Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    It took until my third viewing to realize that, when the Doctor is holding up the silver tray to Half-Face and telling him, "You probably can't even remember where you got that face from," the Doctor is also seeing his own reflection in the reverse of the tray; I guess I kept focusing on the droid's reaction during my first two watches.
    yeah the look on capaldi's face when the doctor realizes hes talking about himself is pretty amazing
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It took until my third viewing to realize that, when the Doctor is holding up the silver tray to Half-Face and telling him, "You probably can't even remember where you got that face from," the Doctor is also seeing his own reflection in the reverse of the tray; I guess I kept focusing on the droid's reaction during my first two watches.
    That one I saw the first time, but likely because of how on the nose the metaphor was set up over the course of the episode. I didn't quite see that he recognized he was talking about himself until the 2nd viewing, but it does seem like he knows exactly what he is saying. I thought that whole monologue was pretty spectacular writing. The whole episode was so well written, it was a little unexpected to be honest. If only Smith's last episode was given the same quality instead of saving it for his exit speech.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    That one I saw the first time, but likely because of how on the nose the metaphor was set up over the course of the episode. I didn't quite see that he recognized he was talking about himself until the 2nd viewing, but it does seem like he knows exactly what he is saying. I thought that whole monologue was pretty spectacular writing. The whole episode was so well written, it was a little unexpected to be honest. If only Smith's last episode was given the same quality instead of saving it for his exit speech.
    I don't see it, it seemed like the same quality as Moffat always gives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't see it, it seemed like the same quality as Moffat always gives.
    I have read your opinion.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    why not just hold your breath again?[/spoiler]
    Have you ever held your breath for as long as you possibly can and then tried to hold it again immediately after? I don't mean holding it as long as you think you can, but as long as you possibly can before you pass out? The way they showed the gasping after that was very realistic. Holding your breath again right away isn't so easily accomplished.

As for the robots being fooled by it... well Clara did say that lot was pretty stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I also though Vastra and the Paternoster gang were epic, they NEED a spinoff, fucking stat.

Am I the only one though: that REALLY didn't like the Matt Smith cameo? I thought it felt jarring and kinda stole Peter Capaldi's thunder HE'S the Doctor now, we don't need Matt Smith turning up to sooth Clara, either she accepts the doctors regen and sticks around or she doesn't and fucks RIGHT off.
    Idk about a spinoff, I mean I love the three of them and how they interact but idk about a spinoff. Though in some ways this episode almost felt like a "test" for the spinoff idea.

I have similar feelings to you about the Cameo. I mean on the one hand I liked it and it was nice to see Matt again and here what he told her. But on the other hand I wish she could have just realized all of that stuff on her own. Also how is it possible she still doesn't seem to "get" how all of this works?? This episode made me like a bit less... though to be fair I didn't like her a whole lot before either.

Yea I realized that right off and I almost missed the robot's reactions because I was too interested in what Capaldi was doing. I also really liked all the references to the past when he was discussing what he could wear. I loved the whole part about him realizing he had a Scottish accent. It read to me like it was a part of Amy that stuck with him which was nice.

Overall I think I am really going to like Capaldi's Doctor, which is funny because I was worried about him more than any previous Doctor and previously it always took me a few episodes to warm up to the new one

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I almost forgot! When he said the line about him not being her boyfriend and Clara said she knew, he replied that he didn't say she was the one who made that mistake. That was a little bit of awesome right there

I think the cameo was there for the people that came onboard recently, to tie the Doctor with whom they are familiar to the current Doctor, with whom they will likely be very uncomfortable. It's a connection.
    Personally I found it weak and irritating and definitely "thunder stealing" but I understand why it was done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like Moffat should have probably phoned Noel Clarke to ask him why he stopped the hamming, mugging and slapstick crap after series one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

I have read your opinion.
    And I have read yours. What's yer point?
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-08-26 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    I do believe the Master is returning, so yes, Missy could be the Master.
    Even the name Missy as a diminutive of Master makes a lot of sense, especially as Missy is such an unassuming name and it's a time honoured tradition that the Master is hidden behind a variant of the name.

