10+ Year Old Account

What Are the Best JC Recipes?

I was just wondering what jc recipes sell at the highest price and what recipes are important on a general basis. Thanks.
    Borador

Props to Sanistra for the awesome signature.

Any pure int/spirit/strength/agility gem is always worthwhile. Not sure if it's all about parry or dodge for tanks nowadays, but find out and buy the pure gem for that as well.

You'll want to check out your AH on your server and just go through the gems. watch it for a couple days and see what's what. Usually the str/agi gems sell for the most on my server and those are usually the ones I stick up there.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Deleted
    Step 1:
    Go to your auction house.
    Step 2:
    Find out for yourself.

This might sound very flamish, but it's true. It depends on your server.... And it can change in a day.
    The ones that usually sell the most and for the highest price, are the red recipes - but the inferno rubies are usually very expensive too.. I'm making the most money from orange and purple recipes, such as sp/crit, sp/haste, sp/spirit, agility/mastery, agility/hit and agility/stamina.. I've 40 int and 40 agility aswell, but i can't get enough cheap inferno rubies to make a steady profit compared to the above.

Demonseye and ember topaz' i can usually buy for sub 35g and sell for ~100, while inferno rubies costs atleast 80g and sell for 110-150g..

Deleted
    Trying to not be rude, but, did you really have to make a thread about this on a forum? Prices are different on pretty much every server and same with the popularity on gems.

depends entirely on server m8

Do you realize that those are two almost entirely disjoint sets on most servers? JCers tend to focus on the important cuts, which means competition, which means that the profit margin is slim on them. I'm much more likely to make 30G or more on a single cut that is orange or purple than I am on a red.

And don't check the AH, once, check it twice a day for a week if you can. I currently keep every INT/AGI/STR red/purple/orange, all blue, and all yellow recipes stocked (my greens are spotty, and just starting to get into the other red-color stats), so I can tell you that prices depend very much on what your competition is trying to do, and if it doesn't work, sometimes they'll give up. Not so much on the mainstream red gems, but the mixed gems, I'll see a few days of very low prices (low enough that I don't try to compete with them) and then suddenly the prices go back up. Or not, the rare yellow uncut gem price tanked to about 10G each on my server, and I almost never see the cuts selling for more than 25G now, and that has been unchanged with rare exceptions for well over a week.

Oh, and don't expect to make gold with the uncommon (green quality) cuts. One of my steady sources of income is buying those when they go below vendor price.

Quote Originally Posted by zerovlad View Post
    I was just wondering what jc recipes sell at the highest price and what recipes are important on a general basis. Thanks.
    What gems do you personally find the most useful in raids, PVE, and PVP, such as a +Spirit gem? You'll see that those are selling with low profit but high velocity on your AH.

What gems do you think have some limited or specialized use, such as a +Agility/+Hit gem? Those should be somewhat profitable on your AH, with less velocity.

And those gems that are situationally useful, like a +Dodge gem? Probably on the AH, high profit with low velocity.
    Last edited by Blacksmithking; 2011-01-19 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekzilla View Post
    Oh, and don't expect to make gold with the uncommon (green quality) cuts. One of my steady sources of income is buying those when they go below vendor price.
    Very good advice, I too am seeing a lot of competition on red-color cuts which means low profits, however I disagree a bit with the above. If you can find a decent green quality BoE gem pattern, you might make some profit. I bought the parry stamina recipe for 100g and I am making a steady profit because I am the only one selling that particular cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karakkonor View Post
    Marksmanship . . . feels like you're driving a car with square wheels and a steering wheel made out of styrofoam (the cheap kind that breaks far too easily)(and is REALLY squeaky).

Even blue quality cuts have plummeted on my server, so JC is becoming less lucrative quickly for me. The fact that elementium ore is so cheap now is very bad for JC's on my server. People just keep prospecting and cutting gems all day long...pages and pages of them, and undercutting like crazy. Most blues are down to about 20-30 gold.

I make more profit prospecting and selling the bottom tier materials, since they are also needed for the dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Acker View Post
    Very good advice, I too am seeing a lot of competition on red-color cuts which means low profits, however I disagree a bit with the above. If you can find a decent green quality BoE gem pattern, you might make some profit. I bought the parry stamina recipe for 100g and I am making a steady profit because I am the only one selling that particular cut.

If there's a profit to be made selling green quality cuts, it will definitely be from the world drop recipes, so you're right there. However, on my server the rare defenders cut sells for less than an uncut nightstone (it's one of the uncuts that hasn't lost value since it's needed for the occasional JC daily).

Personally, even as the 800lb gorilla on my server's AH, I don't expect JC to do more than keep up with my normal expenses this late after the expansion was released. There will be surges as new Tiers of raiding get added, and a big surge when epic gems are introduced. I think I need to rattle my cage a bit and look into non-gem markets. For example, at current ore prices, I can prospect ore, turn the uncommon gems into rings/necklaces, DE, and sell the mats, and have that cover the cost of the ore, the rare gems are pure profit. But that's a lot more work than I'm doing now, so I'm kinda "don't wanna!"

Edit: Oh, the first people to get their hands on the new meta gem recipes will have a big surge as well, I think. Between the direct throughput stats and improved gem requirements, those are going to be VERY popular, and BoE world-drop means that it will take deliberate effort to get into that market, or a whole lot of luck.
    Last edited by Geekzilla; 2011-01-19 at 09:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh on my server the worst ones to buy are generally the red ones, because for whatever reason, they are almost always at or below the price of uncut rubies. So I've mainly focused on ones that make the cheaper gems more profitable. For example, smooth amberjewels only sell for ~28g, but thats still a useful recipe to have bc the uncut are down to 10g or less so its easy profit with almost no cost. Ember Topaz and Demonseye tend to have the best profit margins though, just depending on which cut is popular at any given time. There is almost always one that is over 110g, and the uncuts are only 40-50g. For uncommon gems, I either save them for their respective dailies (to sell for ~30-40g each, sometimes a lot higher if if you get the same daily 2 days in a row), or craft them into rings/necklaces and send to my enchanter alt for de'ing.

Deleted
    For me, 40 agil, 40 mastery, 20agil and 20 maastery are all selling well on a dailly basis with the 60 stam gems being the cheapest at 50-80g a pop. The agil and agil/mastery gems both sell usually for 100-130g a pop and mastery is always around the 70-100g mark depending on the day.

Rest of the blue gems i sell as uncuts as the cut versions usually sell for less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the advice everybody.
    Borador

Props to Sanistra for the awesome signature.