Intel 9600K speculation thread

Intel 9600K - six cores with hyperthreading or what do you think?
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    9600K 8C, no HT.

9700K 8C16T.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Intel 9600K - six cores with hyperthreading or what do you think?
    6c/6t or 8c/8t.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most places have already reported it'll be 6c/12t, with the i7-9700K being 8c/16th, and effectively a architecture refresh. Not a whole lot of discussion to be had until actual news comes out.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Personally, I don't know why people expect only 1 generation of mainstream 6c systems then a jump to 8c.
    Its pretty much confirmed at this point that Intel will be going 8 core in the next consumer generation to respond to Ryzen.

The much more interesting question will be if 10nm is finally coming, and if they increase the CPUs PCIe lane count to at least 20 so you can run GPU+SSD on that without drawbacks - but it appears its staying with the 300-series chipset, so at least the second thing isn't happening yet.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2018-04-01 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Personally, I don't know why people expect only 1 generation of mainstream 6c systems then a jump to 8c.

6c6t base clock 4.5-4.7 boost to 5.0
    Because core count has become a competition point (not the whole competition but a point) in the market. Intel kind of feel behind the curve on this point so they are trying to even out / take a lead in it.

The real question is not about core counts but how the chip communicates across its cores. RIP 8700k buyers if they abandon the ring bus architecture.

10+ Year Old Account
    9600K - 8c/8t
    9700K - 8c/16t

Intel is floundering on 10nm and they need something to compete with AMD. That's why they're releasing a mainstream 8 core on 14nm.

That said, I don't think people will be hitting 5.0GHz on eight cores.

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    9600K - 8c/8t
    9700K - 8c/16t

Intel is floundering on 10nm and they need something to compete with AMD. That's why they're releasing a mainstream 8 core on 14nm.

That said, I don't think people will be hitting 5.0GHz on eight cores.
    The 8700k nearly matches AMD's 8 core chips in multithreading while demolishing them in single core, which is still the more important factor in games. In fact a 4690k when overclocked will play 95% of games better than a ryzen chip, and that is 4 years old. As far as that goes a 30 dollar intel pentium g3258 will get more FPS in WoW than a 1800x will lol.

AMD is the one who has the catching up to do, landscape still demands IPC and clockspeed over cores. Not bashing on AMD here btw they have great hardware, they are just living in a world designed around 4c intel chips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The 8700k nearly matches AMD's 8 core chips in multithreading while demolishing them in single core, which is still the more important factor in games. In fact a 4690k when overclocked will play 95% of games better than a ryzen chip, and that is 4 years old. As far as that goes a 30 dollar intel pentium g3258 will get more FPS in WoW than a 1800x will lol.

AMD is the one who has the catching up to do, landscape still demands IPC and clockspeed over cores. Not bashing on AMD here btw they have great hardware, they are just living in a world designed around 4c intel chips.
    I never said otherwise. It's just marketing in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    I never said otherwise. It's just marketing in the end...
    True enough, most people just look at a spec sheet to determine a computer's (or anything really) relative power. WIFI is a good example of this, people read 300mbps on the box and wonder why they are only getting 40mbps in practice lol.