Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I had a dream...

Where I was on some ship thing hitting golf balls with Robert Downey Jr. (as Tony Stark). He then asked me about dragons, so I began explaining the WoW dragons to him when I got to the Red Aspect, I went to show him some little tiny red dragons but one had banged it's head and was twitching. I felt incredibly sad, and was conscious in this dream, so when I woke up I decided I didn't to hurt things in wow anymore and wanted to be a healer. For some reason, a Druid was the first thing that popped into my head. So I want to be a Restro Druid. Freakin' dreams eh? How do they work?

Anywho... it's probably in the stickies and stuff, but the point of this thread was for me to ask you guys for some pointers on starting out and which healing addons would be helpful and whatnot. I've had zero experience healing in the 6 years of playing this game.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there are some stickies about druid healing specifically, but as far as general stuff goes, here are some thoughts:

1) It's not mandatory anymore with the built in raid frames, but I STRONGLY recommend you look into a healing addon. Possible options include Healbot (what I use and love), Vuhdo (not a memory hog), Grid (people pair this with Clique), etc.

2) Learn your spells. Learn their mana costs, how much they heal for, what situations they're good in. Every healer has a small, slow but efficient heal; a fast, big but stupidly expensive heal; and a slow, big and relatively expensive heal (but this one has a kind of efficiency to it because it heals for more than the fast and expensive heal for about the same cost). Different classes will also have different spells that have certain utility to them.

3) Pick a character that feels good to you. You're going with Druid, so your options are Tauren, Troll, Night Elf or Worgen. It's very important for an enjoyable healing leveling experience that you enjoy the way your character moves and feels. Personally, casting animations can make or break a character for me (I know, petty, but corny casting animations means I don't really get attached to them). Consider also racial abilities.

Thanks, concerning addons, what I'm looking to do is bind spells to mouse clicks with left, middle and right and shift, ctrl and alt modifiers. And currently I use Grid as my raid frame, but only cause I can keep it small since I only use it to know what the raids status is.
    Priest Warrior

Screw healing....... don't eat salsa and watch Ironman before you go to bed.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Thanks, concerning addons, what I'm looking to do is bind spells to mouse clicks with left, middle and right and shift, ctrl and alt modifiers. And currently I use Grid as my raid frame, but only cause I can keep it small since I only use it to know what the raids status is.
    I do exactly that with Healbot. I tried Grid, but I personally couldn't get used to it. Healbot can also be resized to whatever you feel like.

If you decide to try Healbot, and have questions about it, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help out.

Because you mensionned tony stark i wont start qqing about the L2 search thing.

But i would suggest NE, because shadowmelt is the best racial there is. ( IMO)
    And make your own spec. Read the talents and make it your own way. Best way to L2 play.

And healbot plays the game for you. Do it raw like a real drood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healbot is terrible, use grid or vuhdo. If you are just starting out I would just use vuhdo since they take around the same amount of time to set up but vuhdo brings some things for resto druid grid does not.
    http://druidlove.wordpress.com/2010/...a-resto-druid/

For everything else, and this, the sticky has it all.

First thing you should do is open your spell book and read every single ability you have. Did you know druids can dispel enrage effects? Most don't it seems.

There is nothing worse than people who don't even know what the class they play can do.

I think I'm going to go with Grid+Clique for starting off, Vuhdo's set up seems a little complicated for a beginner.

Thanks for the info so far though!
    Priest Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    Healbot is terrible, use grid or vuhdo. If you are just starting out I would just use vuhdo since they take around the same amount of time to set up but vuhdo brings some things for resto druid grid does not.
    http://druidlove.wordpress.com/2010/...a-resto-druid/
    Healbot is not 'terrible', I would expect more from a mod. Healed 8/13 HC with healbot, as well as 12/12 HC in icc with it, extremely easy to setup keybinds for spells and macros, as well as setting up debuffs, marks, etc.

