Rift - New Player's FAQ

This is a Q&A style posts, this is not for very in-depth discussions, ask your question, will answer it to the best of my ability, and then update the original post with both question and answer.

Rift, is a new online fantasy mmorpg, with the early release of date of Feb 24, 2011.tThis post is merely a faq, if you wish to continue a active debate, or general discussion on aspect of the game, i suggest you read this post firsthttp://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Guidelines

Here goes the Q & A portion of the post.

Q.My character, what can i do, and how does it go?

A.Player characters are created at the start of the game, and character creation features many customization features, including Facial morph, hair, beard, tattoos and color scheme.Player character currently have a max of level 50.

Q.The controls, what are they.
    A.Default controls, are as follows.
    movement keys are Q W E A S D
    Q is strafe left, W is forward movement, E is strafe right, A is turn left, S if move backwards D is turn right.
    Left click on the mouse is used to target, or select item, where as right click on the mouse is to interact with objects, mobs, and everything else in the game world.

Q.How does the class system works?
    A.You choose a calling (Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Mage). Your calling determines what armor and what souls your character will use.

You start with one soul, think of a soul as a skill tree. At max level you have 51 points that you can spend in your soul tree. Over time you can attune (equip) up to three souls. Some souls within your calling may allow you to mix some of the common mmorpg archetypes (ie. tanks with a bit healing, rogues with bit of tanking, etc).

Q. How many "soul points" (AKA Talent points) will i have at max level?

A.At level 50, a player will have a total of 66 soul points to put into any three soul trees they have.

Q. What if i want to "respec"

A.If you have spent points on a soul tree you will need to visit a trainer to reset all of your soul points, there is a small monetary fee.

Q.Are the professions?How do they work?

A.Yes,your character can have a total of 3 crafting/gathering professions, which include
    Gathering Professions
    Butchering (Gathering of skins and other useful item from the corpses of slain creatures)
    Mining (Gathering useful metals from ore nodes found around the gameworld.)
    Foraging (Gathering of useful wood and herb nodes around the game world)
    Crafting Professions
    Apothecary (Creates creates Flasks, Potions, Philters, Tonics, and Vials.)
    Armoursmith (Creates plate and mail armours)
    Artificer (Creates jewelry and caster weaponry. )
    Outfitting (Creates cloth and leather items.)
    Runecrafter (creates runes, used to augment weapons and gear.)
    Weaponsmithing (Creates melee weapons and bows.)

Q.What gathering professions go with what crafting profession?

A.Runecrafting does not use a gathering profession
    Weaponsmithing benefits mostly from Mining, but also uses Foraging to collect wood for certain creatable items.
    Artificing benefits from both Foraging and mining.
    Apothecary benefits from both Butchery, and Foraging.
    Outfitter benefits from Butchery.
    Armoursmithing benefits from both Butchering, and Foraging.

Q.What about grades and prices for professions?

A.There are four grades in each profession, and new grades are required once you reach the maximum of the previous grade, and pay a correctly high profession trainer to teach you the next grade, they are as follows.
    Novice is for skill from 0-74, and costs 10 silver to learn.
    Skilled if for skill 75-149, and costs 50 silver to learn
    Expert is for skills 150-224, and costs 2 gold and 50 silver to learn.
    Master is for skills 225-300, and costs 12 gold and 50 silver to learn.

Q. Are there mounts? What about flying and swimming?

A.Yes currently there are 3 classes of mounts, that only require a requisite level to be able to use.A 60% speed increase mount able to be used at Level 1, a 90% speed increase mount usable at lvl 40, and a 110% speed mount usable at lvl 50.The mounts are purchased, and then "learned" and able to be used so long as your teh correct level, no training required.

Q.What about Gyphons, is their some sort of fast travel network?

A.Yes, currently there is a form of fast travel,called porticulums, which first have to be found to activate.

Q. do i get a heartstone, or warp home ability?

A. Yes, known as soul recall, it is a ability with a 1 hour cooldown, that will warp you to a porticulum master of your choosing (you set your home by paying a porticulum master a fee)

Q.What type of roles can group member in a party or raid have?

