Thread: Stock Cooling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    An i5 2500k is not an enthusiast CPU, it only costs ~$200... Buying an aftermarket cooler that costs half as much as the CPU just so you can possibly attempt to squeeze out an additional 400-500MHz does not justify the additional cost.
    Why not spend 30$ to get your CPU up to ~4.8 ghz?

An i5 2500k is not an enthusiast CPU, it only costs ~$200... Buying an aftermarket cooler that costs half as much as the CPU just so you can possibly attempt to squeeze out an additional 400-500MHz does not justify the additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    Why not spend 30$ to get your CPU up to ~4.8 ghz?
    I don't think he's saying NOT to spend $30.

I think he's saying don't spend $100 on the Corsair liquid cooled thing that was linked a bit farther back.

Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    I don't think he's saying NOT to spend $30.

I think he's saying don't spend $100 on the Corsair liquid cooled thing that was linked a bit farther back.
    I'd never buy that anyway, why spend 100$ for some crap fake liquid cooler when I can buy a 30$ air cooler and push/pull another fan in, for the same if not better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KieranM17 View Post
    I'm using stock cooling on my i5-2500k, and it gets hot, maybe 70 degrees on Load. Wouldn't like to risk OC on it tbh.
    That's bad mate, any OC'er knows that you shoulden't pass 65 deegrees in load.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrionlol View Post
    Not exactly true. At least not with the 2500k. Perhaps something different that you own? The shutdown temp for the 2500k is around 90c.

70c under full load is acceptable. 75c-80c you're pushing your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    Not exactly true. At least not with the 2500k. Perhaps something different that you own? The shutdown temp for the 2500k is around 90c.

70c under full load is acceptable. 75c-80c you're pushing your luck.
    Mine hit 87-88C with the Intel Burn Test at 4.4GHz on the stock cooler. That made me grimace, but the thing's alive and kickin'.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrionlol View Post
    Every chip is different. Sure running it hot will decrease its lifespan, but when you do really use a CPU for more than 3 years?

I've gotten my 2600K and 990X both run at high 70s under load.

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan to at first just use the Auto OC on the MSI board I am getting for the 2500K. And as far as reviews go, many have said it will auto oc to 4.2, is the Noctua overkill for that? CM Hyper 212 in Push Pull a cheaper and profiecnt buy?

I know nothing over manual overclocking yet. I do plan on getting to know the way around it as soon as my first build goes smoothly as I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    I plan to at first just use the Auto OC on the MSI board I am getting for the 2500K. And as far as reviews go, many have said it will auto oc to 4.2, is the Noctua overkill for that? CM Hyper 212 in Push Pull a cheaper and profiecnt buy?

I know nothing over manual overclocking yet. I do plan on getting to know the way around it as soon as my first build goes smoothly as I hope.
    Noctua will be overkill for that low OC, and the hyper 212+ and you most likely won't notice the difference too much

As for your overclocking, I highly suggest watching this.
    It should give you all the answers, and it's really as simple as that - the problem is that OCing is addictive. Once my Noctua NH-D14 arrives, I'll go for 4,2 - 4,4 myself - just because I can! Although I most likely will clock down to 4,00 again!

Only 4.2-4.4 with an i5-2500k with a Noctua? You could probably EASILY hit 5.0.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, once I know how to manual OC then hopefully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    If you spent that much for a new CPU+MoBo, why not shell out the extra $100 for a Corsair liquid cooler?

Got one of these last week, made a huge diff gone from a 80 deg C full load to a constant 35-42deg C so basically cut heat in half. Noice!

actually nevermind this message.
    Last edited by filiral; 2011-03-25 at 06:41 AM.

Yet if you'd check my sig, you'd see my i5-760..

Get an asus board and it will auto overclock to 4.8 easy... you just hit one button. If not, its as simple as going into your BIOS and changing one option.

---------- Post added 2011-03-24 at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Yet if you'd check my sig, you'd see my i5-760..
    My bad, half asleep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get an asus board and it will auto overclock to 4.8 easy... you just hit one button. If not, its as simple as going into your BIOS and changing one option.

---------- Post added 2011-03-24 at 10:18 PM ----------

My bad, half asleep.
    Same goes for the MSI board, except it reaches 4.2 on the auto overclock. I havent read on how far the ASUS boards take it but I can not find an Evo or a Pro so Im trying my luck with the MSI board.

It should keep going until its too dangerous to continue because of temps/voltage or until you make it stop. That's how the Asus board works at least :[

Just watch the link I posted ;o
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-03-25 at 07:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Just watch the link I posted ;o
    Plan on it. I have a buddy who works in my local computer store as well that knows quite a bit about OC'ing. :P

Deleted
    And that's where you're wrong...

There are two versions :
    1) i5 2500 which is a "simple" with no fancy overclocking options, not an enthusiast cpu (this should've been the one you were talking about)
    2) i5 2500k is the enthusiast cpu because the k means it has an unlocked multiplier

Price doesn't have that much to do with them being made for enthusiasts or not, the features show it and unlocked multiplier smells like enthusiast from miles away.

On top of that stock cooling is "safe" to about 3.8 GHz while a good aftermarket air cooler gets you 4.5 GHz or more.
    example of a lot more than 400-500 extra : http://namegt.com/661

Last edited by mmoc70c145fdaf; 2011-03-25 at 09:03 AM.