Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat offtopic:

Ive been reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It is not bad but....nothing really happens in the book. The main character really has not done shit even though I am like 3/4ths the way through. No action at all. Not that it was not bad, but just not what I was expecting. When something bad happens, it is usually fixed without the main character doing anything, I kinda feel like it is Indiana Jones, where if this they just not here, nothing would change at all.

This is like the 3rd or 4th English writer that I have read, they seem very quirky in their writing, I can tell that they are English by just reading it.
    Last edited by apepi; 2015-05-02 at 02:01 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    A) Niel, not Biel Gaiman .

B) American Gods is a wierd one. Tbh though Shadow isn't really MEANT to be the main driving force of the book, that's Wednesday, Shadow is more meant as our avatar within the story, a reluctant passenger through this bizarre adventure. As for action, don't worry shit gets CRAZY towards the end.

C) Check out Neverwhere, it's a MUCH better story, it's also about 1/4 of the length and far more classical in it's construction. Although as a non-brit some of the story (which is heavily based around the London Underground) may not have the impact. I also cannot recommend The Sandman Library enough. It's one of if not the finest pieces of storytelling ever and easily my favourite graphic novel series of all time.

D) Sorry, not sorry. I'm a HUGE Niel Gaiman fanboy .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    A) Niel, not Biel Gaiman .

B) American Gods is a wierd one. Tbh though Shadow isn't really MEANT to be the main driving force of the book, that's Wednesday, Shadow is more meant as our avatar within the story, a reluctant passenger through this bizarre adventure. As for action, don't worry shit gets CRAZY towards the end.

C) Check out Neverwhere, it's a MUCH better story, it's also about 1/4 of the length and far more classical in it's construction. Although as a non-brit some of the story (which is heavily based around the London Underground) may not have the impact. I also cannot recommend The Sandman Library enough. It's one of if not the finest pieces of storytelling ever and easily my favourite graphic novel series of all time.

D) Sorry, not sorry. I'm a HUGE Niel Gaiman fanboy .
    A) B is right by n! okay!

B) That is what I am pretty much getting to understanding now. I actually enjoyed the small town Lakeside, seems very nice place to live. Hopefully it does.

C) I might just after I finish this. After this I kinda finish my 'reading' list in my head. I have heard of the Sandman before, maybe I can see how it is. I loved the graphic novel Locke and Key.

D) Its fine, was kinda looking for someone to talk to about it. I also need to finish Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    A) B is right by n! okay!
    Okay you're forgiven... This time!

B) That is what I am pretty much getting to understanding now. I actually enjoyed the small town Lakeside, seems very nice place to live. Hopefully it does.
    Turns out Lakeside is a real town ! Met a lady that used to live there apparently they REALLY have the frozen lake car raffle thing. So weird...

C) I might just after I finish this. After this I kinda finish my 'reading' list in my head. I have heard of the Sandman before, maybe I can see how it is. I loved the graphic novel Locke and Key.
    It's WELL worth it. It takes a while to get started (the first part, Preludes and Noctures is pretty bad, but it's not his fault he was still writing for DC at the time ), but from book 2 onwards it just gets better and better.

D) Its fine, was kinda looking for someone to talk to about it. I also need to finish Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.
    I kinda need to START Hitchhikers... I always feel like I'm being silently judged by people when I tell them the books I've read, then say I HAVEN'T read Hitchhikers.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

15+ Year Old Account
    t's WELL worth it. It takes a while to get started (the first part, Preludes and Noctures is pretty bad, but it's not his fault he was still writing for DC at the time ), but from book 2 onwards it just gets better and better.

I kinda need to START Hitchhikers... I always feel like I'm being silently judged by people when I tell them the books I've read, then say I HAVEN'T read Hitchhikers.
    I might be burned out on Gaiman after I read this book, a book with no action in it and the main character literally does nothing to help the story move along expect get one or two gods to go on your side, really? Not that it is bad..but it is pretty boring. The premise is nice but execution is pretty boring.

I loved the first hitchikers, I think I stopped after the third or fourth one.

And it is a real place? Huh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might be burned out on Gaiman after I read this book, a book with no action in it and the main character literally does nothing to help the story move along expect get one or two gods to go on your side, really? Not that it is bad..but it is pretty boring. The premise is nice but execution is pretty boring.
    To be fair American Gods is fairly atypical of Gaiman's work, check out Neverwhere or Sandman if you want a real taste of him.

I loved the first hitchikers, I think I stopped after the third or fourth one.
    ... 3rd or 4th... How many are there? I thought there were 3!

And it is a real place? Huh.
    Yup, it's not on my list of places I have to check out before I die, although it'll probably be a bit of a letdown.

To be fair American Gods is fairly atypical of Gaiman's work, check out Neverwhere or Sandman if you want a real taste of him.

... 3rd or 4th... How many are there? I thought there were 3!

