I just like to make sure that I understand people correctly.
    IMO the main issue is that a-net doesn't think things through. If you're going to work on content for months some of the basic things you should take into account is what the impact is. Failing to realise that you'll force people into joining big guilds is a very big oversight (which imo borders negligence) another really anoying thing is that if your in a X-realm guild and join their missions through guesting you won't get guild loot.

I also simply don't get why I'm punished for not being in the guild that kicked off the event, I deserve the commendations just as much, what I don't deserve are the additional unlocks for the guild that I'm in.

The biggest issue to me is that due to my focus being FotM I have to get the ascended jewelery asap since otherwise I fall behind of the "dedicated" players and then I'm stuck with noobs who rely on gear. To get the jewelery I have to join a PvE guild and do random stuff which doesn't interest me to not get kicked.

Hmm well from what I can tell you seem to be motivated by the rewards from the guild activities and the chance to push yourself in FotM. What I wanted to point out is that (from what I understand correct me if I'm wrong) the guild activities don't require you to be in the guild to participate in the event but a-net put something in to make it more worth while to be in the guild.

Is it possible for a-net to put a new system in that makes being in a guild better than not being in one without making it a requirement. Can the content that they add be available to everyone without you having to group up or be in a guild, but still provide a decent challenge and give decent rewards. While also making it more appealing to take part in the social aspects of the game.

I thought the guild activities were a good step in the right direction. To give players a reason to even be in a guild, to provide content that a guild can take part in to unlock and accomplish. All while not making it a requirement to be in the guild to participate in the content. It's one thing to be able play the game and have fun but for others it more fun with meaningful rewards and a decent challenge otherwise for some it's like why bother.

Deleted
    i dont get people first it is: being in a guild is worthless!!!! we need something to do with the guild!!!!

anet:
    well lets give them what they wanted!!!

people:
    DAFUQ i have to be in a guild to do fucking content 0.o wait its get worse!!! i need to play with damn people in an mmo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    i dont get people first it is: being in a guild is worthless!!!! we need something to do with the guild!!!!

anet:
    well lets give them what they wanted!!!
    Hi
    people:
    DAFUQ i have to be in a guild to do fucking content 0.o wait its get worse!!! i need to play with damn people in an mmo!
    That isn't a good assessment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    "My kids have played Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft. In World of Warcraft they need constant supervision. I have to show them where their quests are, where to go, who to talk to, how their skills work- all this stuff. They get lost! And they end up just doing whatever and not getting much done.

However, in Guild Wars 2 they are on auto pilot. They can just do whatever and end up getting a lot done by just playing."
    While I understand what he's saying, I still find that difficult to believe about WoW. Have you ever seen a children's show on TV and the content is so dumbed down it actually causes your brain distress? That is what they've done in WoW. The last time I played their new (since Cata, I believe) tutorial I was so hand-held I could barely stand it. How can you possibly not know where to go or what to do?

Plus, I'm not really sure a game being able to tout that their 2-year old (or whatever) can play it is necessarily a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like how GW2 is set up for the most part and it certainly has made things easier playing with my bf (I like completing objectives, he likes mindlessly killing, now we both get what we want :P), but that's still an odd statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    forced socialization? don't think I've ever seen that in a game
    Well, forced grouping. I think a lot of people hope for socialization (in vain). There are simply too broad a range of players in MMOs. Fortunately, I haven't had to group in GW2 except for those 5 dungeons (thus far), but in other MMOs it wasn't unusual for me to end up with people half my age or twice my age, neither of which I had anything in common with other than playing the game. It turns objectives into basically randomly assigned group projects. You do what you have to do to get it done, but at the end the likelihood of actually having friendly or ongoing interaction with your partners is extremely slim.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-03-01 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    While I understand what he's saying, I still find that difficult to believe about WoW. Have you ever seen a children's show on TV and the content is so dumbed down it actually causes your brain distress? That is what they've done in WoW. The last time I played their new (since Cata, I believe) tutorial I was so hand-held I could barely stand it. How can you possibly not know where to go or what to do
    I played a little of Cata, like a month worth. But I quit sometime around early Lich King and that was the last I tried the game again; Cataclysm.

I can't really make a fair assessment from personal experience of the host's statement. I give him the benefit of doubt though w/r/t World of Warcraft. It is simply not a game I enjoy or play. All I know of the game is design based.

Plus, I'm not really sure a game being able to tout that their 2-year old (or whatever) can play it is necessarily a good thing.
    Well, he has a whole youttube series of his children playing Guild Wars 2. It's like Tyria with Toddlers or something. Fairly entertaining.

However, for good or ill Guild Wars 2 is an astonishingly simplistic game. I do think it would require more thought to play traditional MMOs than GW2.

Just as an example, my sister didn't upgrade her gear the first week of launch since level 12. We got to Mount Maelstrom before she bought stuff. Almost nothing seems to matter in GW2 other than movement. My Ranger has died like 38 times total and I have like MF gear for the whole of the game.

There is a mathematical reality in games such as Everquest or Radiant Arcana by which you as a player will need X, Y or Z to live or continue play.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-01 at 05:42 PM.