Try each addon until you find one your comfortable with, personal preference > someone claiming an addon is 'terrible'.
    Last edited by Mudkiper; 2011-03-05 at 08:22 PM.

nice dream!!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

I was in the same boat as you - never healed in my life, but wanted to learn how to druid heal. Honestly, although it may be mind draining, leveling through dungeons was GREAT for me. You're not going to learn how to heal by questing. Leveling through dungeons slowly got me accustomed to all the spells as the character learned them, and got me into a rhythm of healing. Doing dungeon after dungeon after dungeon allows you to pick up on healing instincts and by the time I hit 85, I was perfectly comfortable healing. As far as addons, I found Vuhdo incredibly easy to use. You can make it as complex or as simple as you want, and it's more visually appealing than Grid (I switched from Grid to Vuhdo partway through leveling) :P Best of luck to you!

Deleted
    Hi! Sorry for being off-topic but I just noticed:

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    ...I went to show him some little tiny red dragons but one had banged it's head and was twitching. I felt incredibly sad, and was conscious in this dream, so when I woke up I decided I didn't to hurt things in wow anymore and wanted to be a healer.
    And Ansibles signature: "I'm going to punch that dragon right in the face!"

Somewhat funny and ironic IMO. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    Healbot is not 'terrible', I would expect more from a mod. Healed 8/13 HC with healbot, as well as 12/12 HC in icc with it, extremely easy to setup keybinds for spells and macros, as well as setting up debuffs, marks, etc.

Try each addon until you find one your comfortable with, personal preference > someone claiming an addon is 'terrible'.
    People have healed the hardest encounter with no addons. That means nothing. Healbot is indeed terrible compared to other mods. Even compared to the basic Blizzard ui. It has little to do with personal preference and more how an add interacts with WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the way most people learned on how to be a healer is healing for a low level. Like, when doing low-level dungeons, start healing.
    Thank the lord we have dual spec, so you can heal and not cripple your level progression through questing and what not.

In addition: I play a holy priest, resto shaman and resto druid (I really..just love healing) and the only add-on I use that has any relevance to healing is PitBull frames....because its pretty. Otherwise, I don't really use any other healing addons and I'm one of the main healers in my guild and have been (my Shaman is my main though). For raid frames, I just use Blizzard's built-in raid frames.
    Last edited by Jademist; 2011-03-05 at 08:50 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Funny story about dreams, last night i had probably the wierdest dream i have ever had. I got a bj from Hitlers gf back in the day, and he caught us. He then said you had better find something useful to do so he didnt have to kill me. I woke up and was like wtf

People have healed the hardest encounter with no addons. That means nothing. Healbot is indeed terrible compared to other mods. Even compared to the basic Blizzard ui. It has little to do with personal preference and more how an add interacts with WoW.
    It's not. Trust us.
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omidmash View Post
    It's not. Trust us.
    I've used it along with every other healing mod out there. If you want to look up all the extensive testing multiple people(a lot of whom are resto druids) have done you can just google grid VS healbot or healbot vs raidframe or any combination and see the testing done. Healbot has been on the lowest end of the totem pole for many years when it comes to useful healing addons. And like said, it's not just functions it brings since most addons are similar.

If you are a brand new healer healbot was fine. Now, the blizzard raid frames have pretty much over taken them. For anyone who seriously raids grid and vuhdo are incomparable. Though, this discussion has been on this and the wow forums thousands of times and no matter how many people give facts and proof those who want to claim healbot is equal are going to do so. No real point discussing it anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used it along with every other healing mod out there. If you want to look up all the extensive testing multiple people(a lot of whom are resto druids) have done you can just google grid VS healbot or healbot vs raidframe or any combination and see the testing done. Healbot has been on the lowest end of the totem pole for many years when it comes to useful healing addons. And like said, it's not just functions it brings since most addons are similar.

If you are a brand new healer healbot was fine. Now, the blizzard raid frames have pretty much over taken them. For anyone who seriously raids grid and vuhdo are incomparable. Though, this discussion has been on this and the wow forums thousands of times and no matter how many people give facts and proof those who want to claim healbot is equal are going to do so. No real point discussing it anymore.
    <-- is curious how you can quantify usefulness of one addon compared to another and also how you can test said addons without there being any type of bias. Feel free to pm me it or something, seeing as you seemingly want to drop the subject.

@OP I agree with everything Eternalwhitemoon said. They seem to know what they're talking about.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

This thread was worth reading, just because of the intro. I'd stars with healbot, and any other raiding/leveling add-on, and see how much you like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!