I'm looking to start playing gw2. How is the balance for pv e? Are there dmg meters? Is there a cycle of op classes and weak classes?

For soloing content, what class would you recommend?

Also, the gear in this game looks sick. I was very impressed with the hellfire set which looks like it is obtained by achievements. Is this hard to acquire?

Thanks.
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    I'm looking to start playing gw2. How is the balance for pv e? Are there dmg meters? Is there a cycle of op classes and weak classes?

For soloing content, what class would you recommend?

Also, the gear in this game looks sick. I was very impressed with the hellfire set which looks like it is obtained by achievements. Is this hard to acquire?

Thanks.

The balance is pretty good. The only thing you really see ppl complain about is Necromancers not being desired for the PvE "meta" (the absolute min/max teams for leet dungeon speed runs), but that's a very small crowd that does that. There are no damage meters, no addons at all in fact (although you are free to use overlays).

Here's an old but relevant guide to picking a class:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...mmary_of_each/

No one in the world currently has a full hellfire set, the final item (the chestpiece) requires 30k points and the highest earned so far is 28,652. It's a fierce race and remarkable effort to get this.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/achievements

Some of the lower tier achievement pieces are much easier to obtain and I have seen some very cool mock hellfires built around them with other fiery sets filling in the missing chest and legs.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    The balance is pretty good. The only thing you really see ppl complain about is Necromancers not being desired for the PvE "meta" (the absolute min/max teams for leet dungeon speed runs), but that's a very small crowd that does that. There are no damage meters, no addons at all in fact (although you are free to use overlays).

Here's an old but relevant guide to picking a class:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...mmary_of_each/

No one in the world currently has a full hellfire set, the final item (the chestpiece) requires 30k points and the highest earned so far is 28,652. It's a fierce race and remarkable effort to get this.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/achievements

Some of the lower tier achievement pieces are much easier to obtain and I have seen some very cool mock hellfires built around them with other fiery sets filling in the missing chest and legs.
    thanks for the detailed response! How would you rate Guardians in terms of DPS if you chose to go that route?
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the detailed response! How would you rate Guardians in terms of DPS if you chose to go that route?
    Guardians are currently part of the meta in all 3 game modes (PvE, WvW + PvP). They are the closest thing this game has to a tank, but don't be fooled - they can dish the damage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOgxrYssI0M

I'd say it's a good choice for someone new to the GW2 combat system
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Guardians are currently part of the meta in all 3 game modes (PvE, WvW + PvP). They are the closest thing this game has to a tank, but don't be fooled - they can dish the damage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOgxrYssI0M

I'd say it's a good choice for someone new to the GW2 combat system
    Who would you say has the highest potential dmg?

Who would you say has the highest potential dmg?
    In PVE, Elementalist (best burst DPS) then Engineer (best sustained DPS).
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2015-08-02 at 08:58 AM.

For leveling, do I just following the story mode quests? I read you can do your first dungeon at 30...which kinda sucks it's so far out

For leveling, do I just following the story mode quests? I read you can do your first dungeon at 30...which kinda sucks it's so far out
    I use the story as a guideline and focus on renown hearts. Also, go exploring if you need some more exp, find vistas, points of interest, do any events that pop up near you. Since exp you get is based on a percent of your current level, you can explore literally any zone for your level or lower(you don't scale up, so trying to explore one of the zones in Orr at level 10 won't end well for you). Level until you unlock more story, do that story, and go back to leveling.

Ya, dungeons start at level 30 is Ascalon Catacombs Story mode, then at level 35 you unlock explorable mode, at level 40 you unlock Caudecus Manor Story, then Explorable at 45, ect. Dungeons are great exp the first time through, but aren't as efficient on subsequent runs through story mode.

For leveling you get the most XP by doing the various dynamic events around the zone. Just need to wander the map and explore. A few patches ago they added a event tracker icon on the map to show you where the nearest dynamic event is. Just go to your Options, "General Options" tab and select "Disable Personal Story" on the "Content Guide". That will now show you the nearest dynamic event while you're on the map with a round orange icon.

Deleted
    I never felt (particularly the first time around) that I was waiting to get to the first dungeon. There is so much other things you are doing, learning and experiencing along the way, particularly the story quest, to keep you busy. Don't neglect your crafting in a rush to level up, it's a good source of exp!

