Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    his serious scenes are the ones i like best. i think smith does the best dark doctor
    Yup. Signed. Eccleston would've done it better than Tennant if he had stayed long enough for it, but Smith definitely does darker better. Wait til you see him in Goslings movies...will probably not make you look at him the same.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    his serious scenes are the ones i like best. i think smith does the best dark doctor
    Honestly, I feel that Tennant did that better. Smith just seems to turn into a blubbering mess when he's being dramatically serious. He's shouting, spit talking, making a mess out of his talking, and I just find it so.. excessive and over the top. Just watch the one where he's shouting at the parasite sun.. it just looks so ehhh.

Well, each to their own, I guess. I still think that Smith is best when it comes to silly or comedic moments, but just can't make serious ones work for me.

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 12:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yup. Signed. Eccleston would've done it better than Tennant if he had stayed long enough for it, but Smith definitely does darker better. Wait til you see him in Goslings movies...will probably not make you look at him the same.
    Eccleston would have nailed serious/dark scenes because he typically portrays villains and serious characters in movies. I think that the Doctor was like.. the only time where he's played a good guy.

I think Tennant plays the best overall tv Doctor. He makes for a compelling show every time, but is mostly the same in every episode as well. Eccleston was great at being evil and he was sometimes quite unsettling. His strange facial expressions were a bit offputting, however. Smith portrays a very gleeful character but when he pulls out the dark moments you suddenly see his quirks are an act to forget how dark he's really become (the Doctor, that is). Smith can't nail the very dark scenes though.

The Doctor Characters IMO:
    Eccleston: Pissed off at everything. Doesn't even know what to do anymore.
    Tennant: Saving people makes him content like the old Doctors. Very sad, though.
    Smith: Craves companions to keep him feeling alive. Is cold inside and has stopped caring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Honestly, I feel that Tennant did that better. Smith just seems to turn into a blubbering mess when he's being dramatically serious. He's shouting, spit talking, making a mess out of his talking, and I just find it so.. excessive and over the top. Just watch the one where he's shouting at the parasite sun.. it just looks so ehhh.

Well, each to their own, I guess. I still think that Smith is best when it comes to silly or comedic moments, but just can't make serious ones work for me.

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 12:14 AM ----------

Eccleston would have nailed serious/dark scenes because he typically portrays villains and serious characters in movies. I think that the Doctor was like.. the only time where he's played a good guy.
    David Tennant in The waters of Mars was just stunning good at being serious:}.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    The Waters of Mars was such a brilliant episode for Tennant.
    It really let him shine with the serious storyline where he thought he was all so powerful, and then it kicked him in the face.
    It's easily one of my most favourite Tennant episodes.

Not long now until the episode is here! Yay!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    I just find it so.. excessive and over the top.
    I did not think this was possible

Honestly though, I think Matt Smith does a better job of the simmering rage just boiling under the surface. He's t his most disturbing at those points. I agree when he goes all out it can get to be a bit much sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post

Honestly though, I think Matt Smith does a better job of the simmering rage just boiling under the surface. He's t his most disturbing at those points. I agree when he goes all out it can get to be a bit much sometimes.
    I don't know, I think the Parasite God speech acting was quite good for what it was: A lonely demigod finally admitting to things to himself, realizing that HE was the one who has caused a lot of it. Coming to terms with the fact that he will never be able to get intimate with anyone, sans River, because of the secrets he keeps. That no matter how much, or how hard he tries he cannot change himself.
    If you look at it in that perspective I don't think that it was overacting at all, perhaps the spittle could have gone, but that scene just seemed to me to be a fairly big point of character development. Either that or I am reading way to much into it.

BBC has released short clips from the finale. EEEEK so excited!

Above video: Clara receives a letter from Madame Vastra telling her to come to bring the Doctor to Trenzalore. There is an additional scene that I can't seem to embed where The Doctor weeps uncontrollably when he learns that he has to go to Trenzalore; this clip can be seen on the source link below.

Above video: River Song is introduced to Clara. Now THIS is a scene worth seeing. A catfight between these two would be fantastic. More importantly, however, we now know that this is indeed an old version of River (she introduces herself as a Professor here). And if this is a "post library" River Song then it means she somehow actually escaped the digital world she was inhabiting, as we see her drinking wine and being physically present in this scene.

Source: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-name-of...clip-49005.htm

I am so pumped to watch this tomorrow. Seeing the clip on the source page of The Doctor weeping was magnificent; it's like he KNOWS something god awful is about to happen but he can't avoid it. And somehow it's worse than just his death.

Deleted
    Oh, Strax <3

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    David Tennant in The waters of Mars was just stunning good at being serious:}.
    Flaming psychotic you mean, right?

Had to look up Trenzaloer just to be sure I was thinking of the right place... and omg...
    I guess that adds up with the supposed reveal of the doctors name...

