15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well the options are an all-Sun Belt expansion Stanley Cup ala Colorado vs Florida (although half of that is relocation oriented) or you get a Canadian stalwart against a Sun Belt team lots of people don't think should have ever existed.

Personally, I am pulling for San Jose and I think they will win as they are way more talented than anyone Vancouver has played in the playoffs.
    San Jose is good but i got Vancouver and Tampa advancing. haven't decided who wins THAT series but it will be good all around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Wow that is going to suck for the Habs. after what Snow did to Detroit (Nabokov) i would love to see Holland get a little dirty and go after Weber or Doughty. that said i would love to see Nicky Lids back for another year.
    If there is a time to get splashy in the UFA defense market it is this offseason. Next year's is pretty bleak outside of the actual Detroit defenseman that are UFA's in Stuart and Kronwall who will assuredly be retained and Rafalski who will assuredly not be. A chunk of that Rafalski money will be going to Kronwall's contract which will probably jump up to the $5mil/yr range up from $3mi/yr now. That will leave another $4 million from Rafalski to invest elsewhere (like Hudler who will be a UFA).

Should be an interesting offseason for both the next two seasons. If Lidstrom leaves this season it gives Holland money to invest in a splashy veteran name along with money from Osgood, Modano, Draper, and likely Salei to resign Eaves and Miller who both will certainly be back as they have been fantastic. Kindl will likely replace Salei in the Top 6 D next season. If Lidstorm is gone, Detroit is looking at potentially $13 million to use on a big name D man along with a couple forwards to fill in the holes unless Mursak or another Griffin will be moving up to be a regular player.

Next season will be the last year for Rafalski and Holmstrom along with potentially Bertuzzi. Stuart and Kronwall will be back, Helm and Abs are both RFAs who will certainly be resigned. Moral of the story is they are going to either have a lot of money this season and a fair amount next season to work with or are going to have only a little bit to work with this offseason (6-7 mil) and a shit ton next offseason (15-20 mil) assuming Lidstrom stays one more season.

15+ Year Old Account
    If there is a time to get splashy in the UFA defense market it is this offseason. Next year's is pretty bleak outside of the actual Detroit defenseman that are UFA's in Stuart and Kronwall who will assuredly be retained and Rafalski who will assuredly not be. A chunk of that Rafalski money will be going to Kronwall's contract which will probably jump up to the $5mil/yr range up from $3mi/yr now. That will leave another $4 million from Rafalski to invest elsewhere (like Hudler who will be a UFA).

Should be an interesting offseason for both the next two seasons. If Lidstrom leaves this season it gives Holland money to invest in a splashy veteran name along with money from Osgood, Modano, Draper, and likely Salei to resign Eaves and Miller who both will certainly be back as they have been fantastic. Kindl will likely replace Salei in the Top 6 D next season. If Lidstorm is gone, Detroit is looking at potentially $13 million to use on a big name D man along with a couple forwards to fill in the holes unless Mursak or another Griffin will be moving up to be a regular player.

Next season will be the last year for Rafalski and Holmstrom along with potentially Bertuzzi. Stuart and Kronwall will be back, Helm and Abs are both RFAs who will certainly be resigned. Moral of the story is they are going to either have a lot of money this season and a fair amount next season to work with or are going to have only a little bit to work with this offseason (6-7 mil) and a shit ton next offseason (15-20 mil) assuming Lidstrom stays one more season.
    it is going to be sad to see Holmstrom go. who's gonna take over his office job?

