Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont find anything wrong with rp, however i have seen things within the dark reaches of deeprun tram that no man should bear witness to. Other than those things i find RPing as valid a way to enjoy the game as arenas or raiding if not more so at one point sometime in vanilla i was acctually part of a guild that RPed while raiding which was very enjoyable basically made it into a more graphical D&D game

My Deviantart sig by Axa

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have anything against RPers, i used to rp a lot. Even if i don't roleplay active anymore, i stell respect the rules on my realm - if someone would engage my characters IC, i probably would spent a few hours with them.
    However, on my server they are really using the roleplaying as an excuse if they fail in PvE/PvP. It's not rare to get flamed by a roleplayer as an "elitist" or "hardcore-idiot", if you only tell them to move out of fires.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    But that's what RP is...a game! If anything I find RPers take the game for what it is more than the vast players that QQ about raids & pvp
    I don't RP, but I LOVE the lore behind the game. I just don't feel the need to spread it around to other players, possibly because so few exist on my realm. Perhaps if I had more contact with them, I'd change my view point.

Deleted
    In regards to LARPing that's something I wouldn't do personally, but I do see myself as a writer and enjoy using my in-game character as a writing tool

Deleted
    Lack of imagination and desire for social acceptance (desire to fit a stereotype, to identify in a group, or to get something)
    Ex: "I think roleplay is Gay because all the hot chicks i met think so"

But where's the fun in life when you can't play with your love in bed pretending you're Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    To some people, it's considered "Taking it a step too far".

They think that RPing, or pretending to be someone you are not, is stupid, and can't understand the fun in it. Thus, they generally make jokes and insult the people doing it.

In other words, people hate what they don't understand.
    Usually the same people spend their entire time pretending to be cool.

I have nothing against RP. It's the tripe that people think is RP that I can't stand.

I was on an RP server RPing as a man of few words and people said I wasn't RPing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have anything against RP'ers, i find it pretty interesting some of the things they get up to... I think the whole RP cyber sex thing is going a bit to far tho.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it's the fact that some people just cant se beyond what they themselves find fun and enjoyable, they just cant understand that others find things they dont like enjoyable. And instead of accepting that people have different views on whats fun they mock and make fun out of those that differs from them.

I'm no roleplayer myself, but I do actually understand why people can enjoy it, and I do understand that even though it's not for me I respect the fact that others find it fun.What I dont actually get though is why the same people thinks it's ok to go to RP realms and do their best to ruin the game experience for those who actually do RP for the right reasons. If these people had people come to whatever it is they enjoy and get mocked/harassed they'd get pretty annoyed.

I used to RP quite a lot during BC, and I definitely miss having a reliable RP community that's not infested with griefers. The biggest thing that pisses me off however is when people use Goldshire on Moon Guard as an example of RP; that's not RP, that's trolls trolling trolls. Stop telling people to make a lvl 1 alt to check it out as an example of RP, because that's not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of them take it far to far and live in a little world of there own
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally think of RPers as people who goes to deep into the game. Kinda replacing their real lifes with the RP ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishpaladin View Post
    Some of them take it far to far and live in a little world of there own
    This can be said with virtually any interest.

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majobu View Post
    I generally think of RPers as people who goes to deep into the game. Kinda replacing their real lifes with the RP ones.
    I'm not going to argue that people don't do that, but honestly the majority of us are just creative individuals who like to write and develop stories.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodejjj View Post
    I'm not an RP fan. I think it's a game and should be treated as such, not taken to the extent that you create your own background and etc. However, I don't hate on the people who choose to RP, it's just something I see as laughable. Everyone is entitled to their own views, of course :3
    No offense but you clearly dont understand it then, this is how roleplayers chose to play the game, these people are just like you and me and everyone else, some of them work, some of them go to school, some of them has families, they dont go around outside of the game(yeah sure you can probably find some obscure case of it if you look hard enough) roleplaying and thinking that they are their character.

Roleplayers are in most cases people with a better imagination then the rest of us and to be perfectly honest I think they get far more bang for their buck with this game then the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    No offense but you clearly dont understand it then, this is how roleplayers chose to play the game, these people are just like you and me and everyone else, some of them work, some of them go to school, some of them has families, they dont go around outside of the game(yeah sure you can probably find some obscure case of it if you look hard enough) roleplaying and thinking that they are their character.

Roleplayers are in most cases people with a better imagination then the rest of us and to be perfectly honest I think they get far more bang for their buck with this game then the rest of us.
    Well, that's their choice then. Like I said, I don't have any particular feelings towards them besides thinking that it's a little silly. Factor into this my complete lack of imagination (true fact, I have nearly none) and my view becomes more understandable. If I was more creative, I'm sure I'd be more receptive. But, as long as they're not trying to shove RP'ing down my throat, I have absolutely no problem with RP'ing in game. On the forums, I even enjoy some of the stories they write, because they're will written and entertaining. Gar~ :3

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really dont understand RP, and i never will. The step is waay too far for me. Its a game, not your life. And some people really do take it too far.
    Your sig exceeds the maximum allowed size of 500px wide by 100px high by 50kb. Please see the guidelines for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Why do so many hate/mock RPers?

It's not that far off from writing fan-fiction, and isn't it kinda ironic calling someone a nerd for it when you yourself are an MMORPG player and probably play heavy raiding/pvping. As far as RP is to me it's simply an outlet for the creativity of players, and I believe creativity and imagination should be praised NOT mocked.
    Because most players play to win. Weither it be a new raid or arena, and even though we are MMORPG player doesnt mean necessarily we play it because we like checking out the ass of a new race or anything. We just think the game and progress of things are very good. The game can very easily divide bad players among the good players.

And in RP you cant win, people create alternative personalities and act them out. Some people might see it as if they arent happy with their own lives and create a new personality or whatever... eh, well. Since english isnt my native language ithis is hard for me, but basically what I'm saying is. You don't achieve anything, you don't achieve better gear, or "skills" while RP'ing. In short there's just no point to it, thats probably why some people classify them as nerds

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem with RP, unless it interferes with my play experience. If I'm in a random and I say to sheep the moon and the response I get is "Avast, ye old magi doth not understand."
    Survival is Key

Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater View Post
    Cybersex and LARP ruined the image of Role-Playing for the next decades.
    Basically, yeah.... RP, in some cases, devolved into this twisted form of fantasy sex fetish due to the idea of 'hey, this is a time where are normal laws/values don't matter... let's go bat-shit crazy...'

I'm met quite a few LARPer's at my college as well... Made the mistake of being a 'monster' in one of their events, and I had 40 yr old men bitch at me about hitting them too hard, despite the fact that they were wearing padded armor, and all I had was a long green shirt to indicate that I was the 'bad guy'....

Needless to say, I can't respect them because of that..

I think it's funny and I like making fun of people from Moonguard when I see them in battlegrounds.