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I brought this game on launch, played it for a week and then quit. The new expansion information has me kind of interested, especially since there's no monthly fee and I think the new necromancer info looks REALLY awesome. My question though: are necros still garbage in pve? Also, do the dungeons get any better later on after the one manor place (I forget the name). I assume this game isn't as dungeon/raid fpcised as say, WoW and FF14, but I was just curious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabacr View Post
    I brought this game on launch, played it for a week and then quit. The new expansion information has me kind of interested, especially since there's no monthly fee and I think the new necromancer info looks REALLY awesome. My question though: are necros still garbage in pve? Also, do the dungeons get any better later on after the one manor place (I forget the name). I assume this game isn't as dungeon/raid fpcised as say, WoW and FF14, but I was just curious.
    I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. My necromancer is my only character, and has 130 days out of 1075 days played

Garbage is much much too strong a word. I've been doing dungeons and low level fractals since I returned and I find I contribute in my own way to the team. We may not have the more obvious group buffs of Might, however we can bring decent group healing and condition clearing/moving. The problem as it stands is that content is too easy, and the (I hate this word) Meta game at the moment is to bring so much dps to the boss fight that you don't have time to worry about any complex fight tactics, you don't have time to apply, clear, move remove conditions, if the fight is only 10 seconds long.

So the Necromancer 'problem' is that they are not an optimal profession to buff the group dps to this level. However, in some of the pugs I've done I've been the last one standing to finish a boss because all the melee failed at dodging some whirlwinding bleeding attack. The Necromancer has higher survivability than the other scholar classes and can Kite, Condition and Self heal enough to finish the last 20-30% of most bosses.

The Reaper, as it stands now on the wiki, doesn't address any of these issues, they don't have any group buffs. However, I would argue that someone that applies sufficient utility conditions (vulnerability/chill) to targets that increases their damage taken by the team or reduces their damage output is a form of group buff.

Either way, if you find a guild that doesn't enforce the strict min max meta game currently (as I have found) then you will enjoy the game quite a lot as a Necromancer.

Stood in the Fire Lisa Frank Succubus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I'm in almost the exact same boat as you. My necromancer is my only character, and has 130 days out of 1075 days played

Garbage is much much too strong a word. I've been doing dungeons and low level fractals since I returned and I find I contribute in my own way to the team. We may not have the more obvious group buffs of Might, however we can bring decent group healing and condition clearing/moving. The problem as it stands is that content is too easy, and the (I hate this word) Meta game at the moment is to bring so much dps to the boss fight that you don't have time to worry about any complex fight tactics, you don't have time to apply, clear, move remove conditions, if the fight is only 10 seconds long.

So the Necromancer 'problem' is that they are not an optimal profession to buff the group dps to this level. However, in some of the pugs I've done I've been the last one standing to finish a boss because all the melee failed at dodging some whirlwinding bleeding attack. The Necromancer has higher survivability than the other scholar classes and can Kite, Condition and Self heal enough to finish the last 20-30% of most bosses.

The Reaper, as it stands now on the wiki, doesn't address any of these issues, they don't have any group buffs. However, I would argue that someone that applies sufficient utility conditions (vulnerability/chill) to targets that increases their damage taken by the team or reduces their damage output is a form of group buff.

Either way, if you find a guild that doesn't enforce the strict min max meta game currently (as I have found) then you will enjoy the game quite a lot as a Necromancer.
    I'm just going to level and maybe try to find some guild that likes to do a few pve things, not too interested in pvp. Sounds like fun .

Deleted
    Will we have access to our wardrobe for the beta characters? Or will we be using our current characters anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    Will we have access to our wardrobe for the beta characters? Or will we be using our current characters anyway?
    The way they have been doing it is the beta slots are a copy of your account, so your wardrobe skins and transmutation charges should be there but things you do in the beta slots aren't translated back to your main account in anyway. So like if you put a set of ascended gear into your bank before the copy was made you'd be able to make a beta character and use that ascended gear, but it would still be in the bank for any of your normal toons.

I am pretty sure that's how this one will work as well, though I haven't seen an exact confirmation of that yet.

Deleted
    Yay I'm going to be such a pretty angel guardian with my new bow skin

Oh yeah, beta this weekend. I'll probably muck around a bit on a guardian to see how the bow works, but I don't want to spoil much beyond that.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Will we be able to make revenants this beta weekend?
    BAD WOLF

Ok I did not pre purchase but I got the heart og magumma thing that dropped in silverwaste which is suppose to give me access to ALL beta events

so why the fuck did I not get into beta?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

No, it was only able to get you into the first beta event that was done about a couple of months ago before we could purchase HoT (I got the Heart too).