Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Feral Tanks - LEGIT tanks now! But after patch, now what?

OK, so before the patch I had 33k armor, and now i have 44k. Which is amazing, not QQn here. And now that I take way less damage, I can reforge everything to exp/hit for threat, right? 'Cause while I had 33% dodge and didn't take a lot of damage, missing my interrupt on Maloriak or Omnitron sucked. Another thing is now I can easily tank the adds on fights on Maloriak without getting roflpwnd.

SO I guess my main question is, "Where to now?" Should we continue reforging dodge, or go for threat?

Also, I took half the damage the warrior and pally tanks took on Omnitron, Magmaw, Conclave, Maloriak and Argaloth, so yeah Druid tanks rock once again. ;lD

Deleted
    Do you really need someone else to tell you how to play your character?

User was infracted for this post. - Simca
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-02-18 at 12:52 AM.

Are you in a 10 man raiding guild and relied upon for interrupts? If not then you are STILL better off sticking to survival/mitigation stats and not threat stats since our threat is still more than enough for a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any threat issues?

If yes, then reforge for threat stats.

If no, then reforge for avoidance.

I'm kind of surprised that a raiding tank can't figure this out himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ilver View Post
    Do you really need someone else to tell you how to play your character?
    he's just asking for help, dont post useless posts if u don't have an answer or something USEFULL to say..
    85 Druid: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...jinî/advanced afk, not playing/gearing

85 Paladin: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Norruh/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    HOW HARD IS IT TO AVOID FIRE THAT COVERS HALF THE ROOM, ITS NOT LIKE YOU DONT SEE IT.

Why do you need to reforge hit and expertise? If you're not having threat issues, it's not a concern. Keep a Fluid Death and hit food available for interrupt fights. All I have done since patch is Baradin Hold, but my threat maintained a steady 28k, bursting over 40k during berserk. Continue aiming for avoidance and keep your healers loving you, imo. (I took 33% of the damage in Baradin Hold, the warrior tank took 47%, the rest was split across the raid, he could have just gotten more consuming shadows or was standing in fire, but still, this is a notable difference in damage taken.)

Quote Originally Posted by najini View Post
    he's just asking for help, dont post useless posts if u don't have an answer or something USEFULL to say..
    Oh the irony...

Quote Originally Posted by phyrix View Post
    Do you have any threat issues?

If yes, then reforge for threat stats.

If no, then reforge for avoidance.

I'm kind of surprised that a raiding tank can't figure this out himself.
    This pretty much. I run with no rogues and am very lucky to get a MD ever and I had no threat issues last night. You can see my hit/expertise in my armory and I think I've maybe reforged one piece into expertise. From what I can tell comparing my main and my less-geared alt (yes, I have 2 druids with bear specs, my alt is primary boomkin though), the nerfs will affect you less the more gear you have without really focusing on threat specific stats. I'm sure someone with better gear than me can confirm/deny this as well.

Your armor didn't actually go up from the patch... was just a tooltip clarification. HOWEVER, if you previously had the talent PotP, until yesterday you might have had it ghosted (still had it working for you even though they removed it from the game) and yesterday's patch removed the ghosting effect.

TL : DR, your armor hasnt changed, and your total mitigation might have gone down (emphasis on might have)

---------- Post added 2011-02-09 at 09:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    This pretty much. I run with no rogues and am very lucky to get a MD ever and I had no threat issues last night. You can see my hit/expertise in my armory and I think I've maybe reforged one piece into expertise. From what I can tell comparing my main and my less-geared alt (yes, I have 2 druids with bear specs, my alt is primary boomkin though), the nerfs will affect you less the more gear you have without really focusing on threat specific stats. I'm sure someone with better gear than me can confirm/deny this as well.
    Our feral tank is primarily full 359s with some 372s and he noticed his threat went down significantly, he almost lost threat on a trash mob in BoT when he went afk at 50% where as before he would come back at 5% and still have a good 100-250k threat lead
    Last edited by Ruchika; 2011-02-09 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruchika View Post

Our feral tank is primarily full 359s with some 372s and he noticed his threat went down significantly, he almost lost threat on a trash mob in BoT when he went afk at 50% where as before he would come back at 5% and still have a good 100-250k threat lead
    Yes you actually have to work to generate aggro now which is as it should be lol. As the raid leader, I am usually monitoring omen and of course I can see the difference between my threat pre-patch and post patch. My point was simply that if you are doing your job, you're not going to have threat issues.

Edit: just realized your point, it's still early here

Your armor didn't actually go up from the patch... was just a tooltip clarification.
    So the 33k armor to 44k armor in the stats change was just a tooltip clarification? So we did not receive an armor boost from the patch?

10+ Year Old Account
    The armor did go up, A LOT to be precise, I actually feel much more confident while tanking big mob packs now.

