I feel Doran Martell is too young in the show. The Prince is supposed to be so wracked by gout that every movement is utter agony. He is supposed to be balding, nostalgic and pensive.

Kind of not getting that feel from Julian Bashir.

We've only seen him in one scene, but tentatively, I agree.

IDK, I associate gout with extremely fat people. Is this a mistaken impression on my part?

Third episode tonight, I still don't see why Sansa even agrees to go to the Boltons. I thought you was all liberated, girl.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I feel Doran Martell is too young in the show. The Prince is supposed to be so wracked by gout that every movement is utter agony. He is supposed to be balding, nostalgic and pensive.

Kind of not getting that feel from Julian Bashir.
    Give him some time - after all he is genetically engineered, although he's kinda used to other kind of roles, but hey he's a fast learner.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Third episode tonight, I still don't see why Sansa even agrees to go to the Boltons. I thought you was all liberated, girl.
    Littlefinger. The man has everything under control, I don't think anything has happened in Westeros without his internal approval.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted

the sand viper scene was so laughable... i really hope that was a fluke and they step up their acting chops later in the season.

IDK, I associate gout with extremely fat people. Is this a mistaken impression on my part?
    It usually is but not always. Gout is caused by excess uric acid in the bloodstream. Overeaters are more likely to have excess amounts but if a skinnier person had problems with their kidneys and ate a lot of foods high in uric acid they could get it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which Queen is he Tyrion taking to?
    I have a feeling we might see a Snow and a Stark reunite at some point and I don't mean Ramsay. And Littlefinger has everything under control right now.
    Arya's story is kinda boring right now. I just thought "you know his name and every man knows his gift" was a nod to Syrio maybe?
    King's landing is the most interesting plot line at the moment I think.
    Last edited by Feali; 2015-04-27 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    the sand viper scene was so laughable... i really hope that was a fluke and they step up their acting chops later in the season.
    I was put off by the casting when I saw them, nothing like I imagined, and now to hear the acting is poor (hearing it a lot) has me very disappointed. The Sand snakes should have been every bit as awesome as Oberyn.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Not sure if this would be considered a spoiler or not so I'm going to put it in spoiler tags just to be safe. He's going to take her to Daenarys to try and win back her favor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Not sure if this would be considered a spoiler or not so I'm going to put it in spoiler tags just to be safe. He's going to take her to Daenarys to try and win back her favor
    That's what I thought. Great. This is good. If Varys goes there also.

That's what I thought. Great. This is good. If Varys goes there also.
    In the books, Varys isn't even on that journey with Tyrion, he's still hiding in Westeros after Joffrey's wedding. So it's all really a wild card for what he's up to in the series.

Arya's story is kinda boring right now. I just thought "you know his name and every man knows his gift" was a nod to Syrio maybe?
    Spoilers, but about the theology of ASoIaF, not really anything show-specific:
    The Many-Faced God that the Faceless Men serve draws from all Westerosi religions. In the Seven of Westeros, he is the Stranger. In the North, he is one of the Old Gods, perhaps the face in trees, perhaps the one that the three-eyed crow and Bran and the Children serve. He is the Drowned God of the Greyjoys, he is the night that is dark and full of terrors to the worshippers of bright R'hllor. He is the reaper, and his gift is death.

Rumor/Conjecture: The Others, north of the Wall, worship/serve this God and are diametrically opposed to R'hllor and his followers. They are the ice in the song of ice and fire, and Stannis/his lot are the fire.

More backstory on this god: According to the Faceless Men, their order started in the slave mines of old Valyria. The mines were so brutal a place, that every day the slaves moaned aloud for death. One slave, having heard their cries, and praying on it, started fulfilling their prayers. But then the Many-Faced God started telling him to give the gift not only to people who pray for it (like the man who drank from the fountain in this past episode) but to some others who deserved it - so the slave started killing the masters, and the Many-Faced God gave him the ability to change his face and blend in and escape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spoilers, but about the theology of ASoIaF, not really anything show-specific:
    The Many-Faced God that the Faceless Men serve draws from all Westerosi religions. In the Seven of Westeros, he is the Stranger. In the North, he is one of the Old Gods, perhaps the face in trees, perhaps the one that the three-eyed crow and Bran and the Children serve. He is the Drowned God of the Greyjoys, he is the night that is dark and full of terrors to the worshippers of bright R'hllor. He is the reaper, and his gift is death.