Works for me. The Master regenerates as a female, calls herself Missy and acts like an insane Mary Poppins really is perfect.
    I instantly thought of her being the master when I watched it

Him regenerating into a her would fit in seeing as there was a bit of a lesbian theme through that first episode it's like moffat is aiming at some sexual equality (not the word I'm looking for but I'm tired)

Out of curiosity was anyone else bugged by a women from the 19th century cheering and going "woo woo woo"? I know Claras speech was great but that bugged me

Not really. People in the 19th century were prone to the same exclamations of excitement as we are today.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    I instantly thought of her being the master when I watched it

Him regenerating into a her would fit in seeing as there was a bit of a lesbian theme through that first episode it's like moffat is aiming at some sexual equality (not the word I'm looking for but I'm tired)

Out of curiosity was anyone else bugged by a women from the 19th century cheering and going "woo woo woo"? I know Claras speech was great but that bugged me
    She's a pretty special woman from the 19th century though.

The Master theory is probably one of the theories I find the most unlikely. First off, why would he care about Clara and the Doctor being together?

Deleted

The Master theory is probably one of the theories I find the most unlikely. First off, why would he care about Clara and the Doctor being together?
    special but still born and raised in a certain time period which would influence her vocabulary and I highly doubt Vastra has ever used that expression for her to pick up and use

well as we've seen in the past the Doctor gets lonely step one demoralise your enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    special but still born and raised in a certain time period which would influence her vocabulary and I highly doubt Vastra has ever used that expression for her to pick up and use

well as we've seen in the past the Doctor gets lonely step one demoralise your enemy
    No no, Missy was the one who was trying to keep them together. Not take them apart.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-08-26 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I have read yours. What's yer point?
    Simply to acknowledge you were not ignored. I'm in the mood to be polite and try to argue less today. If I vehemently disagree with you, there's sometimes no point in even questioning why you feel the way you do nor to explain why I feel the way I do. It's just irrevocable truth. Sometimes that should just be enough without having to do a verbal reenactment of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video.
    BAD WOLF

Simply to acknowledge you were not ignored. I'm in the mood to be polite and try to argue less today. If I vehemently disagree with you, there's sometimes no point in even questioning why you feel the way you do nor to explain why I feel the way I do. It's just irrevocable truth. Sometimes that should just be enough without having to do a verbal reenactment of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video.
    Hm. Fair 'nuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Btw - Just rewatched this episode and they reference the ship being millions of years old and both it and the robots existing since the beginning of time. So yeah...there goes that theory about them being from the future and naming it after a historical figure when she hadn't even existed yet.

Edit: Now, I can see them renaming it as a disguise at some point, but that brings me back to the question of why. ALSO - when he pulls the fuses he sees one called SS Marie Antoinette. Sooo...they had multiple ships named after historical women. I don't think that lends a lot to the theory that they went after her simply b/c of the brain and the name. People are making them out to be less intelligent than they are. (the control node anyways)
    Both Ships "SS Marie Antoinette" and the "SS Madame de Pompadour" were human made Time Ships from the 51st millennium. You know the period of time Captain Jack Harkness came from.

What ever caused the "SS Marie Antoinette" to crash, it crashed in the long past where Dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

Can someone explain the relevance of this please:

http://danssmith.tumblr.com/post/955...e-garden-right

All the tumbltards seem to be in the know and collectively orgasaming over it.

10+ Year Old Account

The Rani, or Romana.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    I feel like Moffat should have probably phoned Noel Clarke to ask him why he stopped the hamming, mugging and slapstick crap after series one.
    Noel has been pretty public about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    Can someone explain the relevance of this please:

http://danssmith.tumblr.com/post/955...e-garden-right

All the tumbltards seem to be in the know and collectively orgasaming over it.
    Because it's the same on-location spot that was used in The Girl In The Fireplace and The Girl Who Waited So the theory is that this Heaven is the same place that we saw back then connecting it all.

Chances are that it's just a re-use of a nice spot to film, called Dryffryn Gardens, just outside Cardiff.

"Okey dokey!"

I caught the reference to the Girl Who Waited, personally, because it was such an evocative episode to me. Especially since it was kind of Amy's respite in her however-long slog she spent there.