Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Blizzard-Dictator Because We Said So

Can refer here for more background information.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...You-Lack-Logic

After posting the same thread on the Blizzard forums, I was forum banned for 72 hours for Spam/Troll. I’ve read the TOS in the past and understand Blizzard can ban whoever they want for whatever reason they want. A dictator like attitude but in the past their bans always seem to be explained and justified.

So I decided to ask in an email what part of the post was considered spam/troll because the original link Blizzard sent me quoted the entire post. I asked so I could alter the offending parts of the post in order to repost it on the forums.

“Explain what part of the following post is trolling/spamming the forums so I can fix it and repost it. Whoever banned my account just linked the whole post to me.”

“Hello,

After reviewing your account's forum record, we have determined that the appropriate action was taken and will not be repealed. While the Code of Conduct does list penalties for certain categories each incident is reviewed on a case by case basis as stated in the Code of Conduct:
    http://battle.net/community/conduct

"Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to suspend your access to these forums at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by these guidelines.

We reserve the right to evaluate each incident on a case by case basis. The action we take may be more lenient or more severe than those listed under each category."

It's important for us to provide a civil and friendly environment on the forums, where all players can feel comfortable sharing their thoughts with each other. Your support in helping us maintain this goal is appreciated. The proper method for addressing GM concerns was also provided in the suspension notes.

- The World of Warcraft Community Team”

I’ve sent another email again asking for what part of the post is considered spam/trolling and awaiting a response.

How is an author of a banned book to learn what parts are considered inappropriate if he is not given a reason other than "because we said so". How is a convicted criminal to learn if the court only tells him "because we can" without informing him what actions he performed violated the law?

Blizzard can ban you for no reason at all and never tell you why.

Your comparisons are laughable.

Deleted
    mmochampion forums are better anyway

Rules, there for a reason. Punishment, there for those who break the rules.

Don't like Blizzards rules? Post here.
    “We boil at different degrees.”

Don't break the rules,
    don't get banned.

Simple, really.

Deleted
    wtb diablo 3 so we don't have to use stupid forums like world of warcraft b.net

Sounds like your issue isn't that they are dictator like, but that they are going through this process so much that you got a form letter back instead of one personalized to your particular case. Perhaps you could imagine how many people probably complain about their bans everyday and how much time it would take to write each person an e-mail saying exactly what they did wrong.

Dictators usually go to your home and tell you what to do.

If you go to Blizzard's Forums, you're going to their home and tell them what to do. It is their product, after all.

And the MMO Champ forums are basically Boubouille's home, so... don't brake his stuff and everything should be okay ;P

Seems like Blizz is on the defensive lately. I can't really blame them though, the forums were getting ridiculous with all of the troll posts and non constructive threads that spiraled out of control. They are getting real strict now, they saw something they didn't like in your post and nixed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurainsoph View Post
    C

Blizzard can ban whoever they want for whatever reason they want.
    It's not a democracy. Quit whining and comparing this to politics.

I recently got the same deal, and I replied and fought it can got the same reply you did... ie we did the right thing, shut up.

What I posted was a video of Manimal turning into a bird which took about a minute and a half.
    I called the post How to fix Tauren Druid Herbing

I thought it was clearly funny and not serious.
    I had people FLIP OUT and say that no way should shape shifting take a minute long cast!
    like that would ever make it to the game! Come on people!

Anyway, week long ban for trolling. Go figure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselpower View Post
    Tip: Don't go to the official forums. Right now, it's like Nazi Germany in there.
    Thank god for the warning, I had just opened a tab with the official forums and when I read this I went to check it. Managed to dodge some permabans and hide behind my firewall. It didn't take long for them to find me but I quickly closed the tab and barely prevented my account from being deleted.

It's a motherfucking warzone in there. Do not visit that site, ever. If you have a tab open, CLOSE IT ASAP! -Because it might just save your life.

OT: "there is no retardation on Blizzard’s part there!" you indirectly called them retards and as Strakha said, blizz can ban you for no reason at all.

try reading the EULA and the ToS

---------- Post added 2011-02-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselpower View Post
    Tip: Don't go to the official forums. Right now, it's like Nazi Germany in there.
    they are trying to re-ban all the ppl who were banned before the forums changed.

Honestly I think Blizzard is only recently cracking down a bit more -- for a VERY long time I was surprised how much they did "let slide" considering they are "real" company and their product is arguably the most popular in its market segment across the entire world right now with millions of devoted customers.

Also -- MMO-Champ is way more harsh and fast on the ban cannon than Blizzard. IMO. Of course part of this is now that the new forum revamp of blizzard they actually reduced the amount of forum sections - so there "channels" of discussion are much more narrow than on mmo which allows much more ranging array of topics.

Lastly, its blizzard's board they can do what they like as well as whoever owns mmo (is that this Boubouille dude I guess?) can do what he likes.

The only added sting is blizzard's ban have much more kick to them...because they can actually influence your game play (i'm talking in EXTREME cases).

MMO-champs -- just make a new forum character...BAM you just got back on the forum and avoided the ban. Suggestion to MMO-Champions to give their bans more weight...tie the ban atleast to an IP address and NOT just a forum name. Then the ban won't be such a joke.

FYI...I realize I myself will probably get banned for the honesty of this post....but that's ok.

So you decide to make a thread called "Blizzard. You Lack Logic" ... on their official forums?

The same forums that has gone to hell with with death threats, calling blizzard out, whinging and childish and immature language?

You know, just because you have an idea, doesn't mean you should say it. They have different forums/areas of their site where they can receive feedback from players if they had problems with a GM. Just posting on their general forums is not a good idea >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Xicor View Post
    try reading the EULA and the ToS

---------- Post added 2011-02-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

they are trying to re-ban all the ppl who were banned before the forums changed.
    How about you read the third sentence I posted?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has a right to ban you for what ever reason they want with out justifying it. Just remember that before you go any further.

Personally though you may have a reason to complain, but doing so through emails is always going to give you a generic response, or they will simply avoid your question.

When ever dealing with blizzard in a manner such as this you need to speak with a real person over the phone and force the issue. Remain respectful and polite though otherwise you'll get a generic *click* and get hung up on. I'm not sure if there's a specific number to call to appeal a ban though ;/

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizards Hat View Post
    It's not a democracy. Quit whining and comparing this to politics.
    I couldn't agree with you more. This has nothing to do with politics, it's an astoundingly simple case of following the rules.