Your armor didn't actually go up from the patch... was just a tooltip clarification. HOWEVER, if you previously had the talent PotP, until yesterday you might have had it ghosted (still had it working for you even though they removed it from the game) and yesterday's patch removed the ghosting effect.

TL : DR, your armor hasnt changed, and your total mitigation might have gone down (emphasis on might have)
    You're sorta right, but slightly misled. Every single bear has had their armour buffed. That is without question.

It depends on whether you notice it because of the ghosted PotP talent if you even notice it. 2 situations:

-You were a bear at the time of the shattering, you had +12% damage reduction +6% AP through Cataclysm. Now that has been removed and since we all have the Armour buff, you take net 12% more spell damage but less overall physical damage. Your threat is slightly nerfed.

-You weren't a bear at the time of the shattering, since Cataclysm hit, you have been taking 'intended' damage. The ghost talent was removed, but it has no effect since you didn't have it anyway, therefore your net gain is +Armour and you will be taking the same net amount of Spell Damage but less net Physical. Your threat is the same.

Full post at: http://theincbear.com/thick-hide-theorycraft/

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

---------- Post added 2011-02-09 at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    So the 33k armor to 44k armor in the stats change was just a tooltip clarification? So we did not receive an armor boost from the patch?
    We 100% did get an armour buff, it's effects varies depending on your situation. See my post or read Reesi's blog: http://theincbear.com/thick-hide-theorycraft/
    Last edited by Shizznizz; 2011-02-09 at 04:04 PM.

Yesterday before raid I was browsing through the main page and saw a blue post about this armor "buff" that druids are talking about. the OP was a bear her/his-self and was talking about how they felt this buff was OP. A blue (Bashiok I think) posted that thick hide had its tooltip changed and that they believed that what people were perceiving as an armor buff was really just the tooltip updating and that if you went out and had a mob beat on you, the damage should be the same as before tuesday (assuming you didnt have ghosted PotP).

Here's the link: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...-over-the-mark

Edit: went through two of my guild's logs and there's a neglibile difference in the average melee swing damage he took.
    Last edited by Ruchika; 2011-02-09 at 04:16 PM.

Armor went up, threat went down. I'm reforging my new gear for more threat for the time being.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    That's where it's unclear because some say one thing and Blizzard says the other. Unless we get raw data of a boss hitting a player before and after we won't know. They also can't have the ghost talent bug. If Blizzard is telling the truth then we have always had this amount of armor. The tooltip change also caused the armor in the player screen to change leading us to believe our armor got buffed when it's been that way the whole time. That's Blizzard's story at least...

I didn't notice any real changes last night when I stepped in as the second tank. The threat change was noticeable but only on tank swaps where I had max vengeance and the other tank didn't. My omen wasn't blaring at me nonstop.

---------- Post added 2011-02-09 at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Olumdril View Post
    Armor went up, threat went down. I'm reforging my new gear for more threat for the time being.
    Your threat was brought down to the level of the other 3 tanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Shizznizz View Post
    You're sorta right, but slightly misled. Every single bear has had their armour buffed. That is without question.

It depends on whether you notice it because of the ghosted PotP talent if you even notice it. 2 situations:

-You were a bear at the time of the shattering, you had +12% damage reduction +6% AP through Cataclysm. Now that has been removed and since we all have the Armour buff, you take net 12% more spell damage but less overall physical damage. Your threat is slightly nerfed.

-You weren't a bear at the time of the shattering, since Cataclysm hit, you have been taking 'intended' damage. The ghost talent was removed, but it has no effect since you didn't have it anyway, therefore your net gain is +Armour and you will be taking the same net amount of Spell Damage but less net Physical. Your threat is the same.

Full post at: http://theincbear.com/thick-hide-theorycraft/

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    Are you sure the 12% DR was only ghosting from PotP? Because if you notice, Natural Reaction http://www.wowhead.com/spell=57880 has the 12% reduction from PotP in it and I know it was like this in 4.0.3 as well. So if the tooltip is correct, we got the armor AND the 12% DR.

Post Patch: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...3#tab-dmgspell
    Pre Patch: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1...5#tab-dmgspell

His displayed armor in the character window went up around 9k armor, but his average damage taken per swing only went down by around 1,000 damage. To me this is proof enough that it was a tooltip clarification.
    Last edited by Ruchika; 2011-02-09 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Are you sure the 12% DR was only ghosting from PotP? Because if you notice, Natural Reaction http://www.wowhead.com/spell=57880 has the 12% reduction from PotP in it and I know it was like this in 4.0.3 as well. So if the tooltip is correct, we got the armor AND the 12% DR.
    Its saying that some players were getting both 12% DR (24%). For some people its a buff, for others its a slight nerf.

Deleted
    Since when, again, Skull bash can miss?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by najini View Post
    Irony
    *more characters so i can post this*