Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    my submarine. it's long, hard and full of seamen.

Pet Loyalty System

In the recent patch notes, blizzards claims that they are removing the pet loyalty system (happiness) from hunter pets. I think this is awesome, because it's a pointless function, but everyone else seems to rage soooo hard. Why's that? Why is this a bad change? Did the loyalty-thingy mean that much to you?

Deleted
    Loyalty was the thing that dis.. whats the word.. defined-the-type of Hunter pet against any other class pet. So yea, it does mean a lot

Indeed; being a hunter was more than just having a pet, it was treating it right.. it's not just a stat stick; but an extension of who we are... I wonder if next they'll remove the ability for us to name them; make us more like the other "pet" classes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by linamus View Post
    Loyalty was the thing that dis.. whats the word.. defined-the-type of Hunter pet against any other class pet. So yea, it does mean a lot
    Compaired to other classes with pets, hunters can choose almost any pet they like, isn't that what defines Hunter pets?

Glyph of Mend Pet made Loyalty a pointless thing long ago. And the defining thing for Hunter Pets has always been the fact that they're entirely customisable, IMO.

Deleted
    I am absolutely happy that they do that. While i understand some people are unsatisfied with that, i think it's a pointless function, if not a irritating function as well, since the scale from 75 to 125% damage... Blah.

I guess i am ignorant when it comes to my hunter, i don't know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by awayfromlife View Post
    Indeed; being a hunter was more than just having a pet, it was treating it right.. it's not just a stat stick; but an extension of who we are... I wonder if next they'll remove the ability for us to name them; make us more like the other "pet" classes.
    I see it as a "stat stick" because my pet is always happy, since he has all these happiness-increasing talents. It doesn't feel personal anyway.

One word: Homogenization. I don't even play a Hunter, but it's clearly something Hunters had no one else had, and is therefor cool. Do Warlock Pets/Unholy Death Knight Ghouls/Frost Mage Elementals pets run away if not treated right, or deal more damage if treated well? No. Not every detail needs to be game-changing, but instead something that feels more... Hunter-y, or class-specific in general. It wasn't pointless, it was another aspect for your class, much a flavour thing than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPistachio View Post
    Bornakk lifts the cup of coffee up to his mouth...
    ...when the Scythe of Elune comes crashing through it.
    ???: I can't you let you brew that, Starbucks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am happy this is changing.

Just like that stupid leveling system for loyalty they had ( 1-5 thing ). Or learning skills from mobs.

Some parts are cool just end up being annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyce View Post
    One word: Homogenization. I don't even play a Hunter, but it's clearly something Hunters had no one else had, and is therefor cool. Do Warlock Pets/Unholy Death Knight Ghouls/Frost Mage Elementals pets run away if not treated right, or deal more damage if treated well? No. Not every detail needs to be game-changing, but instead something that feels more... Hunter-y, or class-specific in general. It wasn't pointless, it was another aspect for your class, much a flavour thing than anything else.
    No it was just f*cking annoying to put up with, plus like stated before, since the glyph of mend pet made it pointless anyway there was no reason to have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well said. I must say I've tried hunters in about every expansion, but always end up deleting them to make room for another toon. The whole pet thing and taking care of it is a core part of being a hunter, which isn't my cup of tea. Shame it's been removed, just as I don't like the DK Combat res and the change in Soulstone. They were mechanics that made the classes stand out more, or do something noone else could.
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by linamus View Post
    It hasn't meant shit since Vanilla(Not sure if it was during Vanilla or BC they made the change). Anyone getting angry now are just getting overly elitist on petty things. Back in Vanilla you had to slowly work up the happiness by feeding it and using it. At the moment, you just throw 2 glyphed mend pets on a newly tamed pet and you're good to go. It's pointless to have it now.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just played my first hunter from 1 to 60. I have to say, when I first started playing with the pet loyalty system I thought, "Oh this is cool, it's like I have a tomagotchi."

And about halfway to 60 I found it pointless. There's really nothing fun about holding on to all your excess food so you can feed something to your pet every 15 minutes. You get food everywhere, so it's not difficult. But it's also not fun.

It might have been a distinguishing feature for hunter pets, but that doesn't really make it fun. I think they've made the right call removing it. I don't think it will be missed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this mean they are getting rid of Mend Pet. Healing your pet during a fight. They said feeding your pet now heals it, but not during combat.
    Explain?

I liked the Happiness thing, like taking care of a Pet. ;-D
    Last edited by Redwine; 2011-03-10 at 08:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One word: Homogenization. I don't even play a Hunter, but it's clearly something Hunters had no one else had, and is therefor cool.
    Unique does not equal cool. The happiness system was never a fun or cool system. The Loyalty system was somewhat interesting, but that's been gone since the beginning of Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwine View Post
    Does this mean they are getting rid of Mend Pet. Healing your pet during a fight. They said feeding your pet now heals it, but not during combat.
    There was no change to Mend Pet itself in the notes, so presumably Feed Pet is just another out-of-combat-only heal for the pet while Mend Pet is still the main one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    I am happy this is changing.

Just like that stupid leveling system for loyalty they had ( 1-5 thing ). Or learning skills from mobs.

Some parts are cool just end up being annoying.
    So glad they got Rid of that. I hated Running around looking for the pet that had that ability.. or had to wait til you where the level of that pet to be able to get that ablitiy.

I like that the removal of loyalty comes with the addition of a glyph that can make your pet slightly bigger, adding even more pet personalization to hunters while trimming away the fluff of a clunky system.

15+ Year Old Account
    I...dunno how I feel about it.

I just recently made a hunter, and I got the talent point so I wouldn't have to feed my pet. I felt that it was an extra useless thing.

However, I really liked how it worked, and it made feeding your pet worth it, which helped immersion. Not to mention knowing your pet was happy after you feed him some fresh meat felt good.

But like I said, it was unnecessary fluff...

Idk.

Loyalty hasn't been in the game since Wrath, and pet happiness has been a complete non issue since the advent of Glyph of Mend Pet and the various pet talents that increase happiness.

The removal of loyalty was a good thing; oh whoops I afked in town and my pet ran away.

And as I said, happiness has been a non issue, so I don't see why they didn't remove it a long time ago.

Also I don't see how it makes the pet into "nothing but a stat stick" you can choose which pet you want to tame (color, model, whether its a rare spawn), name it, arrange its talents however you want. The removal of happiness literally changes nothing about the pet, except having to push the Mend Pet hotkey over and over

Seems like a pointless thing to even adress, waste of time to change this. I never had a pet run away cause it got unhappy, was that even possible?