10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    are u kidding me.. you can see him tuck in his elbow and lounge at him... unless it happens to a habs player... its alright
    I don't understand what I'm apparently not seeing. Gionta turns around looking for the puck, he has to skate in front of Reimer, staying outside of the crease, when Gionta attempts to get the puck, he needs to shift his body so his back is to Reimer. Reimer trying to follow the puck, moves towards Gionta, which causes Giontas elbow to strike Reimer in the head. Both players were following the puck, and there was too little room in the area for all 4 players.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    That was ridiculous. The Flyers wasted a good 5mins on that bullshit. I would have given them a Delay of Game. And of course all the commentators applauded Philly for doing it, saying Tampa's defense strategy was BS. They've found something that works for them. Other teams have tried it and had no luck. And I swear I remember hearing about how great it was in the playoffs last year from these same commentators. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I don't understand what I'm apparently not seeing. Gionta turns around looking for the puck, he has to skate in front of Reimer, staying outside of the crease, when Gionta attempts to get the puck, he needs to shift his body so his back is to Reimer. Reimer trying to follow the puck, moves towards Gionta, which causes Giontas elbow to strike Reimer in the head. Both players were following the puck, and there was too little room in the area for all 4 players.
    Uh, no. Watch the extended clip. You can clearly see Gionta look at where Reimer is, skate in that direction in which Reimer can not see Gionta coming, but Gionta can see Reimer, skate towards Reimer and make contact with him. For god sakes, he even shifts his body to extend his arm and elbow out towards Reimer. Not mentioning, Reimer is doing what any goaltender worth his salt is doing, he's coming out to the top of his crease in order to cut down the angle of the shooter. In no way shape or form is it okay for a player to hit the goalie for doing that.

And again, to quote old Shanny, "It is on the onus of the player making contact, not to make the principle point of contact on the defending player, his head." Gionta made his contact on Reimer's head. If you can't see that, your blind. Therefore, my point stands that there should have been a suspension following Shanahan's own reasoning behind other such suspensions.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree that there should have been a suspension, but I'm not surprised that there wasn't. With hits like this it's really a roll of the dice to see if the NHL will do anything. They have a good history of applying rules like this when they feel like it. Not often enough, but often enough where we don't forget about it.

For me, the rule should either be applied to the letter every time or not at all. I can understand a ref not seeing something that may be deserving of a penalty but the officials at the NHL don't have to decide on the spot. It really undermines the sport when the rules are applied so poorly.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's the Leafs, when was the last time a player from another team was suspended for severely injuring a member of the Leafs? Sean Avery should have been suspended at least 10 games last year for that hack on Phaneuf's knee from behind that put him out for a few months, but the league didn't do anything then, and they didn't do anything now. It's a hilarious bunch of hypocritical bullshit really.

Tinfoil hats everyone, Now that the leafs are winning, EVERYONE is out to get them, including the league.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    Tinfoil hats everyone, Now that the leafs are winning, EVERYONE is out to get them, including the league.
    Interesting coming from a Boston fan after what happened to Marc Savard. I recall a lot of outcry when Cooke didn't get suspended or fined.

That's what I was reminded of when I watched the highlights of the TB-Philly game. It will be interesting to see what rule changes the NHL will come up with to prevent that.

Gionta did not pull a Matt Cooke at all. Gionta was playing the puck, and did not purposly aim for his head. As much as you tell yourselvees he did, he didn't. His elbows would be at a normal height level agaisnt a normal player, his arms were down, he just happened to catch an edge which made him turn his back and catch the goaltenders head... it was not on purpose as much as you want to think it is. Gionta is a gentleman on the ice, and this coming from a boston fan is huge. It wasn't a dirty hit, accidents happen. (Cough cough chara hitting pachoreity)

I don't understand why they would eliminate the 1-3-1. Figure out how to play against it, or lose? THEY aren't the ones delaying the game.. they're playing smart, tactical defence.

Yup. Tampa wasn't holding up the game, Philly was. Boucher told St Louis to stick to the plan and don't let them dictate how we play. I really do think they deserved a delay a game. I don't care if they kept the puck moving or not. And when Tampa did start forcing them to get going, Philly turned the puck over.

Learn to play, Philly.

