Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    Going through the wiki I see that pets are in fact capable of applying conditions, vulnerability being one of them.
    Yes but you can't control when this happens, it's just passive stuff which doesn't require skill/timing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Oh it's the fact that you can absolutely ignore pets 100% that anoys me though. (and the fact that they just follow you whilst dead) The statement regarding, we want rangers to use pets seems to have been a very long shot. You basicly get 3commands for a pet atm which just is silly. (also due to healing being selfreliant, you can't really say oh my pet is at 70% hp I'll use my healing skill to get it up. Since you'll probably need to use it "soon")

To me there should be a clear advantage using pets (they rez u 50%faster) or puts up vulnerability if attacking from the back. stuff like that. Now people (me included) just ignore them completely.
    Many of the pets have self-healing mechanics, but I'm surprised that some of them don't have it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 02:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I simply don't like an external source of my abilities. No AI can fix it. It's a mechanical issue I dislike.
    I don't know why you see it as external. The pet is an extension of your character and does not exist without your character, and you have full control over which pet you use. I tend to look at pets as simply a DoT effect that is always up and can be killed by incoming damage, but that damage is not directed at you if it does happen to be applied to the pet (which, in my book, is an extra bonus), unless it's AoE damage. It can be considered to be a condition that cannot be removed by condition-removal skills/traits.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-14 at 08:02 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't know why you see it as external. The pet is an extension of your character and does not exist without your character, and you have full control over which pet you use. I tend to look at pets as simply a DoT effect that is always up and can be killed by incoming damage, but that damage is not directed at you if it does happen to be applied to the pet (which, in my book, is an extra bonus), unless it's AoE damage. It can be considered to be a condition that cannot be removed by condition-removal skills/traits.
    Admittedly, I only spent a fraction of the time into researching the Ranger compared to other classes. So if damage, control & survival are not married to the pet at all in GW2- then cool.

What I don't like of pet classes in other MMOs is the pet being a source of those abilities; control, survival, damage. I don't want to manage an AI while managing myself to maintain parity in an encounter.

I got the impression baby sitting the pet in GW2 was kinda important to what a ranger wants to do in an encounter. Maybe I am mistaken. Haven't played one yet so my doubts here are mostly speculation + ignorance.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-14 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. I never had much trouble managing an AI in any game... it was at the point where I wasn't really managing it, so much as directing it (i.e. telling it "attack this" and leaving it there - in WoW specifically, I just macroed /petattack into certain spells, thus serving two purposes with one button - I typically put /petattack on my Aff lock, for example, into Haunt, since I'd only cast that at one target anyways, and could still use it as an attack command when it was on CD). I'm hoping ANet really does succeed in coding the pet AI to be better at keeping itself alive, because with the commands we're given, we should simply be able to go "attack this" and they do their job.

Damage, control, and survival are somewhat tied to pets, sure, but from what I've seen it's intended that most of it is automatic, but for the one commanded ability you have access to, which differs from pet to pet. I don't think these commanded abilities are damage abilities - one of the felines, for example, has a 30-second CD "roar" that applies an "extreme" amount of Might to nearby allies.
    I see pet choice as essentially picking a fourth utility skill, which also has some automatic/passive effects applied to enemies, whether it just be damage or an extra condition.

Personally, I only have a problem with relying on pets for such things if the pet is a short duration, long cooldown summon, like the Enhancement Shaman Feral Spirit. I have to admit, I'm VERY happy that Spirit Walk is no longer tied to those wolves, but I'm not happy that they gave it a 2-minute CD... such a long CD for a sprint, and it furthers the idea that everything a Shaman does, other people do better.
    It's nice that my sprint and root-break no longer requires me to first blow one of my damage CDs, but I'm not happy about the CD still being the same.

I will admit the whole pet AI thing is something that makes me dislike Mesmer illusions... but only in the sense that they cannot survive boss AoE attacks and dodge out of them, and I'm not sure that ANet intends to change that.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-14 at 10:22 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I still have Squirrelbanes!

You are simply dust to the Charr-Asura Coalition Warmachine.
    Awwww.
    ...sorry for the late reply >.>
    I've been busy working all day......and having fun afking glint's challenge in gw1 haha.

On a positive note, components for my new PC have started arriving! BWE2 here I come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Awwww.
    ...sorry for the late reply >.>
    I've been busy working all day......and having fun afking glint's challenge in gw1 haha.

On a positive note, components for my new PC have started arriving! BWE2 here I come!
    Yay!

You 2, get a room.
    Ur just jealous.
    It's ok though, perfectly understandable and can't blame u. Sadly though, giraffes are too big for our labs rooms.

Ur just jealous.
    It's ok though, perfectly understandable and can't blame u. Sadly though, giraffes are too big for our labs rooms.
    Probably a lot of gang probing going on in there

If by probing you mean the innermost nether regions of the Eternal Alchemy, yes...yes that's exactly what we're probing.
    All to make golems to better keeeeeeeellllllllll u with!

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*

Please refrain from posting memes on the forums. The only place they're borderline allowed is the GW2 MMOC thread. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-05-14 at 04:52 PM.

Deleted
    Pic up for 500k subs @ Facebook.

Link: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...48076209_n.jpg

If you read the text... it's not just awesome, nor epic but legen - wait for it - DARY! God that's just simply THE COOLEST THING EVER!
    Though, he's smaller than I expected...

Ding! We've reached 500,000 Facebook followers and have the long-promised epicness for you: Destiny's Edge, together and taking on a foe that you'll find familiar. This is an actual in-game screenshot embellished by Daniel Dociu. You can find the image in its full high-res glory at http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenane...n/photostream/ ~RB2
    Last edited by mmoc0811aa1cbc; 2012-05-14 at 01:01 PM.

Meh, it's not that impressive. They should have just given us a normal screenshot.

Or maybe mix it with some concept art, not random Google images.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Though, he's smaller than I expected...
    Perspective. Consider that he's farther from the camera than Destiny's Edge is.

Plus that Caithe's bum looks big >.>

Deleted
    I want my sylvari female mesmer aka main to look like Caithe! Or with small changes.. but if it is possible to make such characters , I <3 it!

Plus that Caithe's bum looks big >.>
    You say that like it's a negative.

Also, have you pre-purchased and got your rig and everything yet, Mr. Squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You say that like it's a negative.

Also, have you pre-purchased and got your rig and everything yet, Mr. Squirrel?
    Just surprising with all the lithe sylvari references...but I'm sure it's just the leaf thing..

Pre-purchase - check
    rig - check
    but....waiting on the final pieces to be delivered. Got cpu, graphics and a monitor so far. Also praying that everything actually works. I went for a more reputable build it urself website here......but it's certainly still not as reliable as ones like newegg US.
    But yh...almost certainly will be there for the next BWE

Deleted
    I've noticed that he's far away, but still. I thought he was gonna be like giggigiigigigigigaaaaaaaaaaaantic! I mean, I wanted him to be as huge as it'd be almost hilarious but terrifying to see him ingame, he's huge indeed but could've been way bigger. :P
    Well well, now he'll be playable. As I imagined every computer would've totally crashed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    I've noticed that he's far away, but still. I thought he was gonna be like giggigiigigigigigaaaaaaaaaaaantic! I mean, I wanted him to be as huge as it'd be almost hilarious but terrifying to see him ingame, he's huge indeed but could've been way bigger. :P
    Well well, now he'll be playable. As I imagined every computer would've totally crashed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVLclPDCBE

Looks gigantic to me. Compared to the riding on Deathwing's back in the Spine of Deathwing encounter, I'd say he's just as large, and he's still considered small by Tyrian standards.