Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

BC Worldwide is delighted to announce that the first episode of Doctor Who Series 8 – Peter Capaldi’s debut season in the iconic role – will be screened in cinemas around the world from 23 August 2014.

This year’s screenings follow the success of the global cinema release of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary episode The Day of the Doctor which was screened in over 1500 cinemas around the world, allowing fans to come together to watch the show like never before.

Doctor Who makes a spectacular return to the big screen in the feature-length premiere episode of Series 8; Deep Breath. Directed by acclaimed Director Ben Wheatley (Sightseers, A Field in England) and written by Lead Writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat, the beginning of the Twelfth Doctor’s era stars Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, Jenna Coleman as his companion Clara Oswald and sees the return of fan favourites The Paternoster Gang – Madame Vastra (Neve McIntosh), Jenny Flint (Catrin Stewart) and Strax (Dan Starkey) – in a pulse-racing adventure through Victorian London.

Steven Moffat comments, “Last November the Doctor didn’t just conquer the world on television, he did it in the cinemas too. And like the show-off he is, he can’t resist another go – one taste of the silver screen is never enough. On August 23rd the new Doctor will begin his new adventures on BBC One and in cinemas all over the world. Movie-land beware – Capaldi is coming to get you!”

Doctor Who: Deep Breath will be screened in participating cinemas around the world from 23 August, 2014. More information will be released by BBC Worldwide and participating cinema chains over the coming weeks. For all of the latest information please visit doctorwho.tv/watch/cinema

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fire up that BBC money printing machine...whoooo. But yeah, that's cool. A regular ol' episode I'll watch from the comfort of my living room. Everyone else is free to dress up and geek out at the cinema though!
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Fire up that BBC money printing machine...whoooo. But yeah, that's cool. A regular ol' episode I'll watch from the comfort of my living room. Everyone else is free to dress up and geek out at the cinema though!
    now we know why they made the first episode feature length.

i hope the leak doesnt cut sales
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Do you think we will ever hear from tasha lem ever again? Feels like they were building her up to be the next riversong in the time of the doctor but haven't heard about her since she went wandering off after bringing clara back...
    I have to assume so, there were just too many little tid bits left there not to go back at some point and explore them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I have to assume so, there were just too many little tid bits left there not to go back at some point and explore them.
    i would like to see tasha lem as long as they dont play up the romance parts like they did in her first appearance and river song. even though shes one of the doctors ex girlfriends i feel like capaldi should be a bit less girl crazy.

i think capaldi should be more alien in the romance department.

matt and david were both very flirty doctors and i dont think that suits capaldi

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i would like to see tasha lem as long as they dont play up the romance parts like they did in her first appearance and river song. even though shes one of the doctors ex girlfriends i feel like capaldi should be a bit less girl crazy.

i think capaldi should be more alien in the romance department.

matt and david were both very flirty doctors and i dont think that suits capaldi
    Supposedly that will be the case, which I agree will be a nice change

you know now that they are doing this, i think a 10 year anniversary special is way more likely next year if this does well.

bring back matt, maybe mcgann, probably not david since he just came back, maybe captain jack and martha.

do it up have a nice anniversary episode

- - - Updated - - -

"Yes, there will be additional content in cinemas, which will also be made available at a later date."

WOOP WOOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm why are they doing a cinema thing for it...the 50th anniversary was a nice gift by making it available in cinema, this is just a random episode with no noteworthy moments (compared to the 50th) it seems very greedy and likely to fail 0o

Umm why are they doing a cinema thing for it...the 50th anniversary was a nice gift by making it available in cinema, this is just a random episode with no noteworthy moments (compared to the 50th) it seems very greedy and likely to fail 0o
    I wouldn't say that the first episode with a new Doctor is a "random episode".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    In regards to his point, it certainly is. It's nothing to celebrate, it's not a monumental occasion. It's the 12th time this has happened, the 4th time in recent history. (don't forget war doctor) While I'm not a fan of rampant marketing from an ethical standpoint, because clearly they are trying to take advantage in order to make money because they are a business, as a fan of the show I want them to do whatever crazy thing they think will be good. Doctor Who theme park? Ok. Sign me up. I'll ride a TARDIS coaster while being chased by daleks, cybermen, and crazy light flashing angel shenanigans. I wouldn't see a point in much of what they do, like this theater premier of a show's episode, but it's not going to bother me.
    BAD WOLF

