And what are these Christmas Crackers they've had every year? Only ever heard of them on this show.
    Pretty sure they got Clara first then found the Doctor.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Wow... So no tangerines in your stocking and no Christmas Crackers... But what do you wear on your head all through Christmas dinner
    my head is very cold

10+ Year Old Account
    my head is very cold
    Christmas is rruuiinneeddd!!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Nope. I only knew about them growing up because of English relatives and Enid Blyton books. And I only knew Enid Blyton because I'm Indian and apparently in India every kid is inundated with these books from a very young age if they want to learn English. I saw my first cracker IRL in London, a week ago.

Aren't jelly babies just jellybeans? Might still be missing that one. And listen, as someone who eats lots of mince in curries, etc, that your ignominously named "mince pies" are not only not savory but sweet, but also not even made of mince meat, is beyond belief. I got handed my first mince pie this Christmas and was looking forward to quelling the misgivings I had about English people serving meat as a Christmas holiday treat, but I WAS BAMBOOZLED.
    Jellybabies are in the shape of babies.