---------- Post added 2011-05-15 at 03:45 AM ----------

that said i do not think there has been a player beat, battered, speared, checked, and otherwise utterly manhandled by other teams like Homer has. i do not get how the guy keeps doing it. every single shift, every single game, he goes back to the front of the crease and puts his fat ass back in there.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a second here. The NHL's most popular team, the home of the NHL offices, and one of the most valuable franchises in all of sports (~$2 Billion), has a ref bias AGAINST them? Ya I don't know what you are smoking, but if there is any reason for the success or lack thereof of the Leafs it has absolutely nothing to do with the refs lol.
    You must not have been alive in the 90's when we got fucked by Kerry Fraiser and the penalty call against the Leafs that caused us to lose game 7 of the Conference Final against LA when Gretzky put his stick in Doug Gilmour's face right in front of Kerry Fraiser and he didn't call the penalty on the play and instead called interference against the Leafs or some bullshit like that which caused us to lose the game. Some refs fuck people over, but any diehard Leafs fan will tell you that refs have had the biggest bias against us for years even in the regular season. I have seen more stupid penalty calls against Toronto in recent years that wound up costing us games because of goals scored against us due to a penalty kill.

---------- Post added 2011-05-15 at 12:04 AM ----------

Well the options are an all-Sun Belt expansion Stanley Cup ala Colorado vs Florida (although half of that is relocation oriented) or you get a Canadian stalwart against a Sun Belt team lots of people don't think should have ever existed.

Personally, I am pulling for San Jose and I think they will win as they are way more talented than anyone Vancouver has played in the playoffs.
    Unlike the Panthers, Tampa actually has been getting a much better draw in terms of crowd numbers at their games the last couple of years. To be honest, I'd pull the Panthers out since they not only suck major ass when it comes to performance, but their popularity and ticket sales have been atrocious for a few years now since they can't compete with anyone. They dumped pretty much all their great players after having drafted like 3 or 4 great guys, all of whom have been traded now, they have almost nothing and won't be able to afford big contracts for key players that they either draft or get through free agency. I'd say the Lightning are not only a much more competitive team, but they have had great fan support even after they shit the bed after their cup win several years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You must not have been alive in the 90's when we got fucked by Kerry Fraiser and the penalty call against the Leafs that caused us to lose game 7 of the Conference Final against LA when Gretzky put his stick in Doug Gilmour's face right in front of Kerry Fraiser and he didn't call the penalty on the play and instead called interference against the Leafs or some bullshit like that which caused us to lose the game. Some refs fuck people over, but any diehard Leafs fan will tell you that refs have had the biggest bias against us for years even in the regular season. I have seen more stupid penalty calls against Toronto in recent years that wound up costing us games because of goals scored against us due to a penalty kill.
    Ya that play was pretty terrible. Too be fair though, Kerry Frasier was just a tremendous douche bag and certainly seemed to always have a bias. Too busy wondering if his hair is getting messed up under his helmet more than likely. God I hate Frasier.

Detroit fans are going to say the same thing though. So are Rangers fans. So are Bruins, and Flyers, and Pens fans. So will the Coyotes fan. Bias is incredibly impossible to determine as a biased individual. Maybe bias can be assumed on part of franchises the NHL is trying to prop up, because lets be honest a win for Phoenix directly translates to more money in the NHL's pocket as they own the team. Well, I suppose in the case of Phoenix the proper terminology would be it is less money OUT of their pockets as Phoenix doesn't make the league any money and just drains money from the other teams in the league that do turn a profit. You know your franchise shouldn't exist when the $25 million stipend the city of Glendale fives to the NHL only covers about 60% of the losses for the franchise for the season.

I forgot where I was going with anything I was saying before. I got sidetracked by my intense hate of Glendale and Bettman for insisting on wasting yet another year on a failed franchise when there are wealthy Canadian owners or owners in other US markets willing to write the NHL a check for the full purchase price plus a relocation fee. They have turned away what 5 Canadian owners that wanted to move the team to Hamilton, Winnipeg or split home games between Glendale and Saskatoon or some place. Instead they are on there about 8th perspective US buyer who yet again isn't willing to put up enough of his own money to buy the franchise and wants protection from losses. We all know the NHL is going to end up doing the exact same thing with Atlanta. They are going to drag that crap out trying to find a local owner to keep the team there forcing the current owner to eventually just give up and relinquish control to the NHL. In the meantime Atlanta will continue to struggle on the ice and will continue to be the worst market in the NHL off the ice. More people live in the Village I live in than watch Atlanta Thrashers games on television locally. How about that for pathetic.