In regards to his point, it certainly is. It's nothing to celebrate, it's not a monumental occasion. It's the 12th time this has happened, the 4th time in recent history. (don't forget war doctor) While I'm not a fan of rampant marketing from an ethical standpoint, because clearly they are trying to take advantage in order to make money because they are a business, as a fan of the show I want them to do whatever crazy thing they think will be good. Doctor Who theme park? Ok. Sign me up. I'll ride a TARDIS coaster while being chased by daleks, cybermen, and crazy light flashing angel shenanigans. I wouldn't see a point in much of what they do, like this theater premier of a show's episode, but it's not going to bother me.
    A random episode is something like The Crimson Horror. Again, the first episode with a new doctor isn't a random episode. Just because it's happened 12 times in 50 years, or 3 times in 10 doesn't mean it's not something important. New doctor means new personality, new story lines ect. The tone of the show changes. I'm not saying it needs to be in the Theater but it's far from a random episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying it needs to be in the Theater but it's far from a random episode.
    Then what are you saying? Because the person who posted it was saying just what I bolded. I don't understand what it is about this forum in general that feels it needs to nitpick every single thing that may somehow illogically lessen their perceived interest. I'm a huge nut for who and I had absolutely no problem, and in fact agree, with what icebeef said.
    BAD WOLF

Then what are you saying? Because the person who posted it was saying just what I bolded. I don't understand what it is about this forum in general that feels it needs to nitpick every single thing that may somehow illogically lessen their perceived interest. I'm a huge nut for who and I had absolutely no problem, and in fact agree, with what icebeef said.
    I'm saying that it's not just a random episode, how was that not clear from either of my posts? It does have noteworthy moments despite what Frozenbeef said. It doesn't NEED to be in the Theater, but the 50th didn't either. This isn't a random mid series episode though, it's the start of a new Doctor. If an episode is going to be shown in a Theater then this is a good one to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If an episode is going to be shown in a Theater then this is a good one to do it.
    I'm glad you finally got to what you've been trying to say this whole time. Picking apart his words in order to just express your own opinion isn't really a good strategy. He clearly disagrees. I do too, but it doesn't bother me. I'm not sure there's much to add to the general conversation. This is a peak time in the show's history, but not because of Capaldi or anything...it's just reached a pinnacle after Smith's run, the anniversary, and whatnot. They are going to capitalize while they can. More power to them. I want Dalek popsicles, weeping angel sour candies, and silence cookies to put in my TARDIS cookie jar that I already have.
    BAD WOLF

I'm glad you finally got to what you've been trying to say this whole time. Picking apart his words in order to just express your own opinion isn't really a good strategy. He clearly disagrees. I do too, but it doesn't bother me. I'm not sure there's much to add to the general conversation. This is a peak time in the show's history, but not because of Capaldi or anything...it's just reached a pinnacle after Smith's run, the anniversary, and whatnot. They are going to capitalize while they can. More power to them. I want Dalek popsicles, weeping angel sour candies, and silence cookies to put in my TARDIS cookie jar that I already have.
    What I've been trying to say the whole time is that it's not a random episode. I'm not sure why that's not clear. I think it's hilarious that you're trying to call me out on picking apart people's posts while doing the exact same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In comparison to the special occasion of the 50th, the doctor joining episodes are as random as hell, you honestly think the intro episodes in the past (Rose, Christmas invasion, eleventh hour) are up to standard to challenge the 50th?

I would also say a doctor leaving episode would be more successful in cinema as well, as people gain an attachment to the doctor and they are more emotional where as the doctor joining episode is watching a drunk person sleep while barfing orange dust for the majority of the episode (No spoilers, just based on the past <3)..

In comparison to the special occasion of the 50th, the doctor joining episodes are as random as hell, you honestly think the intro episodes in the past (Rose, Christmas invasion, eleventh hour) are up to standard to challenge the 50th?

I would also say a doctor leaving episode would be more successful in cinema as well, as people gain an attachment to the doctor and they are more emotional where as the doctor joining episode is watching a drunk person sleep while barfing orange dust for the majority of the episode (No spoilers, just based on the past <3)..
    We can disagree on that but if you want to put them at such wide levels apart then yes, every episode other than the 50th is random. More realistically though, Intro and leaving episodes for Doctors are far from random episodes. As you say leaving episodes "tug on the heartstrings" and there's a sense of discovery for the intro episodes. I thought the 50th was great but I also loved Rose, Christmas Invasion and the Eleventh Hour to say that there are no noteworthy moments in them, even if only in comparison to the 50th, is disingenuous. After all, part of what made the 50th so great is the introduction of the War Doctor.

the episode is feature length so its obvious they planned this from the start.

- - - Updated - - -

rose and christmas invasion? nope. the eleventh hour? yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would also say a doctor leaving episode would be more successful in cinema as well
    I can already see the headlines, "mass suicide in theater after a character said "I don't want to go" "
    Oh, hi.