You would think you can run "Football" type plays since when you look at it the defenders were just standing there. Speed kills.

Bruins had a hell of a time playing against Tampa's 1-3-1 in last years playoffs. It was quite frustrating to watch. A fast player can collapse the 1-3-1 pretty quickly though

Gionta did not pull a Matt Cooke at all. Gionta was playing the puck, and did not purposly aim for his head. As much as you tell yourselvees he did, he didn't. His elbows would be at a normal height level agaisnt a normal player, his arms were down, he just happened to catch an edge which made him turn his back and catch the goaltenders head... it was not on purpose as much as you want to think it is. Gionta is a gentleman on the ice, and this coming from a boston fan is huge. It wasn't a dirty hit, accidents happen. (Cough cough chara hitting pachoreity)
    I would love to see any Montreal player suspended for any reason, but Chedda is right. As much as I hate Gionta for costing us our #1 goalie; It was an accident, just like Chara's hit last year. Don't QQ as much as those Habs fans who still whine about Chara's hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    Uh, no. Watch the extended clip. You can clearly see Gionta look at where Reimer is, skate in that direction in which Reimer can not see Gionta coming, but Gionta can see Reimer, skate towards Reimer and make contact with him. For god sakes, he even shifts his body to extend his arm and elbow out towards Reimer. Not mentioning, Reimer is doing what any goaltender worth his salt is doing, he's coming out to the top of his crease in order to cut down the angle of the shooter. In no way shape or form is it okay for a player to hit the goalie for doing that.

And again, to quote old Shanny, "It is on the onus of the player making contact, not to make the principle point of contact on the defending player, his head." Gionta made his contact on Reimer's head. If you can't see that, your blind. Therefore, my point stands that there should have been a suspension following Shanahan's own reasoning behind other such suspensions.
    I'm done arguing about this, there is no point. I'm with Shanny on this, it didn't deserve a suspension and was a clear accident.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    [video=youtube;ftlfPb0gyxI]

That's what I was reminded of when I watched the highlights of the TB-Philly game. It will be interesting to see what rule changes the NHL will come up with to prevent that.
    At a fans point of view, I hope they find a way to eliminate the trap, such a boring system to watch.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the problem with what Gionta did OR what Philly did in that so called "Delay of game".
    Gionta made a straight line in front of the goalie and didn't deviate, actually it looks like to me he was trying to make more room for the goalie by squeezing closer to the defender. The goalie is the one o\who made the slight movement just prior to contact toward Gionta. Nothing wrong with it.

and what Philly did to keep the puck off the Bolts? I don't get it. What's wrong with it? the scores were 0-0, and it's up to the defending team to dispossess. The attacking team can handle the puck however they like really. If holding it for a few minutes makes the bolts that bit more anxious or weary all the better for philly. Good play in my book

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    How do you play the puck when the puck was back at the point at the time of the hit? And besides, after that, players started taking runs at Toronto's goalies, shit Callahan did it 4 or 5 times to Gustavsson when they played the Rangers, Stepan tried it too and they had goals called back because of goaltender interference. Sorry but when players start intentionally hitting goalies while the goalie is in the crease in order to score, something needs to be done. It happens far too often and a rule change needs to be made. Contact with the opposing goalies around the crease and in the trapezoidal area should constitute interference, especially if the goalie is playing the puck. Sorry but the player shouldn't have to be in the crease in order to call goaltender interference.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 07:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I'm done arguing about this, there is no point. I'm with Shanny on this, it didn't deserve a suspension and was a clear accident.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 08:25 PM ----------

At a fans point of view, I hope they find a way to eliminate the trap, such a boring system to watch.
    "Accidents" don't put players out for more then a few games. It isn't an accident when you run elbow first into a goalies head knowing full well where your position is and knowing that the goalie is moving to control the puck. That situation could have easily been avoided, so yes, it was intentional and it was not an accident.

15+ Year Old Account
    Leafs doing a much better job tonight. 2-0 after the first with some more pts for Kessel.

Boston's still on a tear against Edmonton. Shame I can't watch that game at the same time.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    2-1 after two.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    2-1 after two.
    Yeah. Toronto really slowed down. 2 shots in 18mins? ouch... Hopefully they come back strong in the 3rd.