Yup, it's not on my list of places I have to check out before I die, although it'll probably be a bit of a letdown.
    Hitchhiker's guide, restaurant at the end of the universe, life, universe and everything, so long and thanks for all the fish and mostly harmless

Mostly harmless was the last one and if memory serves it was kind of an alternate reality thing.
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2015-05-02 at 11:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Hitchhiker's guide, restaurant at the end of the universe, so long and thanks for all the fish and mostly harmless

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, I'll put that on the end of my long-ass list of things I need to read .

It's getting LONG...

new pictures of the new monster, they have a very classic series vibe to them i think, i like it.

as an actor i have to say i just love practical effects, anytime we can get a physical thing whether a puppet or a costume or whatever is a plus in my book

"so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    They look pretty badass! I have to agree with you on the practical effects thing, just rewatch all of Star Wars (may the 4th yo ) and I vastly prefer the practical effects of the OT to the CGI of the PT, Yoda especially just seemed like more of a character when you can see he's a real thing compared to when he's clearly just a tennis ball on a stick they've CGI'd a model over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those things look cool.

BTW, finished American Gods, was one of the most boring books that I have read in a while. Nothing happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those things look cool.

BTW, finished American Gods, was one of the most boring books that I have read in a while. Nothing happens.
    Try Neverwhere, FAR more action packed, or Sandman, the best anything ever (barring the first one)

15+ Year Old Account
    Try Neverwhere, FAR more action packed, or Sandman, the best anything ever (barring the first one)
    Not right now, kinda feel a a it burned by him.

"Alex Kingston has hinted that River Song could make an appearance alongside Peter Capaldi’s Doctor.

Speaking at Mega-con, she said: “All I can say is… spoilers! But what I will say is the sonic screwdriver that I had in Silence in the Library, which had been given to me by the Doctor, is not the sonic screwdriver that has been seen… yet.”

She later added: “I haven’t been told I’m done [on the show].”

On how she thinks River would react to Capaldi’s Doctor: “Well River’s dealt with a lot of Doctor’s faces in the past so I don’t think that it would be a surprise to her.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/alex-ki...done-73448.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    Not right now, kinda feel a a it burned by him.
    Fair enough, but keep it on your lists it's a great book and fairly short.

Deleted
    YEEEESSS OSGOOD IS BACK ! And Zygons too.

Cruel, heartless and shocking? Having being killed by Missy (Michelle Gomez) in the show’s series eight finale ‘Death in Heaven’, the Doctor’s biggest fan and UNIT scientist Osgood, played by Ingrid Oliver, has been brought back by Steven Moffat for Doctor Who series nine.

Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, said, “Osgood is back, fresh from her recent murder at the end of last series. We recently confirmed that Osgood was definitely dead and not returning – but in a show about time travel, anything can happen. The brilliant Ingrid Oliver is back in action. This time though, can the Doctor trust his number one fan?”

The last time we saw Osgood as Kate Lethbridge-Stewart’s assistant was with the Twelfth Doctor during an invasion of Earth by an army of Cybermen led by a new, female incarnation of the Master. This time she’s back in action and comes face-to-face with the shape-shifting extra-terrestrial Zygons, as they also return for the new series. They last appeared in ‘The Day of the Doctor’ for the show’s 50th anniversary episode.

Speaking on set, Ingrid Oliver commented on her reappearance, “As every actor who’s worked on Doctor Who will tell you, there’s always the secret hope you’ll get the call asking you to come back. To actually receive that call is both unexpected and brilliant. The word ‘honour’ gets banded about a lot, but it really is, it’s an honour. Especially because I was so sure Osgood was a gonner after the last series!”

The two-part episode is currently being filmed in Cardiff and is written by Peter Harness (Doctor Who – Kill the Moon, Wallander, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell), produced by Peter Bennett and directed by Daniel Nettheim (Line of Duty, Glue).

Also joining Peter Capaldi (the Doctor) and Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald) and confirmed for guest roles in the double episode is Jemma Redgrave, Jaye Griffiths, Cleopatra Dickens, Sasha Dickens, Abhishek Singh, Todd Kramer, Jill Winternitz, Nicholas Asbury, Jack Parker and Aidan Cook.

Doctor Who series nine will be back on BBC One in Autumn 2015 and further guest cast will be released over the coming months. Doctor Who is a BBC Cymru Wales production for BBC One.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/zygons-...es-9-73465.htm

If I would have to guess, we will see what happens after War, 10 and 11 forced Zygons and Kate to do the peace treaty in Day of the Doctor.
    If I would have to guess even more, we'll see how Missy escaped the Time war ?

idk, they made it sound like this takes place after death in heaven.

either way more osgood is always good.

OSGOOD FOR NEXT COMPANION @_@

- - - Updated - - -

even if its zygon osgood i want her to stay. ZYGON FOR NEXT COMPANION

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    idk, they made it sound like this takes place after death in heaven.

either way more osgood is always good.

OSGOOD FOR NEXT COMPANION @_@

- - - Updated - - -

even if its zygon osgood i want her to stay. ZYGON FOR NEXT COMPANION
    I second this motion. Like a lot.