Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Khorianas on this one, as well as what many others have put down. You cast spells by retrieving energy, you can take this energy from different places e.g. Heat from your surrounding area to make a fireball, but you only need a little bit of heat as the energy you will then add to it makes it burn brighter and hotter. Makes an interesting case on nature magic though and it makes sense as to why only shamans or druids can use it, they are manipulating the spirits of or nature itself, they can do this as they have such a close connection with nature or the spirits of earth, fire etc. If others were to attempt this then the spells wouldn't work.

This also helps makes the point that you don't need hands or arms even to be a mage or warlock, You could direct the spells with your mind, although this would take a lot of practice and I daresay that it would cost extra energy if you wanted the magic to move in a certain direction without arms. Thats my opinion anyway no doubt some people will see it as wrong but anyway n.n
    Last edited by Sarevok345; 2011-03-12 at 02:40 PM.
    RP characters are as follows, both will blow your mind, I hope:
    (>'.')> Dharren Ironarm (<'.'<)
    _-|-_ Cythan Justwatcher _-|-_

In a debate like this, I don't think anyone is necessarily wrong, unless someone has a good counter to the argument. Like the argument about energy. Mine is that because the spells have different effects, direct and indirect (fire spells will burn people or set them on fire as well as do the initial damage of the spell, and frost spells will chill people and slow down speed and reaction time) that it would take different energies to make the spell. I have evidence for this because warlocks use sources of a more sinister nature to feed their shadow and fel magic, as well as the summoning of fire may be because you take the required energy for the spell from it's elemental plane, which is discussed in a novel.

On the other hand you and Khor believe that, based on the RPG article concerning it, that arcane energy is the basis for all spellcasting. Both of us, I believe, could be right. We both have background information concerning it, and we both have a clear logic that can be followed by the other party.

A touch offtopic, but I wish the rest of the forums could see this and learn how to debate without flaming or trolling the other party haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    A touch offtopic, but I wish the rest of the forums could see this and learn how to debate without flaming or trolling the other party haha
    That's why I said we should ask Sunny/Dinner to put RP Discussion back on the recent posts box :P

On Topic though, personally I believe that for a mage Arcane is the source for all of their powers as it would be quite simple to use your abilities with magic to alter the temperature significantly enough to cause spontaneous combustion or to freeze water as it would just come down to energy, putting more arcane energy into something would heat it up, removing it would cool it down. Like real life physics

For the elemental planes I'd imagine that they all originate from the arcane but they have been forced into the plane's energy types. So when a shaman summons fire they are taking it from the elemental plane of fire, but the plane of fire itself originates from the arcane.

This could work similarly for Warlocks too as we all know Fel is a concentrated form of Arcane so it wouldn't be difficult for ti to create enough energy to form fire.