I just think back to all of my favorite games (PC and console) and I can't recall any that a toddler could play and actually make progress. MMOs are kind of a different breed though, I suppose. Sometimes it does make me miss single player RPG/adventure games that required retaining information, puzzle solving, etc. I've been waxing nostalgic on King's Quest and Quest for Glory lately.

As for gear, since upgrading in GW2 is so cheap I usually get a whole new set every 5-10 levels (depends a lot on what prefixes are available). At 1c above vendor price, why not? Technically, yeah, I probably didn't need it. I'm fairly convinced all you need in GW2 is a weapon (only because there's no unarmed combat) and nothing else. As a lark I should make an alt and level completely naked.

My 2 year old nephew can play Black Ops 2 online for Playstation. He plays that nuketown map, knows how to turn on the system and get in game. He doesn't know how to strafe. But can spin in place and shoot.

He also knows how to start an ipad, DS and PSP and play the games on them.

I dunno. Kids can play games pretty alright these days.

I have no knowledge of any of that. Never played Black Ops, don't own an iPad/DS/PSP, and there are no kids in my life to observe. Didn't start playing video games myself until I was 5-6 years old, so well out of toddler range, and obviously the games back then were nothing like they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Failing to realise that you'll force people into joining big guilds is a very big oversight (which imo borders negligence) another really anoying thing is that if your in a X-realm guild and join their missions through guesting you won't get guild loot.

I also simply don't get why I'm punished for not being in the guild that kicked off the event, I deserve the commendations just as much, what I don't deserve are the additional unlocks for the guild that I'm in.
    who cares if you have to join a bigger guild for guild missions? it's not like you're stuck with a single guild anyways.
    hell, i bet most people didn't have more than 2-3 guilds up until now (1 "main" guild, 1 you may have created to unlock a "personal" guild bank, and maybe 1 "alt" guild).
    you (that "you" actually includes all those who think like you do) and only you are the one(s) who are forcing yourselves to join up bigger guilds for those missions.
    imo rewards are okay but nothing like it would make me join some random guild filled of idiots i don't know for the sake of doing missions.

as for the rewards, it's not like you're punished for not being in their guild, it's more like they're rewarded because they (as a whole) contributed to the influence which was required to fire the event, which you did not.
    matter of POV...

The biggest issue to me is that due to my focus being FotM I have to get the ascended jewelery asap since otherwise I fall behind of the "dedicated" players and then I'm stuck with noobs who rely on gear. To get the jewelery I have to join a PvE guild and do random stuff which doesn't interest me to not get kicked.
    almost no one in my guild is interested in FotM, which means i had to farm my stuff (including rings & trinkets) all the way with close to no "help" from any of my guildmates with like 95% pugs, the very few runs i did with them were mostly to help them level their FotM from scratch when they felt like it (meaning no AR drops involved).
    ofc, there were still bad days because many pugs are lead by idiots who have stupid preconceived ideas, like i dunno, a guardian / mesmer/ "tank" warrior being mandatory or things alike.
    and i did just fine without joining any random PvE guild.

seems to me like you love making up stuff from nothing really...

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    who cares if you have to join a bigger guild for guild missions? it's not like you're stuck with a single guild anyways.
    hell, i bet most people didn't have more than 2-3 guilds up until now (1 "main" guild, 1 you may have created to unlock a "personal" guild bank, and maybe 1 "alt" guild).
    you (that "you" actually includes all those who think like you do) and only you are the one(s) who are forcing yourselves to join up bigger guilds for those missions.
    imo rewards are okay but nothing like it would make me join some random guild filled of idiots i don't know for the sake of doing missions.

as for the rewards, it's not like you're punished for not being in their guild, it's more like they're rewarded because they (as a whole) contributed to the influence which was required to fire the event, which you did not.
    matter of POV...

almost no one in my guild is interested in FotM, which means i had to farm my stuff (including rings & trinkets) all the way with close to no "help" from any of my guildmates with like 95% pugs, the very few runs i did with them were mostly to help them level their FotM from scratch when they felt like it (meaning no AR drops involved).
    ofc, there were still bad days because many pugs are lead by idiots who have stupid preconceived ideas, like i dunno, a guardian / mesmer/ "tank" warrior being mandatory or things alike.
    and i did just fine without joining any random PvE guild.

seems to me like you love making up stuff from nothing really...
    I care since it leeches members away from smaller guilds, which you don't seem to understand.
    I care because I have the maximum of 5guilds joined (1wvw, 1hardcore fotm/cof, 1spvp, 1 personal bank and another trading guild shared between friends).
    I care because I can no longer play with the people from my wvw/spvp guild since all "big" pve guilds on my server require 100% representation (which I've already stated and which karizee enforced by saying how easy it is for a guild to replace someone once they're at 500members).

If I do the exact same thing as others in an encounter, I deserve the exact same rewards. I didn't unlock those rewards so I shouldn't be able to unlock them myself (or gain the possibility to do so) and that part I am fine with.