---

Anyway, I'm gonna be honest, I have enjoyed this last bit since he picked up Clara to travel, but it hasn't seemed like... as much... Its not as good as it used to be...
    Its a little disappointing, I do like Clara, but I don't like that they wont even tell you what The Doctor suspects, instead keep side stepping as if Moffat hasn't even decided himself yet...
    We don't seem to really be making any headway into discovering the secret behind Clara, The episodes like to bring up that something isn't right with her but not actually give you anything to go with it...

All in all, I'd have to say this has been the worst season for Doctor Who since Eccleston(I haven't watched before him unfortunately.) and it really saddens me that the episodes while good, just aren't... Great...
    I want the Thrill from Martha, the Excitement from Amy, The Passion from Rose, The Sass from Donna, but instead its like we're getting the Bland from Clara when they could really make her so much more than they are...

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Had to look up Trenzaloer just to be sure I was thinking of the right place... and omg...
    I guess that adds up with the supposed reveal of the doctors name...

---

Anyway, I'm gonna be honest, I have enjoyed this last bit since he picked up Clara to travel, but it hasn't seemed like... as much... Its not as good as it used to be...
    Its a little disappointing, I do like Clara, but I don't like that they wont even tell you what The Doctor suspects, instead keep side stepping as if Moffat hasn't even decided himself yet...
    We don't seem to really be making any headway into discovering the secret behind Clara, The episodes like to bring up that something isn't right with her but not actually give you anything to go with it...

All in all, I'd have to say this has been the worst season for Doctor Who since Eccleston(I haven't watched before him unfortunately.) and it really saddens me that the episodes while good, just aren't... Great...
    I want the Thrill from Martha, the Excitement from Amy, The Passion from Rose, The Sass from Donna, but instead its like we're getting the Bland from Clara when they could really make her so much more than they are...
    Meh, it's just forum goers who are cursed with hating everything. Everyone else I know have liked the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I think Tennant plays the best overall tv Doctor. He makes for a compelling show every time, but is mostly the same in every episode as well. Eccleston was great at being evil and he was sometimes quite unsettling. His strange facial expressions were a bit offputting, however. Smith portrays a very gleeful character but when he pulls out the dark moments you suddenly see his quirks are an act to forget how dark he's really become (the Doctor, that is). Smith can't nail the very dark scenes though.

The Doctor Characters IMO:
    Eccleston: Pissed off at everything. Doesn't even know what to do anymore.
    Tennant: Saving people makes him content like the old Doctors. Very sad, though.
    Smith: Craves companions to keep him feeling alive. Is cold inside and has stopped caring.
    I agree, although I still don't understand how he can fall in love with an unlikable selfish person as Rose. Not to mention all the "I miss Rose" during the latter seasons.
    Think this video explains how people like me feel about Rose:

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I just go ahead and state very loudly and largely for this upcoming weekend: people don't have access to watch the show at the same time. Please be respectful to your fellow Whovians and anything you want to talk about, from time of air through the whole world's weekend, needs to basically be COMPLETELY IN SPOILER TAGS.

While I know most of us have commons sense and decency to remember this, let's make sure such a monumental episode isn't ruined for anyone else. Friendly reminder
    BAD WOLF

Or just avoid the thread for a couple of days too

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Or just avoid the thread for a couple of days too
    It shouldn't be the responsibility of a passerby or anyone else to have to avoid a thread when we have responsible people posting in the thread that can be aware of their own actions. It's just polite, but some people may come here for the first time because of all the hullabaloo.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post

I dunno, I really like when Smith is being serious. And angry Doctor is scary Doctor. When he pulled a gun on a guy in A Town Called Mercy, that was unexpected and chilling. Doctor was so pissed off he forgot his own moral code. I just like the look he gives whenever someone makes him angry. Another example was the episode early in Season 5 with the Silurians. When the woman killed the Silurian soldier and the Doctor found out, you could see in his eyes he was angry and disappointed.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the reason why they split it up into two parts was to spread it out more evenly? -.- Now we don't get the next season till 2014? >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    you could see in his eyes he was angry and disappointed.
    Yeah he was pissed. You could tell it shook his belief in humanity to the core and he had to overcome that bitterness.

---------- Post added 2013-05-18 at 10:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I thought the reason why they split it up into two parts was to spread it out more evenly? -.- Now we don't get the next season till 2014? >.<
    Hasn't this been the format for a while now? I thought that was the whole point of the Christmas specials? I could be crazy since I don't watch them on broadcast TV and see them on Netflix/Amazon after they air.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    season 1 aired in spring 2005
    <a year later>
    season 2 aired in spring 2006
    <a year later>
    season 3 aired in spring 2007
    <a year later>
    season 4 aired in spring 2008
    <2 year gap with just specials>
    season 5 aired in spring 2010
    <a year gap>
    Season 6 aired in Spring 2011
    <2 month gap>
    season 6 concluded in autumn 2011
    <1 year gap>
    season 7 aired in Autumn 2012
    <6 month gap>
    Season 7 concluded in spring 2013
    <1 year gap>
    season 8 airs 2014

if they hadn't split it up into two parts we would be watching season 8 by now as season 7 has taken up both 2012 and 2013 >.<