Rumor/Conjecture: The Others, north of the Wall, worship/serve this God and are diametrically opposed to R'hllor and his followers. They are the ice in the song of ice and fire, and Stannis/his lot are the fire.

More backstory on this god: According to the Faceless Men, their order started in the slave mines of old Valyria. The mines were so brutal a place, that every day the slaves moaned aloud for death. One slave, having heard their cries, and praying on it, started fulfilling their prayers. But then the Many-Faced God started telling him to give the gift not only to people who pray for it (like the man who drank from the fountain in this past episode) but to some others who deserved it - so the slave started killing the masters, and the Many-Faced God gave him the ability to change his face and blend in and escape.
    I just thought he was talking about the God of Death like Syrio. There are a lot of people believing that Ja'qen = Syrio since we didn't actually see him die.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've only seen him in one scene, but tentatively, I agree.

Gout was a common disease among the nobles. Nobles were mostly eating meat and not enough vegetables. Meat is rich in uric acid and that's why they got gout. Maybe it is something similar for Doran.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Just started season 5, i didn't know i would actually feel sorry for Cersei :/

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    God me too. That was a terrible scene. Even the spear throwing portion was so obviously fake.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling we might see a Snow and a Stark reunite at some point and I don't mean Ramsay. And Littlefinger has everything under control right now.
    King's landing is the most interesting plot line at the moment I think.
    God I love Littlefinger. He is rocking it and the scenes from this upcoming episode look amazing.

The plot lines are a little boring atm, I agree, but they've got to build up what's going on before everyone starts killing each other. Also, this is Season 5, and they only have two more to go before the entire series is ended. There are only two legitimate threats to the throne now (Deny and Stanis) and Deny is across the Narrow Sea fucking around with slave issues rather than pursuing her claim - I mean, jesus, 8,000+ Unsullied and 3 dragons? - get on a boat and go take the kingdom, it's yours!

Snow is the only spoiler maker remaining - aside from the White Walkers.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    When Renly died, I remember it was mentioned that he had 100k men, did Stannis get his entire army or what happened with them? Can't remember.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    When Renly died, I remember it was mentioned that he had 100k men, did Stannis get his entire army or what happened with them? Can't remember.
    A big part was loyal to the Tyrell's as they were reachmen, so the naturally went over to the Tyrell's. Then you had the stormlords with 3 kinds, those who supported Stannis, those who went with the Tyrell's and those who just left home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    We dont need to spoiler tag aired stuff in this thread do we? Isn't it just a no-book spoiler thread?

As for the question, the show never gave us any specific number on how many he got from him, so zylathas got it spot on.

Show only says he attacked blackwater with tens of thousands if i remember correctly, and he started out with a pretty small army himself, like 5k, so my guess would be that he got like 15-25,000 from Renly

Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    We dont need to spoiler tag aired stuff in this thread do we? Isn't it just a no-book spoiler thread?

As for the question, the show never gave us any specific number on how many he got from him, so zylathas got it spot on.

Show only says he attacked blackwater with tens of thousands if i remember correctly, and he started out with a pretty small army himself, like 5k, so my guess would be that he got like 15-25,000 from Renly
    I would say it's more likely in the 40-60k range. It is said that all of the banners except the Tyrell forces joined Stannis. The Tyrell family has a very large army so I would think their forces made up around half of Renly's. Can't think of anywhere were it's mentioned how many soldiers the Tyrell's actually have but if there is a source for that then Stannis' army is essentially 5k + Renly's forces - Tyrell forces (before blackwater). Probably 10-15k less after blackwater.
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2015-05-16 at 02:56 AM.