A.Along with the standard 3 roles of tank, healer, and dps, their is a fourth role, generally called a Support role, these are classes who can say dps, or healer, but their main contribution to the group is buffs for their allies, or debuffs for enemies rather then being a straightup dps, or healer, or tank, work to improve all members of the group.

Q.Pvp, what does it do?

A.PvP in Rift is accomplished by both world PvP events, and by battlegrounds (called war fronts) events. The current model of pvp follows a rock paper scissors style system.Where their are hard counter spec, that can beat your, but their are hard-counter specs, that beat that hard-counter spec, that your able to beat.

Q.What type of servers are there? Are they different in terms of gameplay from one another?

A.There are four different types of servers, to include, Pve (player versus enviroment) PvP (player versus player) PvP-Rp (player versus player-roleplaying) and Rp (roleplaying). There are difference in rules between all four types of servers, and in terms of gameplay, PvE and Rp servers have stronger NPC guards to discourage pvp style raids on faction cities, and player have to actively flag themselves while in the world to be attack-able by the apposite faction, where as in PvP and PvP-RP servers, players are always flagged in the world, and towns and quest hub have weaker guards to encourage the players themselves to defend the hubs.

Q. What is this dynamic content you are talking about?

A. Dynamic content means the world around you changes as you play, this takes the form of "Rift" that open almost anywhere on teh map, that will spawn adds, and require the playerbase to attack, if they are not attacked, eventually the rift will become stronger, and form a stronghold/foothold, That will eventually spawn invasions of mobs that will attack nearby quest hubs, and players of the zone.
    (In Soviet rift, mobs raid you!)

Q.The UI, it's so...WoW-ish!!

A.Rift features that ability to customize the size, placement, and opacity of almost all parts of the UI.To access this feature, open your menu (or press esc) and select Layout, then move and re-size whatever you want.

Q.Instances, Parties, and raids, Oh my. what type of group content is there?
    A. Rift features five man instances, 20 man raid instances, and special group specific 10 man raid "rifts".

Q.Raid rifts, what are those?
    A. Raid rifts, are similar to regular rift, with a few exceptions, instead of being opened randomly, or with a players "planar lure" ability, a raid rift requires certain materials to be opened, and the group that opens the rift will have the unique and better gear/experience reserved for that group, and that group alone, however since raid rifts take place in the outside world, other players are still allowed to come by and choose to help, or hinder (if it is a pvp/pvp-rp server) however, the increase rewards from it being a raid rift are reserved for the group that opened it.
    Last edited by TRAHAEARN; 2011-02-25 at 08:49 PM.
    I'm the biggest asshole you will ever meet, if you got a problem with it, grow some thicker skin.

Worth mentioning that while you can have a max of 51pts in one soul, you get 66 total points to allocate between them all. Also, you can have up to 4 different specs to switch between.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    Worth mentioning that while you can have a max of 51pts in one soul, you get 66 total points to allocate between them all. Also, you can have up to 4 different specs to switch between.
    thanks, will update op.
    Last edited by TRAHAEARN; 2011-02-25 at 08:50 PM.
    I'm the biggest asshole you will ever meet, if you got a problem with it, grow some thicker skin.

Deleted
    Hey, i have a question about movement keys. Can you keybind middle mouse button to move your hole character like in WoW as many other MMOs don't have this feature, and at the moment ive only come across WoW that lets you use this feature. But in WoW you basically keybind W to middle mouse button and you can basically move your hole character from forward to left to right by just holding down the middle mouse button while rotating the mouse. (Hope that makes sense)
    Last edited by mmoc0144a4d45a; 2011-03-04 at 01:46 AM.

Can you move forward by pressing right&left mouse keys together?
    Is there an auto-walk button?

TY

Edit: OP is banned..
    Last edited by justalife; 2011-03-17 at 06:32 AM.

Feroxine
    Quote Originally Posted by justalife View Post

Can you move forward by pressing right&left mouse keys together?
    Is there an auto-walk button?

TY

Edit: OP is banned..
    You can use the 'Num Lock' key to autorun and the adjacent key to walk.