Look at it as a movie project. A group of friends get started on a project and make sure there's a screenplay, actors and workers. And you are one of the editors. Granted I did nothing to make this movie happen but I did weigh in on the out-come and thus should be rewarded.

For your second part:
    What FotM are you on? I did 0-35 all with pugs and then made an elite cof/fotm guild to get up to 50 without having to deal with retards.
    The thing is that now due to this lovely patch, I am forced to join a guild that has the influence to do the missions inorder to get the next pieces of ascended gear and stay on the same level as other people who are on fotm 50+, do you get how anoying it is that I was forced to leave my own guild just to stay up to par with others?

seems to me like you lack empathy...

Deleted
    Anyone else noticed a fps ( less laggy aswell ) improvement after today's update when doing major events?

Quote Originally Posted by almosthuman View Post
    Anyone else noticed a fps ( less laggy aswell ) improvement after today's update when doing major events?
    I'd wait until primetime to see if there is any improvement. The lag yesterday for all major bosses was ridiculous. Karka event level ridiculous.

EDIT = Nope, still a massive lag fest when I did Teq. Not as quite as bad as yesterday but still pretty damn bad.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-03-02 at 01:29 AM.

snip
    not everyone have joined 5 guilds like you have.
    even if they did, that still doesn't change that no one is forcing anyone into doing those missions, and should you choose to join a bigger guild to run those missions, that still ends up being your decision and yours alone, not anet or anyone else. not to mention being in some other guild doesn't prevent you from playing/trading with anyone, which make some of your QQ points pretty moot imo.

as for the missions rewards, that's again a matter of POV but i find it pretty logical they way they did atm. XXX guild runs a mission, and members from XXX guild get guild commendations for completing it and you get items/XP/whatever for participating. i see no reason in the world as of why you should get any guild commendation for their mission if you don't belong to their guild in the first place. end of story.

should we take back your example of a movie, you wouldn't be the editor but barely some extra they took to have some random people in their scenes. as such, you may get some money/food/whatever for that, but certainly not as much as the actual main actors and staff around.

as for fotm, i'm not currently running 50+ and i don't think i'll try going that far, that said, while i may agree it was a stupid from anet to not put amulets/trinkets as rewards for higher levels of fotm (unless i'm mistaken amulets/trinkets can idd only be bought with laurels or commendations atm), i doubt they'll leave it at that.
    then again, if even my small ass guild can have enough influence to start missions (and we have like 10- people on average atm), i don't really see how none of the 4 guilds you joined wouldn't be able to do as much.
    sure we won't start the high end missions, but if you're so into fotm that you want to stay on par with the rest of those you play with, i don't really see how big of a sacrifice that would be to leave the least "usefull" of those 4 to join another one.

makes me wonder how much QQ that would have been if you could only belong to a single guild as in gw1...

My love of DEs is evidenced by the fact that I'm already done with the March monthly quota of them. :P

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    not everyone have joined 5 guilds like you have.
    even if they did, that still doesn't change that no one is forcing anyone into doing those missions, and should you choose to join a bigger guild to run those missions, that still ends up being your decision and yours alone, not anet or anyone else. not to mention being in some other guild doesn't prevent you from playing/trading with anyone, which make some of your QQ points pretty moot imo.
    I don't have any choice, I'm forced to change guilds to stay on par with my current "peers". Also do you know what a hastle it is to pm 18ppl to ask them if/when they have time to do FotM?

An extra is one of the worst comparisons you can make since everyone contributes equally to "a kill" while an extra is only in the screen for 5min. If you stick with actors it's more like you're making a movy with 20ppl where everyone gets the same screen time yet some get paid more for no reason at all.

You don't understand the issues I have since you're not on the same level as me, that's all.

O.M.G. Do you know what this is?! [&AgFmmgAA]

It's Tybalt! I must have this item.

You don't understand the issues I have since you're not on the same level of QQness as me, that's all.
    fixed.

not really Anet's fault if you can't figure how to choose which guilds you want to stay in, really.
    if they didn't put any limitations in how many members a guild could have (and 500 doesn't make any sense to me already given how huge this is) or how many guilds you could join, they might as well have stated from the start the whole server player base belonged to a single guild to begin with or just not bother with guilds at all.

and the extra comparison is actually the closest you could take since they make no difference between some player who joined the mission right from the start and those who joined when it was at 80%+ completion. the same way you could be on the screen during all the final movie or only 5mn, in the end, you're still an extra and not one of the main characters.
    those who belong to the guild contributed to the mission before it even started, so again, no, no logic in putting you on the same level as them.

so yeah, i'm not on the same level of logic as you i guess.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2013-03-02 at 03:17 AM.

past couple of nights the lag has been unbearable, just been completing the dailies and then logging out, can't play with this lag

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    past couple of nights the lag has been unbearable, just been completing the dailies and then logging out, can't play with this lag
    There is definitely something wrong. The dragons are a nightmare and last night I quickly tried to complete the dodge daily with the worms as I normally do. It was impossible. The spit landed as the guy was arching. Even dodging as he arched would avoid the spit but not give a dodge. They need to fix this ASAP, It's very annoying.