And throughout the whole upcoming Atlanta ordeal, True North Sports will have a $170,000,000.00 check sitting on Bettman's desk to cover a $100 million price along with a ludicrous $70 million relocation fee.

I think the moral of the story is the NHL is biased against traditional markets on and off the ice when it involves Bettman's expansions in the South, but certainly isn't biased in games involving traditional teams at least seemingly when it would come to their crown jewel the Maple Leafs. Then again, the NHL can afford to be biased against them to boost the rest of the league because the fan base is so enormous and so blind with love that they continue to fill the ACC every night regardless of how awful the Leafs. They might even actually be good next season. /scarythought

remember asera that if the bruins pull off this series to call the cops again!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    San Jose is good but i got Vancouver and Tampa advancing. haven't decided who wins THAT series but it will be good all around.
    I have )))

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kilj View Post
    remember asera that if the bruins pull off this series to call the cops again!!!
    the Bruins keep playing like they did in game 1 and we won't have anything to worry about.

---------- Post added 2011-05-15 at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    I have )))
    shocking. you mean a Vancouver fan is going to choose Vancouver to go all the way? never saw that coming.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by kilj View Post
    Keep dreaming, hon.

---------- Post added 2011-05-15 at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Off-Topic: No more Montreal Goblin avatar?
    Well, Montreal has been out for a while, and I race changed.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Unlike the Panthers, Tampa actually has been getting a much better draw in terms of crowd numbers at their games the last couple of years. To be honest, I'd pull the Panthers out since they not only suck major ass when it comes to performance, but their popularity and ticket sales have been atrocious for a few years now since they can't compete with anyone. They dumped pretty much all their great players after having drafted like 3 or 4 great guys, all of whom have been traded now, they have almost nothing and won't be able to afford big contracts for key players that they either draft or get through free agency. I'd say the Lightning are not only a much more competitive team, but they have had great fan support even after they shit the bed after their cup win several years ago.
    I went to the San Jose v Florida game back in February where the Sharks lost 3-2. Majority of the people their were wearing a Sharks Jersey or a Dan Boyle Lightning Jersey. Totally awesome. The only way the Panthers can bring fans in is if a big name team is coming to town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Bruins looked fairly sub par in game one. I still have hope though that they can pull it together, an ugly game one loss does not mean you are out of it.

Biggest thing for us is getting Bergeron back on the ice, you could see how big of a presence he has on the team by his absence last night. And no, I don't blame the loss last night just on him not being there. The whole team just played bad.

It was great to see Seguin get the goal and assist. It really shows he has the confidence to be apart of a playoff roster.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

thought this should be shared...

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Oh that picture is excellent.. xD
    red panda red panda red panda!

shocking. you mean a Vancouver fan is going to choose Vancouver to go all the way? never saw that coming.
    There are two type of Canuck fans.
    Those who think we are going to go all the way each year
    And those who think they are going to choke at a moments notice.

With about 35 seconds left, Boston went into cheap shot mode. Horton tries to throw a check going into the boards in the offensive zone, but ends up getting muscled down by the Tamp player, Dom Moore. Horton gets up off the ice and just absolutely sucker punches him right in the face. Hedman comes oover and puts a stick in Horton's skate to get in his face about the hit and Lucic comes from out of nowhere and punches an unsuspecting Hedman in the face. Frankly, the NHL needs to sit both Horton and Lucic next game. They both landed incredibly cheap shots in garbage time after getting beaten. Lucic's came well after the whistle. If the NHL is serious about discipline and limiting injury they will both be suspended for at least a game for those cheap shots. Plays like that are far worse than the boarding crap they keep suspending guys for.
    Here's a video of that deal. I think both of 'em ought to be suspended, but I'm a biased Lightning fan.

I don't see what Bruins fans have to be proud of.. their team is known for being, and behaves like a bunch of monkeys that require anger management.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    longview just sent this to me in IRC. Amazing!

half hour til the canucks game.

predictions?

3-2 vancouver
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

It's Hackey Tonight
    I remember it all too well

10+ Year Old Account
    Sharks need game 1 bad.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin